• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Make a 1 Egg Omelet in a Prep Bowl - Tips for the Busy Parent!

I'll take them off your hands!!!In summary, the conversation discusses a tip for making a one egg omelet in a prep bowl using a microwave. Other uses for prep bowls are also mentioned, such as making individual servings of Jello or pudding, snipping fresh herbs with kitchen shears, and using them for portion control for diets. They can also be used for melting butter, storing leftovers, and preparing food in advance for parties or shows. The conversation ends with someone regretting giving away their prep bowls and others expressing interest in using them.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
I learned this tip last week at a meeting. I was floored!! Did you know you can make a 1 egg omelet in a prep bowl? Yup!!

Ingredients:
1 egg
smidge of cheese
smiidge of meat (or other omelet filling)

You don't want to fill it too much because it will overflow. You may want to spritz the inside for a clean release. Beat the egg then add the cheese and filling. Mix 'til all filling is covered with egg. Pop in microwave for 1 minute. Flip out and ENJOY!!

I taught my boys (ages 7 and 8) how to make this the next morning and they LOVE it!! They love being able to make their own hot breakfast!! On Saturdays and/or Sundays (my husband and I get 1 sleep in day on the weekend) the kids can make this and do one for their sister (age 2). To make it extra filling for them they toast some bread.

I cannot wait to share this additional tip at my upcoming shows!! Try it out guys!! Do you all have any other Prep Bowl tips? I share making a cake in them (catapillar and doll), using them to dye eggs at Easter time, and the traditional usage of prepping food at my parties.

That's great! Thanks for posting the recipe! I think I will try it this weekend!

I also make individual servings of jello or pudding for the kids. I can cover and leave them in the fridge for a cool treat!

That is amazing and I would have never thought of it. My grandmother use to have the old egg poucher that you would do on the stove top with water and then she had one you just put in the microwave. I remember when we were younger it was always a treat to go to Granny's and micro our eggs. I'll have to let her know about this little trick. Thanks so much for posting, took me down memory lane. :rolleyes:

The one egg omelet trick was listed in either the Weekly Bites or Consultant Newsletter when the prep bowls first hit the product line last year. I thought it was a cool concept, but I don't eat eggs so have not tried it.

I have a micro-egg poacher, too.
The directions on it are (roughly, as I haven't used it in a while)

Grease inside of poacher.
Add 1 tsp water.
Crack 1 egg into poacher.
Pierce yolk and white with a toothpick.
Microwave 1-2 minutes (depending on how runny you like your eggs)

I don't have a prep bowl, so if anyone tries this out, let us know if it works for poaching as well.

That's awesome!

The Prep Bowls are also great for snipping fresh herbs with the Kitchen Shears.

Snap off a couple springs, put them in the prep bowl, and then point your shears into the bowl and snip snip snip!

I did this yesterday when testing out two of the new Cucina Italiana recipes and it worked perfectly! No more parsley all over the cutting board!

Brownie SundaesA guest at one of my shows gave me this idea, although I haven't tried it yet. I think she got the idea at another type of show that sold dishes like the prep bowls. Anyway, she said to put about 1/3 cup or so brownie batter in the prep bowl and microwave 1 minute. Top it with ice cream and choco. syrup for a brownie sundae!

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

My father in law is diabetic and we have to watch his diet pretty close, so I always make reference to that because it is easy to measure 1 cup of fruit, etc. Then he can't argue with me about the portion size, cuz it's right there!!!! I guess you could use it for diets too?

These are probably one of my top 5 products, I absolutely love them! Have 2 sets. Oh, I also use them to melt butter for my crab legs! perfect size. and leftovers, and you could go on and on!!!!!! :)

ange

I am kicking myself after hearing all of these great ideas. I had a set from my SS 3 month and thought "I'll never use these". I gave them to my sister because she likes to pre portion her food. UGH!

Prep Bowls
PamperedPrincess74 said:
I am kicking myself after hearing all of these great ideas. I had a set from my SS 3 month and thought "I'll never use these". I gave them to my sister because she likes to pre portion her food. UGH!
:eek: OOOOOH, I can't believe that! I use them lots for my shows because I can prepare the time consuming stuff in advance. If a recipe calls for a large quantity of cheese, or both Parmesan and Mozzarella, I always have some of it pre-grated in the container and discuss how they've already seen me use the grater and figure they only want to watch me grate so much cheese. It gives me a chance to talk about the prep bowls and their baking ability.
I always mention how we have the Daddy bowl (Classic discussed earlier in demo), the Momma bowl (Small BB) and how they got together and had sextuplets, then introduce the prep bowls and how they have the same great features as their parents.

I know, I KNEW I should've given her my cookie press instead!

Rita - I love the way you describe the bowls! That is absolutely adorable...never thought of it that way. Thanks for a great idea!

Love the Daddy "Bear" (Bowl), Mama "Bear" and Baby "Bear" comparisons. Has anyone thought of using bowls to actually make a bear (as in cake). If so how would you go about it? The small bowls are good for custards and things like that. However, my husband, a chef, loves them for getting all his ingredients measured. And, they're a perfect size for snacks for the grandkids.

I love all these ideas.One of the things I do at my shows with the prep bowls is I put some dried parsley in one and then cut up some fresh parsley. I then pass the dried around and tell everyone to smell it. Then pass the fresh. Big difference. Everyone oohs and ahhs at how much better the fresh smells. Then I will chop up the parsley with either the chopper, kitchen shears, crinkle cutter etc just to show them how easy it is to prepare fresh food. Just trying to show them that is not much harder to chop some fresh parsley up and have a much better taste.

These are great for decorating cookies (think Christmas time!)... A few colors of frosting, mixed in their own little bowl, then put sprinkles, colored sugars, candies, etc in other bowls.. you can pop tops on them if you only want to do a few at a time, or if you're like me and have a toddler hanging off you constantly.

these are also great for crafts with scouts, church groups, etc... keep beads, buttons, thread, etc inside of them..

pchefinski said:
These are great for decorating cookies (think Christmas time!)... A few colors of frosting, mixed in their own little bowl, then put sprinkles, colored sugars, candies, etc in other bowls.. you can pop tops on them if you only want to do a few at a time, or if you're like me and have a toddler hanging off you constantly.

Yes! I did this as an activity for the kids at my son's b-day party. Baked up some sugar cookies in advance (on my stone, of course) and then had all the fixins' in the prep bowls. They loved it!

Cakes, Cakes, CakesI made the doll cake for a bridal show. I made a ladybug mama cake with the small bowl and used the prep bowls to make baby ladybugs. I also used the prep bowls to make a caterpillar cake. It was great and so much fun!! I use my bowls everyday. I microwave Velveeta and rotel for great nachos in the Batter bowls large or small, and store leftovers with the convenient lids.
I use the prep bowls to store leftover tomatoe sauce that I hate to throw away from the 8oz cans. Also I love to use the prep bowls for easy viewing of ingredients I am using at my show, and yes I pre shred or pre chop alot of things before the show.
Debbie :D

I always tell people this joke at my shows: what do you get when you put the batter bowl and the small batter bowl together? Answer: baby batter bowls- prep bowls :D

your directions for cakes in the prep bowls!!
DebbieSAChef said:
I made the doll cake for a bridal show. I made a ladybug mama cake with the small bowl and used the prep bowls to make baby ladybugs. I also used the prep bowls to make a caterpillar cake. It was great and so much fun!! I use my bowls everyday. I microwave Velveeta and rotel for great nachos in the Batter bowls large or small, and store leftovers with the convenient lids.
I use the prep bowls to store leftover tomatoe sauce that I hate to throw away from the 8oz cans. Also I love to use the prep bowls for easy viewing of ingredients I am using at my show, and yes I pre shred or pre chop alot of things before the show.

I would love to know because before I was a consultant my first PC purchase was batter bowl to make the barbie cake [I've now made 3 of them!] and now I have a daughter....well, I will need to make her one and I figured that I will make a queen and her court or something. :p

I also call the prep bowls my food network bowls....as I dump stuff out of them as I'm demo-ing the recipe. ;)

Sandi

Brownie Sundaes in Prep Bowls
pcjulie said:
A guest at one of my shows gave me this idea, although I haven't tried it yet. I think she got the idea at another type of show that sold dishes like the prep bowls. Anyway, she said to put about 1/3 cup or so brownie batter in the prep bowl and microwave 1 minute. Top it with ice cream and choco. syrup for a brownie sundae!

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

Has anyone tried this yet? Curious how they came out.

Awesome!My family tried this the other night and they were incredible! We ate a whole box of brownie mix (an 8x8 pan size) between the 5 of us. We didn't even need the syrup becasue we had an extra rich brownie mix. We'll definitely be making them again!

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

I hope I'm doing this right.

Wow, what a great tip!!!! I am curious, though, about the caterpillar and doll cake. How do you do that? I just started with PC, but I have been using the products for over 10 years.

Mary

Here is one that I heard at our Cluster meeting last night. At your show, ask the question, "What happens when you leave the batter bowls in the cupboard too long?" Everyone kinda looks at you wondering and then say, "They have babies."

That gets them laughing.

Great ideas.

That's so cute! I'll have to use that one. :D

pcjulie said:
A guest at one of my shows gave me this idea, although I haven't tried it yet. I think she got the idea at another type of show that sold dishes like the prep bowls. Anyway, she said to put about 1/3 cup or so brownie batter in the prep bowl and microwave 1 minute. Top it with ice cream and choco. syrup for a brownie sundae!

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

Um does anyone else's brownie batter boil when it bakes? Have I just never watched it bake before? Somehow I can't recall it boiling but hey that might just be me. I tried these in the microwave, like this suggestion, but mine turned out terrible. 1 minute was not long enough, and then after 2 more 30 second intervals, it was a burnt rock. And my microwave is not extra hot or old or anything.. So, I put the rest of the batter in the oven and now it's.. um.. boiling. I'm not joking. Is this normal? Maybe it's b/c I didn't have an egg, so I just used an extra tbspn of oil, but that usually works in other recipes I've done (my husband is allergic to egg yolks, so I'm used to the substituting), so.. Anyway.. any reasons why you think they turned out so terrible?

luvs2sellit said:
I love all these ideas.One of the things I do at my shows with the prep bowls is I put some dried parsley in one and then cut up some fresh parsley. I then pass the dried around and tell everyone to smell it. Then pass the fresh. Big difference. Everyone oohs and ahhs at how much better the fresh smells. Then I will chop up the parsley with either the chopper, kitchen shears, crinkle cutter etc just to show them how easy it is to prepare fresh food. Just trying to show them that is not much harder to chop some fresh parsley up and have a much better taste.

Another idea is to keep fresh herbs in the freezer in them. I cut up basil, dill, cilantro, etc. and pop 'em in there for whenever I need something fresh. Tastes better than dried and I kill anything living! (Black thumb!)

Can anyone tell me how to make the catapillar and ladybug out of the prep bowls. My neice has a birthday coming up and I thought I would try it out on her 4 year old friends (lol).

Shannon

Great idea! I cant wait to share this with my customers. They say you should have 3 uses for each product, this will be another great tip! Thanks!

Cake for everyoneFor my daughter's 1st birthday, I made little cakes in the prep bowls (like you would for the caterpiller cake), but instead of making it into a caterpiller, I made mini 'baked alaska' cakes that were in Season's Best a few seasons ago. Everyone at the party had their own cake, and my daughter loved sticking her finger in the filling. Very cute and easy!

How cute would little Easter egg cakes be! I can't wait to try them!

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

I just thought I would give my own Prep Bowl recipe that I give at my shows. Divide a can of cherry or apple pie filling among the prep bowls (you may need 2 cans if you're using all 6 bowls). Top each one with a Pillsbury biscuit that has been slightly flattened. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake according to the directions on the biscuit can. Individual cobblers for everyone!

that is a great tip. I will for sure use it at home and it will be great for a small show.

No Microwave?Does anyone know if the omelette would work in a toaster oven? :p I dont have a microwave??

It would end up being more like a quiche. It would also take alot longer to bake. Like around 30min

thanks Angela!!!

sandi4tpc said:
I would love to know because before I was a consultant my first PC purchase was batter bowl to make the barbie cake [I've now made 3 of them!] and now I have a daughter....well, I will need to make her one and I figured that I will make a queen and her court or something. :p

I also call the prep bowls my food network bowls....as I dump stuff out of them as I'm demo-ing the recipe. ;)

Sandi

Oh I want to do this for my daughter as well! We call her our princess so I want to make her the princess and then use the prep bowls to make lady in waiting cupcakes for the other toddler girls that will be there. Would love suggestions on where to buy the smaller sized dolls for the prep bowl cakes!

And I love all the other ideas I've read also!
Thanks
Sonya

DebbieSAChef said:
I made the doll cake for a bridal show. I made a ladybug mama cake with the small bowl and used the prep bowls to make baby ladybugs. I also used the prep bowls to make a caterpillar cake. It was great and so much fun!! I use my bowls everyday. I microwave Velveeta and rotel for great nachos in the Batter bowls large or small, and store leftovers with the convenient lids.
I have some pictures of doll cakes, and ladybug cakes if any one would like them please email me privately and I will be glad to send them. I cant upload any pictures on here.

flora at [email protected]

My cool prep bowl idea, is great for the Easter Holiday Season. I must say it was an original thought, but I'm sure others have thought of the same thing. after greasing and flouring all 6 prep bowls, fill eac one 2/3 full with a prepared cake mix. Bake. after turning out little cakes and cooling, secure two cakes together wide mouth edges together with some icing and then decorate the entire cake as individual Easter egg cakes! Decorate as you wish!

Sonya-
I thought about doing little doll cakes with the prep bowls, too, and my thought for the doll would be little Polly Pockets. I think those would be the perfect size (maybe?).
Thanks,
Amy :)

You know that they now have a pilsbury shortbread that looks just like their biscuit dough. I bet that would make a great cobbler, or indv. strawberry shortcakes.

Specifics, please...
Liddy98 said:
You know that they now have a pilsbury shortbread that looks just like their biscuit dough. I bet that would make a great cobbler, or indv. strawberry shortcakes.

Do you mean in a tube by the biscuits and crescent rolls? What am I supposed to look for when I go for these. This sounds like the solution I've been looking for to make my "Little Cups of Heaven" recipe into cheesecakes...didn't like sugar cookie dough!

Thanks!

Last year for HWC my recruiter made "boob" cakes!!! She made individual cakes in the prep bowls and then tinted the icing to be flesh tone and cut marichino cherries in half for the nips. They were so funny looking!!!

Yes I saw it in Safeway right by the crescent rolls, and refrigerator biscuits. Yummy...Also I love the shortcake recipe on the back of the bisquick box...it is awesome!

Just looking through this subject and thought I'd add the idea I did for my grandson's birthday. He loves sports. So I took the prep bowls and did the egg shape like for the Easter eggs. Only I used brown frosting and a star tip for decorating and then made them look like little footballs with the hash marks on the side in white frosting. I used the small batter bowl and did a big football for on the main cake and then had little footballs for each of his brothers and his cousins that were at his party. Everyone seemed to like it and each child had a cake of their own!

prep bowl desserts
amya said:
I just thought I would give my own Prep Bowl recipe that I give at my shows. Divide a can of cherry or apple pie filling among the prep bowls (you may need 2 cans if you're using all 6 bowls). Top each one with a Pillsbury biscuit that has been slightly flattened. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake according to the directions on the biscuit can. Individual cobblers for everyone!

That is such a great idea!!! I can't wait to make a cherry or apple cobbler for my 4 year old niece. She loves her fruit. A scoop of vanilla ice cream would certainly be a nice topping. Thanks again.

I have got to try this! I keep seeing it!

YUM!!! Gonna try this!

I need to Try this one as well. Flaten out the biscut using the Meat Tenderizer. That is one of my favorit items besides the stone, the chopper, etc.
LOL

did you guys see the new Cooking for Two Cookbook? There is an awesome Chocolate Recpe for the Prep Bowls....YUM!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ksmedic
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Cathy pclady
  • atpchef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
Replies