• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Profiterole Dough & Alt. Filling Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of making savory profiteroles by freezing the unfilled puffs ahead of time and filling them just before serving. The suggested fillings include chicken salad, crab, kalamata olives, feta and cream cheese, smoked salmon, smoked oysters, French onion dip, blue cheese, cream cheese with oil dipping seasonings, and Knorr veggie soup mix with sour cream and whipped cream cheese. It is recommended to re-crisp the frozen puffs in the oven for 5-10 minutes before filling.
kam
Staff member
I make the profiteroles and freeze them all the time. But, now I want to try something different.

I want to fill with a savory-type filling. So I have 2 questions:

1. I am going to make the puffs ahead of time and freeze them (with no filling). If anyone has done this, do you notice a loss of quality? Is it necessary to pop them in the oven to "freshen" them before filling?

2. Does anyone have a good savory type filling for them?

I am assuming that the savory filling won't be able to be frozen, so that is why I am asking about freezing just the unfilled puffs.

Also, how far in advance can you fill the puffs before they start getting soggy?

Any suggestions?

i have a recipe for savory ones do a search for litchenaid recipes it was in something with my mixer years ago

You can freeze them unfilled for up to one month in a ziplock bag. You will need to put the frozen puffs in the oven for about 5-10 minutes at 300 degrees to re-crisp. I've used chicken salad in them as a savory option. When I made them with chicken salad, I filled them the same day I was planning to serve them -- usually about 4-6 hours ahead.

my mom has used a crab filling in them and it was good

i think one of mine was kalamata olives, feta & cream cheese

LOTS OF CHOICES...
-Boursin cheese
-1/3 minced Smoked Salmon mixed with dill & 2/3 whipped cream cheese
-1/5 minced Smoked Oysters mixed with 2/5 French Onion dip and 2/5 whipped cream cheese
-1/4 blue cheese mixed with 3/4 whipped cream cheese
-Cream Cheese mixed with any of oil dipping seasonings
-1/5 Knorr veggie soup mix 1/5 sour cream 3/5 whipped cream cheese

barbara_anne said:
You can freeze them unfilled for up to one month in a ziplock bag. You will need to put the frozen puffs in the oven for about 5-10 minutes at 300 degrees to re-crisp. I've used chicken salad in them as a savory option. When I made them with chicken salad, I filled them the same day I was planning to serve them -- usually about 4-6 hours ahead.

I was afraid I would have to stick them back in the oven. Thanks for confirming!

scottcooks said:
LOTS OF CHOICES...
-Boursin cheese
-1/3 minced Smoked Salmon mixed with dill & 2/3 whipped cream cheese
-1/5 minced Smoked Oysters mixed with 2/5 French Onion dip and 2/5 whipped cream cheese
-1/4 blue cheese mixed with 3/4 whipped cream cheese
-Cream Cheese mixed with any of oil dipping seasonings
-1/5 Knorr veggie soup mix 1/5 sour cream 3/5 whipped cream cheese

Excellent ideas. The Knorr mix one appeals to me. Might have to try that one.

What is profiterole dough?

Profiterole dough is a type of choux pastry that is used to make small, hollow pastries called profiteroles. It is made from a mixture of flour, water, butter, and eggs, which creates a light and airy dough that is perfect for filling with sweet or savory fillings.

How do I make profiterole dough?

To make profiterole dough, you will need to combine water, butter, and salt in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Then, add flour and stir until a smooth dough forms. Remove from heat and let the dough cool for a few minutes before adding beaten eggs, one at a time, until the dough is shiny and smooth. Finally, pipe or spoon the dough onto a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and puffed.

Can I use an alternative filling for profiteroles?

Yes, you can use a variety of fillings for profiteroles, both sweet and savory. Some popular alternatives to the traditional pastry cream filling include whipped cream, chocolate ganache, ice cream, and savory fillings like chicken or tuna salad.

How do I store profiterole dough?

Profiterole dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before using. Make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. You can also freeze the dough for up to 3 months before using. Thaw it in the refrigerator before piping and baking.

How do I prevent my profiterole dough from deflating?

To prevent your profiterole dough from deflating, make sure to bake it at a high temperature (around 400 degrees Fahrenheit) and do not open the oven door while they are baking. Once they are done, turn off the oven and leave the profiteroles inside for a few minutes to cool down slowly and prevent them from collapsing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • tripletmommie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Sk8Mom209
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies