• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cream Puffs: Tried Chilling Filling & Light Whipped Topping?

In summary, Mike prefers to fill cream puffs with french vanilla instant pudding for a tasty treat that doesn't liquify as fast as whipped cream. Julie Myers suggests chilling the filling before filling the puffs, while others suggest using the Chillzanne for transport and a mini muffin pan for easier preparation. When making them at a show, one should wipe the tip of the EAD with a paper towel after every 4-5 puffs to avoid mess.
pcjulie
I made these last week and they were SO GOOD! The only complaint I had was that if you bit into them the wrong way all of the filling squirted out! :eek: Has anyone tried chilling the filling before filling the puffs? Also, I used light whipped topping instead of regular. Do you think that had anything to do with it? TIA

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

They are good!I have made them twice now and both times they squirted out when bit wrong. I think it is just that there is no where for the filling to go but out when you bite into them. The first time I made them they were chilled over night and I used regular Cool Whip both times, too. That's how regular cream puffs are too (even when the top is cut off to fill them). They are great, though!! :p

I've done them twice too, once with light and once with french vanilla flavored whipped cream--yummy! I also chilled one and not the other. The one I didn't chill, I have alot of stuffing left over?? Not sure why, maybe didn't fill them as much, but they seemed full enough when I ate them!! hehehe.

They are sooooo easy to make too. About 5 minutes total to mix up, longest part is cooking the puffs, and that couldn't get any easier!

Only problem I had with them is when I transported them to my show this weekend, had to press the brakes really hard and they rolled everywhere in my car!! (had to eat those ones!) oh darn........ :)

ange

I made them to take to a meeting and put them in the Chillzane Rectangular Server for transport. Worked perfect!

I have always made my own cream puffs but never in a mini muffin pan before. It really is easier this way!

I've made these several times and I prefer to fill them with french vanilla instant pudding. They taste great and the pudding holds well (doesn't liquify as fast as the whipped cream)

Mike

We also put them in the Chillzanne...both the rectangle and the new one...they were perfect!

Cluster MeetingWe made them at our Cluster Meeting last night and they are definitely a keeper. So easy and yummy. I was initially intimidated by the recipe (just ended SS1) but when we did it last night I will never be intimidated by a recipe again. Cluster meetings are a must in my opinion.

Cream Puffs v/s Profiterole PuffsI made "Real" cream puffs about a week ago and I will NEVER do that again! I used every bowl in the house and had to cook the filling and the dough! Profiterole Puffs are much easier! The filling is so much easier than the regular version!

I made them the other day and since I don't have the mini-muffin pan right now, I put them in the 6 cup muffin stone. It just took longer to cook but other than that, they turned out awesome! Definitely a lot bigger! Since I knew my husband and I weren't going to eat them all right then and there, I only filled up two, and kept the rest of the 4 unfilled. That way the cream wouldn't get the pasty part soggy. I left the cream in the EAD and left it in the fridge until I was ready to fill another one up.

Did you put parchment paper in the chillzannes to absorb the condensation? Did these get soggy overnight (or did you just refrigerate the cream)? Vanilla pudding sounds awesome! I will try these soon!

The cream in mine didn't liquify, I just filled the puffs so full that they squished out when I bit into them. Yummy..... Anyways, I refrigerated mine overnite with the cream in them and I was so suprised because they didn't get soggy at all! They were awesome. I think the only problem I had when making them was that the EAD got really messy and I had to keep wiping the tip off so it wouldn't make a mess on the puffs :)

I made them with real cream - I whipped it with the new balloon whisk and did the ice between the two large stainless steel bowls. AWESOME!

Thought about putting paper down to avoid condensation....but didn't, no matter, they were fine, though they were eaten within the hour I believe!

:)
Michael Serrano said:
I've made these several times and I prefer to fill them with french vanilla instant pudding. They taste great and the pudding holds well (doesn't liquify as fast as the whipped cream)

Mike

GREAT IDEA!

Wondered what happened to you Mike, haven't seen you on the boards!!!

now a dumb ?
Michael Serrano said:

Mike

Do you use the little box or big box of instant pudding :)

I made them ahead, and froze them in the rectangle Chillzanne. I just put them out about 15 minutes before serving and they were perfect. What a great treat to have when unexpected guests arrive. :)

Pampered Amy said:
The cream in mine didn't liquify, I just filled the puffs so full that they squished out when I bit into them. Yummy..... Anyways, I refrigerated mine overnite with the cream in them and I was so suprised because they didn't get soggy at all! They were awesome. I think the only problem I had when making them was that the EAD got really messy and I had to keep wiping the tip off so it wouldn't make a mess on the puffs :)

What will you do while making at a show?

its_me_susan said:
What will you do while making at a show?
Do you mean about the cream being messy while filling? When I made them, I just wiped the tip of the EAD with a paper towel after every 3 or 4 puffs. It's really not that messy if you keep up with it. You actually look kind of chef-ish - I've seen them do just that on those TV chef shows. :p

Last edited:
BethCooks4U said:
Do you mean about the cream being messy while filling? When I made them, I just wiped the tip of the EAD with a paper towel after every 3 or 4 puffs. It's really not that messy if you keep up with it. You actually look kind of chef-ish - I've seen them do just that on those TV shef shows. :p

Oh good! lol. Thanks for the clarification. I want to make these - but need to get used to the idea for a while first... Not sure why this one intimidates me a little ~ the demo tapes look easy.

PuffsSusan, that's what I did, too. I just kept having to wipe the tip off with a paper towel. The paper towel starts to get kind of messy, but maybe if you had a wet washcloth or something :confused: The only bad thing is that I really wanted to lick my fingers :p I think overall it is a REALLY easy recipe, though.

These are oooooooh so good, and ooooooooooooh so easy. I have made them quite a few times now. I do the same as someone else has said, about only filling what I think will be eaten right away. I have refrigerated the empty puffs, and then filled them cold, but I think they taste better at room temp.

Just a note though, you can double the recipie without any problems, but when I tried to triple it, the puffs did not puff when I baked them. But maybe I did something wrong on that batch. :confused:

Please try this for those who haven't. It will definetly give your esteem a boost, because they look so difficult, and people will be very impressed, and they are toooooooooooo easy.

Kim

Made these yesterday. Totally awesome and EASY. So impressive.

I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer to mix the real cream with powdered sugar and vanilla (as described in the margin in the SB cookbook). I was in a time crunch and had to do it. I had intended to try the balloon whisk, but really didn't have the time to spare (unless I wanted to be late for my mom's birthday party!)

Filled them with the EAD, quite full in fact, and had left over filling.

I brought them to my sisters in a plastic container. Melted some frosting in her small microcooker, then dipped each puff in the frosting to cover the top. Was easy that way and less messy then drizzling it. Didn't bother with the nuts.

Everyone LOVED them and they tasted SO good.

Maybe I'll try pudding next time. Someone on another board used cheesecake flavor pudding. YUM!

DebbieJ said:
I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer to mix the real cream with powdered sugar and vanilla (as described in the margin in the SB cookbook). I was in a time crunch and had to do it. I had intended to try the balloon whisk, but really didn't have the time to spare (unless I wanted to be late for my mom's birthday party!)YUM!

That would have been my way to make the cream too - before the balloon whisk. I HAVE made the cream with the whisk and by the time I would have pulled the kitchen aid mixer from the counter corner and attached the whisk I was half way done whipping the cream. It still takes time to whip the cream with the mixer and clean up afterwards would have taken more time then doing the cream by hand.

Try it next time when you have a little extra time. You'll find that the clean up time saved will give you time to... make some customer care calls or... ;)

For those of us that don't keep a stock of chocolate frosting in the cupboard...I make them with melted chocoate chips. Easy and good, and almost everyone has a bag of choco chips in the cupboard.

Has anyone tried the French Vanilla Cool Whip witht the recipe? I saw it at the store tonight and was wondering how that would taste! :rolleyes:

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

Oh my!!I made these over the weekend and they were so good. I made them mostly for me and my husband since they are low fat and we are on a diet. Made them with FF Cool Whip. Made some chocolate chip cookies for the kids. Well, kids didn't even care about the cookies and inhaled the puffs! I have a couple of shows coming up and I know there will be come diabetics in attendence. I think I will make these with either the SF pudding or Cool Whip now comes in SF, and use Splenda instead of powdered sugar.

If I were to do this at a show, what would you all reccommend? It would be difficult to allow the time to let them cool.

I think they cool pretty quick, the longest part is baking them. Maybe mix it up to start with, just to show how easy it is, put them in the oven while you are doing your other demo. By the time that is ready to go in the oven your puffs should be about done. Then you can mix up the filling while they are cooling.

I am pretty new at this, but I think I would feel way too stressed trying to get everything done without taking a whole lot of time.

Or, if you had them baked ahead of time, you could always let the guests fill them, that way they can get hands on using the EAD. :p Then have the frosting melted in a simple additions bowl, with a spoon that they can drizzle the chocolate on themselves, and another bowl with the nuts.

I would probably feel comfortable doing it this way.

HTH

Kim

Melody--It really doesn't take too long for them to cool. By the time you've finished poking all the holes in the puffs the first ones are cool. While they're cooking I would spotlight additional products, booking benefits, or a recruiting commercial (there is time for all three). Then poke the holes and whip up the filling. I might let the guests get involved in filling the puffs so they can use the easy accent decorator. Or play a game while filling them (as that part is a little time consuming and repetitive)---the tic-tac-toe is a good option because they need to find and write down their 9 products.

I've been thinking on how to demo this one as well. I haven't done it at a show yet, but I don't like alot of down time during my show. Which usually isn't a problem cause I talk ALOT!

I'm doing these for a St. Patrick's Day Themed Cooking Show, and I'm coloring the filling green. I had originally planned on getting a vanilla frosting and tinting that green as well, but since the green coloring shows through the puffs, I'm going to use the chocolate like the recipe calls for! I personnally use the gel coloring, and they were so pretty! :D

Don't be afraid....:p I am the WORST at reading a recipe, not that it is difficult, maybe because I need my glasses, maybe because I'm stubborn, I"m like that putting stuff together, NEVER look at the directions and do fine....BUT....I have found that the Profiterole Puffs where sooooooooo dang easy, if I can do it? ANYONE CAN....even my attendees at my kick off show, yes I did them for my kick off show, where shocked!!!!

I LOVE the idea of the pudding, I will definatly do that this weekend for my show....maybe use some pistachio pudding as it is a st. pattys party, or just dye it green....but that sound AWESOME....I didn't have chocolate though and I used my sons Hershey Chocolate syrup....LOL...it was great...and then drizzled some of the filling over the top too....

Yes, you do have to wipe the tip, but as was said, it DOES look professional to do that. ;)

They where the HIT of the Show.....I think what I'm going to do is make them for everyshow I do, whether it's demonstrating or just bringing....woo hoo....

BUUUTTTT, can someone PLEASE tell me how to pronounce it? LOL....I have a hard time with my own native tongue of english let alone Italian :eek:

Gosh, NEVER thought I'd hear myself say this...I LOVE TO COOK...

Pro-fit-er-ole

St. Patty's DayWhen Steve or is it Mike?? mentioned using instant pudding, right away I thought of using Pastaschio SP? pudding. I don't like nuts but absoultely love this pudding and it's already Green too *my all time favorite color*.

I have yet to try them, I've been afraid to make them.

PampChefNancy1 said:
I'm doing these for a St. Patrick's Day Themed Cooking Show, and I'm coloring the filling green. I had originally planned on getting a vanilla frosting and tinting that green as well, but since the green coloring shows through the puffs, I'm going to use the chocolate like the recipe calls for! I personnally use the gel coloring, and they were so pretty! :D

Chef Kearns said:
Melody--It really doesn't take too long for them to cool. By the time you've finished poking all the holes in the puffs the first ones are cool. While they're cooking I would spotlight additional products, booking benefits, or a recruiting commercial (there is time for all three). Then poke the holes and whip up the filling. I might let the guests get involved in filling the puffs so they can use the easy accent decorator. Or play a game while filling them (as that part is a little time consuming and repetitive)---the tic-tac-toe is a good option because they need to find and write down their 9 products.

I've been thinking on how to demo this one as well. I haven't done it at a show yet, but I don't like alot of down time during my show. Which usually isn't a problem cause I talk ALOT!

What's the tic-tac-toe game?

Please refresh my memory.... when do you poke holes in.... do you really need to poke one before inserting the cream and filling (can't it be done at the same time?)

Susan--not sure about the tic tac toe game (I have an idea, but not positive) About the puffs...you have to poke them after they come out of the oven to release the steam. So it needs to be done before you put the filling in them.

My bad! I'm the one who posted about the tic tac toe in the first place! :p

The one I do is have the host do their wish list before you arrive then in a lull (when there is alot of repitition or you're setting up for the next step) ask the guests to draw a tic tac toe board and fill in the spaces with their 9 most wanted items. When they are done read off the host's list. I give out prizes for the first line and for black outs. I give a black out 10% off their order with the line, "you know, if you were a past host you would get this all the time for one year".

its_me_susan said:
Please refresh my memory.... when do you poke holes in.... do you really need to poke one before inserting the cream and filling (can't it be done at the same time?)

You poke the holes to let the excess steam out. And you can just use the Quikut (sp?) paring knife to do that. I just poked the knife in, kept it in while transferring the puff to the cooling rack and then used the knife hole to put the filling into. But you need to let that excess steam out asap.

PerfiterolesI was so excited when I saw the recipe for perfiterole puffs in the season's best--when I was in England several years ago, one of our most favorite treats over there were perfiterole puffs, and they serve them as a sundae topping! We had the most delicious sundaes, so if you want another fun idea (and to show off the ice cream dipper), you can make perfiterole sundaes... =) yum!!!

I just wanted to weigh in...

I made them with real whipping cream and another consultant made them with the Cool Whip.

The real whipping cream version tastes MUCH better.

Next I'm going to make them with pudding!

WE used to eat these frozen, the whipped cream had stawberries mashed in... Soo SOOO good!

Emma

PuffsI am making these tomorrow night for a show. I tried them myself and the cool whip seemed to make it runny. I was thinking of using Pistachio pudding with the cool whip. Should I mix the pudding with a cup of milk and then fold in the cool whip? I thought the pistachio pudding would be nice for St. Patty's Day too. What do you think?

Last edited:
Pudding MixI just made these last night. I used vanilla pudding mix and a container of cool whip and about a 1/4 cup sour cream. The filling was a little stiff. I had a hard time squeezing the filling out of the EAD. I plan to add a little more sour cream or a little milk next time.

Sour cream huh, I never thought of that. Do you think Milk would be okay too?

so if you don't have the mini muffin pan, could you do them at home and just take them to the show prebaked to finish them off?
and then maybe prepare something additional?

Hmmm.. I just made these and they are fantastic! I used real whipping cream and added some almond flavoring as I was whipping! Delish!

Emma

Chicken saladI use chicken salad in mine for an appitizer and they are really great.

For those that do not have a tart pan, You can put them in a ring , cut the ring horizontally in 1/2 fill and cut into sections. I have made these using the round stone.

Also I think you could use the prep cups and make larger ones or muffin stone.

Oh...my...I came on line to see what everyone thought about these and since everyone gave them such great reviews I made them today! I did one batch with the french vanilla pudding (used 1 1/4 cups of milk instead of 2) with whipped cream folded in. Then I did a batch with the cheesecake flavored pudding and whipped cream...these were to die for!!!

:p

can somenoe post the recipe????????

The recipe is on the consultant site under theme shows or in the newest seasons best!

love2cook2 said:
I came on line to see what everyone thought about these and since everyone gave them such great reviews I made them today! I did one batch with the french vanilla pudding (used 1 1/4 cups of milk instead of 2) with whipped cream folded in. Then I did a batch with the cheesecake flavored pudding and whipped cream...these were to die for!!!

:p

Oh my gosh!! I wonder how strawberry cool whip with cheesecake pudding would taste?? I am going to try this tonight!!! The pink would be wonderful to make for HWC shows or even for shows right before Easter!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • pcjulie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies