1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Prep Bowls & Brulee Torch?

1. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

I am thinking of doing a Creme Brulee in the Prep Bowls. I know they are oven safe to 350 BUT can I use a brulee torch on them?

Oct 19, 2007
  2. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

I would definitely ask the test kitchens that one but my guess would be that they'll say no.

Oct 19, 2007
  3. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Legacy Member Gold Member

Since the torch is only to carmelize the sugar I don't see why you can't do creme brulee in the Prep Bowls. Just be sure not to have the fire on the glass too much.

Oct 19, 2007
  4. pkd09

I think I will wait until Monday and call the test kitchen. I'll let you know what they say. Thank you for your input.

Oct 20, 2007
  5. Ginger428

Ginger428 Legacy Member Gold Member

I have to agree with you, although I have only made it in my ramakins(sp?) But you are torching the sugar not the dish....:)

Oct 20, 2007
  6. its_me_susan

its_me_susan Senior Member

I recently read a recipe that said to just broil them - I don't remember what kind of dish they used, but thought it was interesting. :)

Oct 20, 2007
  7. ljeffries

ljeffries Advanced Member

I have used my torch with them. I would keep the torch moving rather than concentrating too much in one spot. It worked fine for me.

Oct 20, 2007
  8. Ginger428

Originally Creme Brulee always said to broil them, but when the small torches became popular many people thought that was easier & quicker....;)

Oct 20, 2007
  9. its_me_susan

its_me_susan Senior Member

Really????? :) i've only loved and eaten them ~ would never want to know how to make them or I just might, all the time! Are the small torches the little candle lighters?

Oct 20, 2007
  10. Ginger428

No Susan,
    The torch is about the size of our spritzer & theres a knob that you turn to light it & its quite powerful. They are somewhat of a pain in the butt to make. First you start on the stove then they go in a water bath in the oven when they are done you have 2 choices, put them under the broiler, but you have to eat them soon, or refrigerate them & you can carmelize them ( using the torch) as you need them. Basically what it is is vanilla custard....HTH :D

Oct 21, 2007
  11. pkd09

I was watching Discovery Health the other night and Sam the Cooking Guy just made vanilla pudding then sprinkled sugar on top. He called it a Fake Brulee. He served it with fresh berries. Looked good so thought I would try it.

Oct 21, 2007
  12. pkd09

Update from HO on Prep Bowls & Creme Brulee: The first answer I received was VERY non committal so I e-mailed again. The answer I just received is "Because the Use and Care states not to expose the bowls to a sudden temp change" they do not recommend using a Brulee torch. No warranty if they are used for such purpose. Just wanted to pass on.

Dec 12, 2007

13. I actually made so.e last night...came out perfect used torch and they came out amazing

Nov 10, 2019
Have something to add?