• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Use a Brulee Torch on Prep Bowls for Creme Brulee?

. Just be sure not to have the fire on the glass too much.I actually made so.e last night...came out perfect used torch and they came out amazing.
pkd09
Silver Member
I am thinking of doing a Creme Brulee in the Prep Bowls. I know they are oven safe to 350 BUT can I use a brulee torch on them?

I would definitely ask the test kitchens that one but my guess would be that they'll say no.

Since the torch is only to carmelize the sugar I don't see why you can't do creme brulee in the Prep Bowls. Just be sure not to have the fire on the glass too much.

I think I will wait until Monday and call the test kitchen. I'll let you know what they say. Thank you for your input.

Chef Kearns said:
Since the torch is only to carmelize the sugar I don't see why you can't do creme brulee in the Prep Bowls. Just be sure not to have the fire on the glass too much.

I have to agree with you, although I have only made it in my ramakins(sp?) But you are torching the sugar not the dish....:)

Ginger428 said:
I have to agree with you, although I have only made it in my ramakins(sp?) But you are torching the sugar not the dish....:)

I recently read a recipe that said to just broil them - I don't remember what kind of dish they used, but thought it was interesting. :)

I have used my torch with them. I would keep the torch moving rather than concentrating too much in one spot. It worked fine for me.

its_me_susan said:
I recently read a recipe that said to just broil them - I don't remember what kind of dish they used, but thought it was interesting. :)

Originally Creme Brulee always said to broil them, but when the small torches became popular many people thought that was easier & quicker....;)

Ginger428 said:
Originally Creme Brulee always said to broil them, but when the small torches became popular many people thought that was easier & quicker....;)

Really????? :) i've only loved and eaten them ~ would never want to know how to make them or I just might, all the time! Are the small torches the little candle lighters?

its_me_susan said:
Really????? :) i've only loved and eaten them ~ would never want to know how to make them or I just might, all the time! Are the small torches the little candle lighters?

No Susan,
The torch is about the size of our spritzer & theres a knob that you turn to light it & its quite powerful. They are somewhat of a pain in the butt to make. First you start on the stove then they go in a water bath in the oven when they are done you have 2 choices, put them under the broiler, but you have to eat them soon, or refrigerate them & you can carmelize them ( using the torch) as you need them. Basically what it is is vanilla custard....HTH :D

I was watching Discovery Health the other night and Sam the Cooking Guy just made vanilla pudding then sprinkled sugar on top. He called it a Fake Brulee. He served it with fresh berries. Looked good so thought I would try it.

Update from HO on Prep Bowls & Creme Brulee: The first answer I received was VERY non committal so I e-mailed again. The answer I just received is "Because the Use and Care states not to expose the bowls to a sudden temp change" they do not recommend using a Brulee torch. No warranty if they are used for such purpose. Just wanted to pass on.

pkd09 said:
I am thinking of doing a Creme Brulee in the Prep Bowls. I know they are oven safe to 350 BUT can I use a brulee torch on them?
I actually made so.e last night...came out perfect used torch and they came out amazing

20191110_113909.jpg

1. How many prep bowls come in a set?

The Prep Bowls & Brulee Torch set comes with a total of 4 prep bowls.

2. Are the prep bowls microwave safe?

Yes, the prep bowls are microwave safe for quick heating and reheating.

3. Can the brulee torch be used for other purposes besides making creme brulee?

Yes, the brulee torch can also be used for melting cheese, toasting marshmallows, and browning meringues.

4. How do I clean the brulee torch?

The brulee torch can be cleaned with warm soapy water and a soft cloth. Make sure to dry it thoroughly before storing.

5. What material are the prep bowls made of?

The prep bowls are made of durable stoneware that is oven, microwave, and dishwasher safe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ivykeep
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ejleinenbach
  • bakinwithbacon
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • ksmedic