• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Improving the Apple Wedger: A Look at the Pineapple Wedger's Design

In summary, the product would be improved by adding a hole in the handle so that it can be hung, adding a ranch dressing recipe, and making the lid easier to use.
RMDave
Gold Member
I love PC products. 99.99% of them are perfect the way they are. But I was thinking "How would I want to see a product improved?"

The first thing that came to mind:

I'd like to see the Apple Wedger's cover be designed like the Pineapple Wedger's. It would help push the Apple out so there was no chance of cutting yourself by prying the apple out or pressing from the bottom. I think the Pineapple Wedger's cover is thoughtfully designed.

OK, now its your turn.

This might be more of a shipping issue, really. But I would really like it if they could put the small micro-cooker in better packaging, or make it a little sturdier. I have found that nearly half of the time, it arrives broken- not the whole item, but one of the little tabs on the lid that makes it lock to the base. I would like to see an improvement made to the microplane adjustable grater. I have an extremely hard time opening it. I have no problem practicing with a product to get comfortable, but this one takes a little too much effort and I don't use it at shows for that reason.Good thread, Dave.

Last edited:
msmileyface said:
This might be more of a shipping issue, really. But I would really like it if they could put the small micro-cooker in better packaging, or make it a little sturdier. I have found that nearly half of the time, it arrives broken- not the whole item, but one of the little tabs on the lid that makes it lock to the base.

I would like to see an improvement made to the microplane adjustable grater. I have an extremely hard time opening it. I have no problem practicing with a product to get comfortable, but this one takes a little too much effort and I don't use it at shows for that reason.

Good thread, Dave.

Do you know about sliding the handle over to make it easier to open? I am thinking you are probably trying to open and close it when its locked and it is diffucult. When I unlock mine it opens and closes with no problem.

I'd like to see the foam cookware protectors come in black or gray, I won't buy them because my pots and pans sit on a display stand and I don't want the cranberry poking out. Right now I just use black dish rags.

The tongs could use some rubberization where your fingers are holding them.

I wish all the utensils had holes in the handle so that I can hang stuff. I only have two drawers in my kitchen, so a lot of stuff is hung on hooks. Mix n Chop is the first thing I immediately think of.

The first time I used the Microplane Adj. Grater, I couldn't figure out how to open it. But once I saw the arrow and figured out that it wasn't a button, but that the whole handle shifts that direction to open it, I haven't had any trouble. I LOVE it's design, actually. It's nice to have the different positions for use.Here's a product I don't own yet mainly because I don't like the design--the Measure, Mix & Pour. It's so messy to use. I love the concept of it, but the lid is terrible. And I wish it had a Ranch dressing recipe, or was at least big enough so that it could be used to mix up a packet of Ranch if you make it that way.

babywings76 said:
The first time I used the Microplane Adj. Grater, I couldn't figure out how to open it. But once I saw the arrow and figured out that it wasn't a button, but that the whole handle shifts that direction to open it, I haven't had any trouble. I LOVE it's design, actually. It's nice to have the different positions for use.

Here's a product I don't own yet mainly because I don't like the design--the Measure, Mix & Pour. It's so messy to use. I love the concept of it, but the lid is terrible. And I wish it had a Ranch dressing recipe, or was at least big enough so that it could be used to mix up a packet of Ranch if you make it that way.
It's all in the way you hold the Grater. My new consultant said the directions in the UC&G were a little confusing. It made more sense to her when I told her to hold the grater part in one had the handle in the other with your thumb over the "button".

The Cheese Knife, it's so hard to use, I don't like it and I won't sell it unless someone insists. Am I doing something wrong?

My husband suggested that the Oil Spritzer should have a 'release valve' of some sort, so that you wouldn't need to unscrew the top to release the pressure after using (to prevent clogging the pump).

donnathepamperedchef said:
The Cheese Knife, it's so hard to use, I don't like it and I won't sell it unless someone insists. Am I doing something wrong?

Uh oh, I just ordered that, hope I can make it work!

I will re-visit my microplane grater. Thanks for the tips!

:) Meredith

donnathepamperedchef said:

Works great as a tomato knife, if you don't have the green one yet :)

cochef said:
Works great as a tomato knife, if you don't have the green one yet :)

I love my cheese knife..use it a lot...never thought to use it for tomatoes, but just tried it....perfect for me, I can never slice evenly
Marghi

I got rid of my measure all cup right away; the one that came with my kit. I could never keep it from sticking together. I even did the oil and everything.

cheflorraine said:
My husband suggested that the Oil Spritzer should have a 'release valve' of some sort, so that you wouldn't need to unscrew the top to release the pressure after using (to prevent clogging the pump).

Somewhere on CS I read this suggestion: after you use it, turn it upside down (so it's just taking in the air in the bottle and spray the extra air out) to release the pressure. This way you don't have to take it apart...or even unscrew it.

Marghi

I wish the 'cup' part of the Herb Keeper fit the other way on the bigger part, as well, and that it could then be covered by the lid. This way you could use it to transport things (chips and dip, for example). Or, even if you cut too many herbs, it would be easier to store the extra.

I'd like the wires on the egg slicer plus to be sturdier and that they did not warp so easily. Or that we could tighten it in an easy manner.

Last edited:
Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I'd like the wires on the egg slicer plus were sturdier and did not warp so easily. Or that we could tighten it in an easy manner.

I'll second that.

I wish the containers for our rubs and seasoning mixes were wider-mouthed so the adjustable measuring spoons fit into them more easily.

leftymac said:
I wish the containers for our rubs and seasoning mixes were wider-mouthed so the adjustable measuring spoons fit into them more easily.

I don't like the new lids they have, it's nearly impossible to shake some of them out of the bottle, I have to take the lid off anyway.

wadesgirl said:
I don't like the new lids they have, it's nearly impossible to shake some of them out of the bottle, I have to take the lid off anyway.

I agree with you!

Miracle! I suddenly "get" how to work that microplane grater right... THANK YOU!

pampchefsarah said:
I wish the 'cup' part of the Herb Keeper fit the other way on the bigger part, as well, and that it could then be covered by the lid. This way you could use it to transport things (chips and dip, for example). Or, even if you cut too many herbs, it would be easier to store the extra.

I completely agree about this. This is beyond frustrating to me that they didn't design it that way.

msmileyface said:
Miracle! I suddenly "get" how to work that microplane grater right... THANK YOU!

Yah! Glad to hear that!

RMDave said:
It would help push the Apple out so there was no chance of cutting yourself by prying the apple out or pressing from the bottom. I think the Pineapple Wedger's cover is thoughtfully designed.
QUOTE]

That is EXACTLY what I did Friday:eek:--first time I used it, and last time I'll press from the bottom. I have 3 stitches in my thumb. :thumbup:

A container that fit on the bottom of the garlic slicer--one of my customers suggested it and then (after slicing about 20 garlic cloves) decided not to buy it until they add something that will catch the slices.

Keith you have hit it on the head! I want a second barrel for the Rotary Grater.

I use the Apple wedger's cover to push the onion and Apple out. For the pieces that don't cooperate, I pull from the top to avoid cutting myself.I'd love a second barrel for the rotary grater!

I just grab the apple from the top (after my first attempt that resulted in a sliced thumb) and pull it through.I do agree with another barrel for the grater. I usually grab the retired grater to use instead of the new one due to the fact that I like the thicker grate better!

I'm hoping they'll redesign the ice bucket or scoop so that there's a place to put the scoop when not in use.

I'd also like them to use a better or different material for our easy read measuring cups, pitchers, ice bucket and cool n serve tray. The acrylic scratches too easily and the measuring marks fade!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I'm hoping they'll redesign the ice bucket or scoop so that there's a place to put the scoop when not in use.

I'd also like them to use a better or different material for our easy read measuring cups, pitchers, ice bucket and cool n serve tray. The acrylic scratches too easily and the measuring marks fade!

I think the measurements on the ERMC are on the inside. I've never had mine fade even after using them for years! But I do think they need to do something different with the Measure All Cup because they do fade on there!

wadesgirl said:
I think the measurements on the ERMC are on the inside. I've never had mine fade even after using them for years! But I do think they need to do something different with the Measure All Cup because they do fade on there!

Maybe mine is just an anomoly. I've had mine since 2/09 and it's all scratched and "cloudy". I can still see the measure marks, but they're starting to get harder to see. :(

Jolie_Paradoxe said:

Second that for the Salad & Berry Spinner - I loved that beautiful bowl, but now it has 2 big ugly scratches on it! :(

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Maybe mine is just an anomoly. I've had mine since 2/09 and it's all scratched and "cloudy". I can still see the measure marks, but they're starting to get harder to see. :(

Mine are scratched but you can still read everything

cheflorraine said:
Second that for the Salad & Berry Spinner - I loved that beautiful bowl, but now it has 2 big ugly scratches on it! :(

Speaking of the S&B spinner...I really wish we could get a lid for it. If you make a salad to take somewhere, I really don't want to bring the heavy top to that thing. And I also don't want to deal with plastic wrap. ;)

I don't know what could be done to improve it, but I go to great length to take extra good care of my bamboo pieces and they look so beat up, they don't even look nice to serve on anymore and one of my bowls, looks like it's about to split at the seams :-(

I second and third the egg slicer and pantry item lid suggestions!We need a lid for the cake stand. Sadly, it will probably be "sold separately" and will fit on other products such as the round platter.And of course, could those color-coated knives and (gasp!) cool and serve PLEASE come in a different color?

babywings76 said:
Speaking of the S&B spinner...I really wish we could get a lid for it. If you make a salad to take somewhere, I really don't want to bring the heavy top to that thing. And I also don't want to deal with plastic wrap. ;)

I KNEW there was something else I was thinking about the other day, and that was it exactly! I don't know why it didn't come with a lid in the first place!

you know, I have an oxo salad spinner that is designed very similarly to the S&B spinner, it came with a separate lid for storage. It is so nice to spin the salad, take out the strainer, wipe it out with papertowels and put the salad and all the ingredients back in there and serve right from that. Cuts down on dishes!!

I wish the Dots Bowl Trio came in a plain white version. I'm not crazy about the dots and have the plain white SA items throughout my kitchen.

Aun said:
I wish the Dots Bowl Trio came in a plain white version. I'm not crazy about the dots and have the plain white SA items throughout my kitchen.

I love the dots bowl trio, but I sometimes wish it was slightly bigger. When I put different toppings in each cup, it just seems awkward serving from it because they are kind of small. It's hard to use a spoon or small fork to scoop up the toppings from one little cup and bring it to your dish. Things spill onto the table or into the other cups. I need tiny spoons or something to dish out of each cup.

Okay after reading the various post's about the apple wedger's cover, I had to go on line and see what you were all talking about. I never knew it came with one. Mine is so old it has the hen logo on it.

pamperedpals said:
Okay after reading the various post's about the apple wedger's cover, I had to go on line and see what you were all talking about. I never knew it came with one. Mine is so old it has the hen logo on it.

If it's the same diameter- you can buy the cover on the replacement parts. I did- mine is old too, and it fit just fine (I don't know if mine has the hen logo- but it's old enough it might!)

I'd like to see a spice rack to keep the rubs and spices all together and be able to display them nicely. It would also help carry them more neatly.

Also, an adjustable rack for displaying stoneware and/or Simple Additions plates, etc. The ones that had the pegs were not too bad until they started adding the mini loaf pans, and other similar bulky stones.

TrudysOwn said:
I'd like to see a spice rack to keep the rubs and spices all together and be able to display them nicely. It would also help carry them more neatly.

Also, an adjustable rack for displaying stoneware and/or Simple Additions plates, etc. The ones that had the pegs were not too bad until they started adding the mini loaf pans, and other similar bulky stones.

I have a black spice turnabout thing that a friend gave me, it came with all these glass spice bottles, but I tried our spices in it, and they snap in place perfectly. I would take a picture of it, but I am at work. I need to order the Pantry items I don't have, and it will fill up perfectly.

Yes, good thread, Dave. I'm a week behind, but this bugs me each time I use them, and I've been wanting to see if anyone else felt this way ..

I love the beauty, sturdiness, etc of the Chef's Tools (the ones designed to complement Executive cookware), but thye're top-heavy - unless I'm using a big/tall pot, they always seem to flop over onto my stovetop. Annoying.

I have the ladle and the slotted spoon.

Another one along the lines of Dave's first post ..

I was so disappointed when I got my Apple Wedger. I already had a Wilton brand wedger that I'd gotten from an outlet store for $5 (TPC @ $12!)
Pic shows the difference - Wilton wedger weighs 11.5 ounces -- vs. TPC weighs in at 3.75 ounces *with* the cover. Wilton is 8 slices, ours 10 slices.
Wilton has high handles you can push down on with confidence.
This seems to be a no-brainer as far as product improvements go...

Attachments

• AppleWedgerVsWilton.jpg
    AppleWedgerVsWilton.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 479
ChefetteDuJour said:
Another one along the lines of Dave's first post ..I was so disappointed when I got my Apple Wedger. I already had a Wilton brand wedger that I'd gotten from an outlet store for $5 (TPC @ $12!)
Pic shows the difference - Wilton wedger weighs 11.5 ounces -- vs. TPC weighs in at 3.75 ounces *with* the cover. Wilton is 8 slices, ours 10 slices.
Wilton has high handles you can push down on with confidence.
This seems to be a no-brainer as far as product improvements go...
My goodness! That thing is HUGE! That wouldn't even fit in my drawer! ;) I like that ours cuts it in 10 slices. But, it would be nice to have slightly larger handles. I like the pineapple wedger's design, so maybe something like that, and also w/ a similar lid.

I don't think that anyone has mentioned this yet, but how about making the stackable cooling racks oven safe. I see the chefs on TV put their cooling racks on a sheet pan all the time for bacon and other stuff in the oven. It would be nice to be able to do that with ours. Other than that, I love the cooling racks!!

shelly.nurse said:
I don't think that anyone has mentioned this yet, but how about making the stackable cooling racks oven safe. I see the chefs on TV put their cooling racks on a sheet pan all the time for bacon and other stuff in the oven. It would be nice to be able to do that with ours. Other than that, I love the cooling racks!!

You know what might be nice is a small rack that can fit inside a 9x13 pan. That way you can raise a roast or ham.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • cochef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
cochef
  • robbiesmom123