• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Win Prizes Instantly for Booking a Show!

DCB.In summary, some consultants use prizes as incentives for hosts to book shows on the spot, but others believe it is more effective to only give out a prize after the show has been held. One consultant, Dustin Davis, has found success by using an envelope game where the host picks an envelope with a prize inside after booking a show on the spot. The envelopes contain coupons for small products or a discount on a larger item, and the show must have a minimum sales amount to qualify. This method has resulted in consistently high sales for Davis and has only required him to give out one larger prize.
TheFreddiesCook
What kind of prizes do you give out for booking a show on the spot at a show?

a host packet... :)

but seriously... if they are just booking for a "prize" and you give it to them before their show chances are the show may not hold.

If you are looking for booking games then the prizes (products are always under $10) and a whole other topic...

Nothing!
The only time I did was when I was wanting more shows for Novembers SAT. For the fall I had a "party pumpkin" that had small pumpkin tags with an inexpensive product on them that the host would receive when they held their own show. So when they booked, they got to pick a prize from the pumpkin and I'd make note of what they picked to add to their host order when they had their show.

TheFreddiesCook said:
What kind of prizes do you give out for booking a show on the spot at a show?

Nothing!

I don't ever give a "prize" until the time that I walk into the house for the party. I call these incentives bait and they don't get their bait until they follow through (completely) with my expectations.

I was thinking the same thing...a host packet. When I first started I gave away a $30 stone for booking on a certain date that I wanted filled. She took the stone home and never I heard from her...or the host when I made "what happened calls."

Now, it's a gift only if I really need the date filled. Our company gives so much to hosts that I don't feel like I should supplement it out of my pocket. I'm not making 50% like some DS companies.

Dustin Davis (in the May CN this month, first page) came to our meeting last night and talked about how he gets $1000 shows consistently. He does a thing with envelopes for hosts who are willing to book on the spot at the show:

He has 10 envelopes, numbered 1-10. Each envelope contains a coupon for a prize. Nine of the coupons are for a rub and a RUFTH trivet (you can of course do whatever you want), and one has a DCB. When a host books, he has the host pick an envelope, and she signs the back of the envelope over the seal. Dustin then takes the envelope home, and brings it with him to the show, and it is opened at the show (this ensures the show is held before the prize is given). The other stipulation is that the show has to be at least $500. The prize is then added to the host's order so he gets her discount, and he gets commission back.

He said he's been doing this since February, and he's had an average of $10,000 in sales each month, and he's only given out one DCB. After each show, he replaces the envelopes taken at that show and the next show again has 10 envelopes.

Actually, he did say that he even does this with hosts that do not want to set a date right away (he's not setting dates past July at the moment). Since he takes the envelope home, it also gives him the opportunity to call the potential host later and say "I just came across your envelope, do you want to set a date so that we can get it opened?"

Wow... I like this idea.... I have a show tonight I wish I could do something like this for... but maybe for my next show..

I think I may do the envelope thing too.

Thank you so much for sharing this. What a wonderful idea. I will certainly give this a try and see what happens.

NooraK said:
Dustin Davis (in the May CN this month, first page) came to our meeting last night and talked about how he gets $1000 shows consistently. He does a thing with envelopes for hosts who are willing to book on the spot at the show:

He has 10 envelopes, numbered 1-10. Each envelope contains a coupon for a prize. Nine of the coupons are for a rub and a RUFTH trivet (you can of course do whatever you want), and one has a DCB. When a host books, he has the host pick an envelope, and she signs the back of the envelope over the seal. Dustin then takes the envelope home, and brings it with him to the show, and it is opened at the show (this ensures the show is held before the prize is given). The other stipulation is that the show has to be at least $500. The prize is then added to the host's order so he gets her discount, and he gets commission back.

He said he's been doing this since February, and he's had an average of $10,000 in sales each month, and he's only given out one DCB. After each show, he replaces the envelopes taken at that show and the next show again has 10 envelopes.

Actually, he did say that he even does this with hosts that do not want to set a date right away (he's not setting dates past July at the moment). Since he takes the envelope home, it also gives him the opportunity to call the potential host later and say "I just came across your envelope, do you want to set a date so that we can get it opened?"

Amazing idea!!! I like it! I shall try it.

great idea. I have shows this Tuesday and Wednesday, going to try it at both.

I like this idea too. Does he tell them there is a DCB in one of the envelopes?

mspibb said:
I like this idea too. Does he tell them there is a DCB in one of the envelopes?

Yes, the hosts know what the possibilities are. They know the two different types of prizes are, and they know there's only one DCB. He knows which envelope it is (so he knows which ones to replace), but they obviously don't.

I give them the opportunity to get an unlimited amount free products and deep discounts, free shipping, 10% off for a year and the rest of the host benefits. Pampered Chef is so generous there is no need to spend money if you promote the program.

Tonight I did a show and I handed the host a flyer that had six slots, and told her that If she filled 3 then she can choose one cookbook out of the catalog at the close of the 3rd show... She booked 5.. With 1 more possible, So I am going to throw in something else small to sweeten the pot. But I am absoulutly going to try the envelopes.. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

BethCooks4U said:
I give them the opportunity to get an unlimited amount free products and deep discounts, free shipping, 10% off for a year and the rest of the host benefits. Pampered Chef is so generous there is no need to spend money if you promote the program.

Yeah me too. After thinking about it I have decided to not do anything more. Plus, I recruit really well and I don't want an activity like that to be a deterrent to future consultants thinking it's protocol to spend $$ out of pocket to give extras to hosts. We do have an AMAZING host benefits program :love:

Liquid Sky said:
Yeah me too. After thinking about it I have decided to not do anything more. Plus, I recruit really well and I don't want an activity like that to be a deterrent to future consultants thinking it's protocol to spend $$ out of pocket to give extras to hosts. We do have an AMAZING host benefits program :love:

This was my thinking, exactly. I really don't want to have to spend EXTRA money for almost every single show I book, since almost all of my shows are booked at a show.

NooraK said:

Used the envelopes tonight at my show, two bookings for June, first time I have had confirmed dates at a show and even better two requests about the business. I feel great, thank you Noora for posting this information :thumbup::D

That's great Donna!

I have a show Saturday and I made my envelopes up today and will definately try them out :) I missed out on the fall SAT (messed up show dates....urgh), so I didn't earn any of the new free stuff...........but darn it I am trying to pack my June so I can get them this time LOL

I am "iffy" on this - whether to regularly do this type of prize.

On one hand I really like the idea of getting more bookings, but I don't know if I want it to be the norm.

Our grand opening is this Sunday and we have decided to do 1 booking raffle. Each person that books a show before or during the grand opening gets entered into a drawing for a bar pan (or something) - 1 person wins and gets it when their show closes.... but this is an incentive so we can get our first 90 days as full as possible.

I think we will re-asses after the grand opening and decide if we want to continue that.

algdoughty said:

On one hand I really like the idea of getting more bookings, but I don't know if I want it to be the norm.

Our grand opening is this Sunday and we have decided to do 1 booking raffle. Each person that books a show before or during the grand opening gets entered into a drawing for a bar pan (or something) - 1 person wins and gets it when their show closes.... but this is an incentive so we can get our first 90 days as full as possible.

I think we will re-asses after the grand opening and decide if we want to continue that.

You don't have to make it the norm. Through the years I've offered different things at different times but haven't ever did one all the time.

Hi - I'm new... just becoming a PC consultant. This site is awesome and I am already learning so much. Thank you all.

In regards to this: "Nine of the coupons are for a rub and a RUFTH trivet (you can of course do whatever you want), and one has a DCB."

What is an "RUFTH" trivet and what is a "DCB"?

Boy do I like the idea of $10K in sales a month. Very motivating indeed!

Julie, in Illinois

Not that I'm any type of expert at this yet, but I think the envelopes can be used not as a norm, but to get some action going when you first start and if you find yourself in a bit of a slump. When I was running through the Close at my show last night, I just said I am trying something for the first time and that June is a special month for me as a new pc consultant, interest was piqued and results were what I was hoping for. There were only 8 guests, 50% results, two bookings and two business interests. I have a booth today and I am going to take the envelopes with me there, not sure if it's the right venue but I want to fill June up, I want all the new stuff for free and I am working real hard at getting it done!

JulieAnn123 said:
Hi - I'm new... just becoming a PC consultant. This site is awesome and I am already learning so much. Thank you all.

In regards to this: "Nine of the coupons are for a rub and a RUFTH trivet (you can of course do whatever you want), and one has a DCB."

Julie, in Illinois

Round-Up From the Heart trivet and Deep Covered Baker :D

I am the Food Bank Coordinator for PC in our area, so I really like the idea of the RUFTH being one of the prizes.

I'm glad you guys are finding use out of the idea, that's why I posted it. :D

JulieAnn - RUFTH is Round Up From The Heart, PC's charitable program that benefits Feeding America. You can find more information on CC (Consultant's Coner) if you need it. DCB is the Deep Covered Baker. We like our abbreviations here on CS (Chef Success).

I personally do not do this, and do not plan on doing it. I am on the boat that our Host Benefits are fabulous as is, and do not necessitate any further incentives. I am very much concentrating this year on actually making money, and have eliminated any expenses that are not absolutely necessary for me to make, which includes any kinds of extra bonuses for hosting or buying.

The beauty of this business is that we can all run it the way that suits us the best. If Dustin wants to do it at every show, Donna wants to do it to boost herself out of a slump, and I choose not to do it at all, none of us are in the wrong.

I love seeing that it's working for you guys though!

Thanks!

I have a small business and the poster who said "keep my expenses down" is right on track. I have been sewing for others for 31 years and I keep my out of pocket expenses to the bare minimum. I offer an excellent service and good turn around time and that is what they come back for and give me word-of-mouth advertising for.

I am going to go at this PC thing the same way. I am doing this to give myself something to do 2-3 nights a week since my daughter is going off to college in the fall and I will have some extra expenses for college. (I will really miss her!) But I plan on doing really good and fun shows where people will want me to come and do one for them. If I need to do some prizes to get it going I will but I am not planning on spending a ton of money to make money - I plan on being creative and so on, which doesn't cost a penny.

Do you think this is the right approach?

Thanks again for your advice and info...
Julie

JulieAnn123 said:
Thanks!

I have a small business and the poster who said "keep my expenses down" is right on track. I have been sewing for others for 31 years and I keep my out of pocket expenses to the bare minimum. I offer an excellent service and good turn around time and that is what they come back for and give me word-of-mouth advertising for.

I am going to go at this PC thing the same way. I am doing this to give myself something to do 2-3 nights a week since my daughter is going off to college in the fall and I will have some extra expenses for college. (I will really miss her!) But I plan on doing really good and fun shows where people will want me to come and do one for them. If I need to do some prizes to get it going I will but I am not planning on spending a ton of money to make money - I plan on being creative and so on, which doesn't cost a penny.

Julie

Julie -- you are ABSOLUTELY taking the right approach! I used to offer lots of different freebies, incentives, etc...and they never gave me the results I hoped for. When I started concentrating on The Show, and making sure that it was a fun experience with value for everyone there - that was when my bookings, recruiting, and sales went way up!

Hate to have to be questioning whether what I am doing with my business is right or wrong! I don't have a huge circle of friends; I don't work outside the house so I don't have a huge circle of work acquaintances; I need to know more people and if incurring a small expense to build my network is what it's going to take then I am willing to absorb for a limited time and adjust as time goes on.

I do many incentives and "prizes".... my director tells me all the time you have to spend $ to make $. All of the prizes I give away are under $10 and either cost me nothing or got at a discount. Everytime I do a boutique or open house I use the free products to get more items to give as prizes. Like my last one I did I stocked up on mini serving spatulas and veggie peelers. People loves those and they are not too expensive and even if they have one already it makes a great gift. I would not do a free DCB, but a free $4 rub or $4 mini spatula is worth the business and sales you will get from that booking and the bookings from that one. Everyone has their own way. It works for me and keeps my calendar booked. I think I may try the envelopes. Its a fun surprise for the host. I have been doing a theme thing for each month. I think I read the idea on here some where. for may I found some little pink ribbon balloons. I tape a paper with my next 3 open dates on them and on the back I put a free gift. I tell them anyone interested in booking a show. grab a balloon then they bring it to me at checkout and we book them on that date. I talk about it through out my show. April I had plastic easter eggs with dates on them. I think the envelope idea would be more open for dates though. I am working on more booking in close.

I like your balloon idea! That is more of what I was thinking as far as being "creative" vs. giving away a bakeware piece.

You are all so nice and helpful. Thanks for the tips!
Julie

Hmmmmm. I only do extra incentives when my calendar isn't where I want it which is where June is for me. I totally agree about the benefits being super generous and I'm always all about my host and guests and fun but I want my June to be great too... SO.. I think I will call the envelopes my Disney Trip Celebration Incentive and say that I need to really load up my available dates in June since I'll be vacationing for free with PC at Disney!!!! That way I've got a fun way to talk about the trip and still make it about thanking my hosts for being all that they are in my life!!!!! Thanks for posting

algdoughty said:

I did this at my grand opening too. I gave them one entry for a booking and a second entry for a booking in my first 30 days. It worked out great.
I also had easter eggs before easter ($5-$6 item) that they got added on to their show.
I like the envelope thing. I have two shows tomorrow and am going to try it. I didn't do the DCB, but did some stoneware and a couple of other small items in addition to some seasonings. We'll see how it works. I am coming up on my 90 days (first week in June), and am contemplating letting people pick 2 envelopes if they are willing to host a show close in and have it close before that date.
It seems like a lot, but I am willing to give away products to get shows booked. I really want to go to conference, but need to make $$$$$ before I can register and get plane tickets.

JulieAnn123 said:

Julie, in Illinois

DCB is the Deep Covered Baker- $69 piece of stoneware
RUFTH Trivet- is a trivet where proceeds go to Round Up for the Heart.

quiverfull7 said:
Hmmmmm. I only do extra incentives when my calendar isn't where I want it which is where June is for me. I totally agree about the benefits being super generous and I'm always all about my host and guests and fun but I want my June to be great too... SO.. I think I will call the envelopes my Disney Trip Celebration Incentive and say that I need to really load up my available dates in June since I'll be vacationing for free with PC at Disney!!!! That way I've got a fun way to talk about the trip and still make it about thanking my hosts for being all that they are in my life!!!!! Thanks for posting

Tell me more about how you are getting to go to Disney! :)

quiverfull7 said:

Hey! I LOVE that idea! I"m stealing it! I already have 2 shows on the books before the trip, would like to get one more, but that might be pushing it. I want to load up after we get back though because that will be conference money! :)

JulieAnn123 said:
Tell me more about how you are getting to go to Disney! :)

It was our incentive trip for 2009! :)

did dustin say which envelope he puts the dcb in? i want to do this & was looking online for some insight. it appears that when asked to pick a number from 1-10, 9 is the least picked....

chefsteph07 said:
It was our incentive trip for 2009! :)

What did you have to do to get that?

JulieAnn123 said:
What did you have to do to get that?

Basically the same things we have to do for this year's trips - Earn "points" by our sales, and a minimum number of recruits (You could get more recruits for more points).

If you go onto CC-> Recognition/Incentives -> Irresistible Destinations 2010 , you can get the details for THIS year's trips we are working towards (Toronto or Maui). And just for fun, you can select the "Celebrate the Magic 2009" and see what the Disney trip was. It's a special trip for the 30th anniversary of PC.

hmmmmm turning 50 in '11..... Maui might be a nice birthday trip! tee hee!

JulieAnn123 said:
Thanks!

Julie

Julie,

You are right on track. You really do not have to spend money to make money....especially in the beginning when you are trying to generate income. Pampered Chef makes it easy and attractive for others to host a show. You can sporadically offer incentives, if you choose, when there is a particular goal you have.

I started my biz in Feb 09. I have never had a shortage on bookings...hit 15K in Aug 09 and promoted to Director in Sept 09. All of this without once offering anything extra.

Promote your biz, promote the generous host rewards, have fun and be enthusiastic. That's all you need.

I have been thinking about trying new things, and now that I can better afford it, may later offer incentives. As Noora points out, we get to decide what works for our biz. We can always assess and readjust when needed.

There is definitely no wrong approach. There are so many excellent ideas here, and everyone is generous with their knowledge and experience.

Congrats on making the decision to start your biz! Wishing you much success!

I like the envelope idea. Its certainly worth trying. I may do it on a smaller scale.

I should point out that the envelope idea is a good one, and thank Noora for sharing.

Don't want to appear like I was dismissing or bashing it. :D

I don't know that I'll use it for bookings at a show, but I'm contemplating trying it for a booth this weekend to get my bookings to STICK! I have a huge problem with hosts canceling on me (about 50% of the shows I book). I'd do really well and book 4-6 shows at an event, and then only hold 2. I NEED bookings in a bad way, so I'm thinking of trying the envelopes as my Event Special.So far, I'm looking at the gifts being (1) Rub/Trivet ($17), (2) Rub/Mix-n-Chop ($14), (3) Mini-Spatula/Tool Turn-About ($22.50). I do NOT want to put out something as much as a DCB....I can't afford it in this area that I'll be working. Shows in this area just don't get very high. Not sure about the gift items, but they are popular items...so why not? Of course, no one will know what they are until their show. :) But the specials/benefits alone are WORTH a show! So I don't have to give away the farm....I just want them to not cancel! :) We'll see how it goes.

Hey, the PartyLite lady I know offers a dozen tea lights or votives as an incentive (around the $10 range) and she does very well! So, its what you are comfortable offering! There are many consultants who don't offer anything and do well!

AJPratt said:
Hey, the PartyLite lady I know offers a dozen tea lights or votives as an incentive (around the $10 range) and she does very well! So, its what you are comfortable offering! There are many consultants who don't offer anything and do well!

See, I don't think you can compare that with PC, though, because their host benefits aren't nearly as generous as ours. They probably do need to add extra incentives to get bookings!

ChefBeckyD said:
See, I don't think you can compare that with PC, though, because their host benefits aren't nearly as generous as ours. They probably do need to add extra incentives to get bookings!

Oh, totally! They can't compare at all! But I guess my main point was about affordability. The PL consultant I know does $15-20K a month and just uses a $10 item as incentive. I would assume she would do more, but its kind of smart. Does that make any sense?

AJPratt said:
Oh, totally! They can't compare at all! But I guess my main point was about affordability. The PL consultant I know does $15-20K a month and just uses a $10 item as incentive. I would assume she would do more, but its kind of smart. Does that make any sense?

Oh, okay...I see what you're saying now! :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• 1234blessed
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • MrsNetNut404
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies