• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Prep Bowls: Get Organized with Mise en Place!

In summary, "mise en place" is a French cooking term that means to prepare all ingredients and equipment ahead of time before starting a recipe. This is especially useful for short cooking times and can be applied to various recipes and cooking techniques. The use of prep bowls can also serve as a versatile kitchen tool for tasks such as serving single portion meals, making cakes, and creating themed cakes for special occasions. The recipe for a Rubber Ducky Cake using prep bowls can be found on the website birthdayexpress.com, along with other creative ideas such as a caterpillar cake and Blue's paw print.
MSmith
* In my newspaper today, there was an article on "mise en place" which is a French cooking term that means "everything in its place". quoting: 'Its practical application means to read through a recipe you are going to use, then measure and prepare all ingredients and equipment for the recipe ahead of time...and set them before you in order of their use. This is especially useful when stir-frying or sauteing b/c the cooking time is very short' - book: Brilliant Food Tips & Cooking Tricks by David Joachim. Anyway, I totally thought of the prep bowls and how this would be a great educational tip to pass on at a show (also, especially b/c I set up my show with this concept in mind).

* I have used them as a votive candle holder centerpieces at a PC Bingo game.

* I love to use it for single serving baby cereal when we are out & about b/c of the lid and its compact size (just add water).

* I also use them for single serving baby food that I make...and feed out of.

* I made a Rubber Ducky cake from a recipe I found online w/ the batter bowl and the prep bowls (for the head, tail & wings).

Rubber Ducky CakeI'm hosting a baby shower in June and would love the recipe for the Rubber Ducky cake, if you don't mind passing it along. It sounds really cute. :p

Thanks,
Dawn - Indiana

Yes please post it!Please post that rubber ducky recipe - you will get a ton of requests if you don't!! :eek:

You can also make a "caterpillar cake" with the prep bowls, or small cakes made in the prep bowls as "piles of dirt" on top of a sheet cake. Decorate with a matchbox size dumptruck, etc. for cute birthday themes.

Blue paw printI know I read about making blue's paw print and would love to know how it is done but I can not seem to find any directions. does anyone know?

Blue's Paw printI would luv to have Blue's paw print too! My sister will by hosting a kid's kitchen show and that would be perfect!

Please email to me at [email protected]

THANKS!! :D

I copied the ducky recipe from that website and decided to post it for you all:

Prep Time: 1 Hour (Ready in 2 hours, 40 minutes)

Makes 12 Servings

CAKE:

1 (18.25-oz.) pkg. Pillsbury® Moist Supreme® Yellow Cake Mix

1 1/4 cups water

1/3 cup oil

2 eggs

FROSTING:

1 (16-oz.) can Pillsbury® Creamy Supreme® Vanilla Frosting

Yellow gel or paste food color

Red gel or paste food color

Blue gel or paste food color

DECORATIONS:

Toothpicks

1 (6-inch) bamboo skewer

2 blue candy-coated chocolate pieces

Black decorating icing

2 wedge-shaped grapefruit jelly candies or large yellow gumdrops

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 1 1/2 quart ovenproof bowl, two 10 oz. custard cups and one 6 oz. custard cup. In large bowl, combine all cake ingredients; beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Pour 1/2 cup batter into each greased and floured 10 oz. custard cup and 1/3 cup batter into 6 oz. cup; pour remaining batter into greased and floured bowl. Place bowl in oven first, then custard cups.

Bake at 350°F. Bake cakes in custard cups for 20 to 25 minutes; bake cake in bowl for 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in cups and bowl for 15 minutes. Remove cakes from cups and bowl; place on wire rack. Cool 30 minutes or until completely cooled.

Reserve 1/2 cup white frosting for water; reserve about 1 teaspoon white frosting for eyes. Place remaining frosting in medium bowl. Add yellow food color; blend well. Reserve 3 tablespoons yellow frosting for beak.

Trim tops of all cup cakes so that top is flat. Cut about 1 inch off flat side of bowl cake; reserve for later use. Place bowl cake, flat side down, on platter or foil covered cardboard for body of duck. Cut 6oz. cup cake in half crosswise to form 2 wing pieces. With toothpicks, attach wing pieces to side of rounded cake.

Spread small amount of yellow frosting on flat side of one 10oz. cup cake; place second cup cake, flat side against frosting, to form head. With bamboo skewer, attach "head" to "body." From reserved 1 inch thick piece, cut two 1 inch triangles for tail piece. Place small amount of yellow frosting on 1 triangle. Place triangles together; attach to "body."

Frost cake with yellow frosting. Spread 1/2 teaspoon white frosting on each side of head for eye; place blue candy in center. Outline "eye" with black decorating icing.

Add red food color to reserved 3 tablespoons yellow frosting; blend well to make orange frosting. To make beak, use wedge shaped jelly candies. Or, flatten large gumdrops and cut into two 1 1/2 inch triangles; insert toothpick into short side of each triangle. Frost candies or triangles with orange frosting. Position on cake for beak.

Add blue food color to reserved 1/2 cup white frosting; blend well. Frost platter around "duck" with blue frosting to resemble water.

HIGH ALTITUDE (ABOVE 3500 FEET): Add 1/4 cup flour to dry cake mix; increase water to 1 1/3 cups. Bake as directed above.

sorry, I didn't realize how big that reply was :p

blue clues cakeIs the blues clues cake you are talking about the one that is shaped like a paw? With that cake I think its made by making a normal round cake and ice it blue. (maybe in our round stone) Then I guess you can make the rest of the paw (his toes) with the prep bowls. I've seen the toes made with cupcakes but you could probably substitute the prep bowls instead of using cupcakes. You just ice the 4 toes and put them at the top of the round part of the paw. I hope I'm not confusing anyone. I can see the picture of it in my head but don't have one to attach to this reply.

a picture is worth a thousand words...thanks for posting that recipe for the rubber ducky cake! I would also encourage those interested in the cake to check out the website, too b/c the picture of the cake helped me when making it.

picture of duckyI thought of that too after I had posted the recipe. So I hope this picture comes out- never tried attaching a picture on this website before. :)

Attachments

• rubberduckycake.jpg
    rubberduckycake.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 940
Soooo Cute~

It could be made with a round pan, but I believe it said it was made in a batter bowl. Maybe that way they would all stick up some? I am not sure. My little boy will turn one in 2 wks.

picture of blues clues cakeI found a picture of a blues clues cake that is similar to what I was talking about:

Attachments

• bluecake.jpg
    bluecake.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 885

What are prep bowls used for?

Prep bowls are small, usually ceramic or glass bowls used to hold pre-measured ingredients during the cooking or baking process. They are also commonly used for organizing and holding ingredients during meal prep.

How many prep bowls come in a set?

The number of prep bowls in a set can vary, but most commonly they come in sets of 4, 6, or 8. Pampered Chef offers a set of 8 prep bowls in various sizes to accommodate different needs.

Are prep bowls dishwasher and microwave safe?

Yes, all of Pampered Chef's prep bowls are both dishwasher and microwave safe. This makes them convenient and easy to use for meal prep and cooking.

What sizes do prep bowls come in?

Prep bowls come in a variety of sizes, ranging from 1/4 cup to 1 cup. This allows for versatility in measuring and organizing ingredients for different recipes.

Do prep bowls have any other uses?

Aside from their main purpose of organizing and holding ingredients, prep bowls can also be used for serving condiments, dips, or small snacks. They can also be used for storing small amounts of leftovers or for portion control when trying to eat healthier.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
abaker1
  • Chef Kearns
  • Products and Tips
2 3
Replies
Views
chef_kimmo
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips