• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I prevent my profiterole puffs from tasting like eggs?

maybe because I use a silicone liner ?Some people use a silicone liner and some don't. I just spray well with the Kitchen Spritzer and they have never stuck...maybe because I use a silicone liner ?
soonerchef
Has anyone made more than 1 batch at a time? I need to make three batches and was wondering if I should just triple the recipe...anyone tried it?

TIA

I have, and it works out fine.

Great, off to try it now, thank you!

puffs sticking to panAnyone having trouble getting them out of the pan? I've made these twice (at home...not a show yet) and even though I sprayed the pan they were SO hard to get out of the pan. Any suggestions?:confused:

Did you use the PC mini-muffin pan? I had extra batter one time and used an extra aluminum pan I had and it stuck pretty badly to it. They pop right out of the PC pan!

I always just spritz mine REALLY well and they pop right out with my quikcut knife.:confused:

Eggy taste?Is anyone having problems with them tasting like eggs?:mad: I'd love to use these at my shows, but mine ALWAYS end up tasting like eggs.

DZmom said:
Is anyone having problems with them tasting like eggs?:mad: I'd love to use these at my shows, but mine ALWAYS end up tasting like eggs.
Donna,

I think you are either not incorporating the eggs enough or more likely undercooking them. I have made cream puffs for years (with this very recipe!) and they always turn out!

As far as sticking... I have never had a problem in the PC mini-muffin pan and I rarely spray it. You can also make these on a stone. Works great!

i had that problem too with the eggs but it didnt taste bad. you could just tell egg was in it. mine havent stuck either.

My last ones tasted AWFUL! Just like scrambled eggs covered in cream filling and chocolate! PUKE!

Last edited:
puffsWhen I made mine I added just a touch of honey to the dough and it tasted really good! Alot of guests asked for the reciepe....

Vanilla helpsUsing vanilla in the mix for the puff helps mask the flavor of the egg. Just 1/2 teaspoon does the trick.

Last night was the first time that I have made them and they did not taste like eggs and they actually fell out of the PC Mini Muffin Pan and I didn't even spray the pan, they were yummy! I have to say that mixing a triple batch is very difficult on the arm, I had to have hubby mix unitl it was completely smooth.

I use Wilton Cake Release for most things now instead of grease/flour or oil to ensure things don't stick.
I've had nothing but trouble in the past getting things out of the mini-muffin pan and this Cake Release is awesome!!!

I started using the Pam with the flour, have had great success so far!

Just out of curiosity...are any of you guys putting your mini muffin pan in the dishwasher?

I had a friend who put hers in the dishwasher and it stopped being non-stick and nothing came out easily.

I haven't made the puffs but the more I use the pan the more difficult it is to get things out. The PC spritzer doesn't seem to get it to work just right so PAM seems better. The citrus peeler is great for getting items out of the pan since it's not metal (a great cross sell item). Also, even thought most recipes say to cool completely, I never do. Let it cool for 3-4 minutes and then take it out before it really sticks in the pan...BEE

Andrea--I always wash mine in the dishwasher. The only problem I had was the first time I made the puffs. I used the spritzer as called for, but the oil got all over the pan. It made a sticky residue that didn't dishwasher off. I used my pan at a host's home this past weekend and he hand washed it for me and got all of the sticky off.

My only other issue is the tart shaper. I can never get that thing to work!! The batter or dough or cookie or brownie (whatever I'm shaping) always gets stuck to it or it rips it apart. Any suggestions? I've tried oiling it, flouring it, and using it dry.

Chef Kearns said:
Andrea-

My only other issue is the tart shaper. I can never get that thing to work!! The batter or dough or cookie or brownie (whatever I'm shaping) always gets stuck to it or it rips it apart. Any suggestions? I've tried oiling it, flouring it, and using it dry.

Yup - put flour in a prep bowl and dip tart shaper in it every few times you dip. :) I just leave the flour in the prep bowl with the flour in until you are done with those recipes.

I just spray well with the Kitchen Spritzer and they have never stuck in my PC mini-muffin pan. I have also made them in my other non-PC mini-muffin and they stuck there.

its_me_susan said:
Yup - put flour in a prep bowl and dip tart shaper in it every few times you dip. :) I just leave the flour in the prep bowl with the flour in until you are done with those recipes.

I too use flour with the tart shaper, it's the only thing that seems to work.

I never had a problem with sticking either - I use the mini muffin pan and spritz with PAM - the puffs just fall out also! I take them out of the pan using the quickut knife which puts a hole in the top allowing the steam to come out and the hole is already there for me to put the tip in. I have also never had a problem with them tasting like eggs - I use PC vanilla and have used the extra smooth Cool Whip - people die over these! I also drizzle a lot of chocolate and they are so yummy!! Does give your arm a workout and the egg problem sounds like the dough is not mixed enough - it does take a while! Good luck!

soonerchef said:
Just out of curiosity...are any of you guys putting your mini muffin pan in the dishwasher?

I had a friend who put hers in the dishwasher and it stopped being non-stick and nothing came out easily.

I get paranoid about what can and cannot go in the dishwasher, so I checked the product guide and it said that the mini muffin pan is NOT dishwasher safe. It's a good thing it's so nonstick and a snap to clean!:D

I know that all dishwashers are different, for my personal peace of mind, I only put my batter bowls and my kitchen brush (so it gets really clean) in there, I know that those will be ok.. For everything else, I hand wash. I just dont trust my dishwasher that much.. Its a pain to hand wash, but at least I know they wont get moved around or damaged in the dishwasher.

pamper_the_chef said:
Does give your arm a workout and the egg problem sounds like the dough is not mixed enough - it does take a while! Good luck!

I have to be honest. I have made the puffs before a show and then made the filling as part of the show. I don't whisk in the eggs, I use my mixer! It is SO MUCH EASIER! And it dosen't kill your arm! I know its cheating, but I am 7 months pregnant and the laziness factor is getting to me.

I always use my kitchen aid mixer for mixing the eggs in. It makes my arm too tired when I use the whisk!!

pcjulie said:
I get paranoid about what can and cannot go in the dishwasher, so I checked the product guide and it said that the mini muffin pan is NOT dishwasher safe. It's a good thing it's so nonstick and a snap to clean!:D

That is so strange:confused:

I always put mine in the dishwasher and I have not had any problems with it. I did use the spritzer with my first batch of puffs and it made it sticky. Threw it in the dishwasher and it came off. So now I don't use anything. My puffs come out great and they don't stick.

For those with dishwasher problems, have your plumber (or as in my case landlord) come and check the draining hoses. They may need to be cleaned or replaced. My landlord just replaced ours and it works just fine.

PuffsI have made the puffs for several shows and I find that using bakers joy in the mmpan works the best so they will pop right out.

Just a hint - I've been taking the Wilton classes and one of the first things the instructor told us is that regardless of what it says on the back of any cake/baking package, baking products should NOT be left in the pan at all after it comes out of the oven. She claims that it overbakes the cake/pastry because it continues to cook in the pan. She suggested that we use an elevated cooling rack covered with a soft towel. Flip the cake/pastry out onto the cooling rack immediately - with a well greased pan, this shouldn't be a problem. This eliminates dry, crusty edges. (also removes that hump that forms on the tops of most cakes and makes for a flat, even surface).

In the case of the puffs - I've made 2 batches. The first I left in the pan to cool. The second I took out RIGHT away. The first tasted like egg. The second ones were perfect (except for the cream). I asked the instructor about this and he said that the 1st batch was likely over cooked. This dried out the butter flavor leaving only the egg taste. Don't know if that's right, but the second batch WAS better.

1. What are profiterole puffs?

Profiterole puffs are small, light pastries made from choux dough and filled with a sweet or savory filling. They are typically served as a dessert or appetizer.

2. How do I make profiterole puffs?

You can make profiterole puffs using a combination of flour, butter, eggs, and water to create the choux dough. The dough is then piped onto a baking sheet and baked until puffed and golden brown. Once cooled, the puffs can be filled with your desired filling.

3. What types of fillings can I use for profiterole puffs?

There are endless possibilities for fillings in profiterole puffs. Some popular options include whipped cream, pastry cream, ice cream, chocolate ganache, and savory fillings like cheese or meat. You can also get creative and use fruit, jams, or other flavorings for unique fillings.

4. Can I make profiterole puffs ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the puffs ahead of time and store them in an airtight container for up to a day. However, it is best to fill them just before serving to ensure they stay crisp and fresh.

5. How should I store leftover profiterole puffs?

If you have leftover profiterole puffs, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To maintain their crispness, you can reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for a few minutes before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kam
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
akrebecca
  • kam