• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pre-Eclampsia Foundation: the Brain Study (Not a Joke)

...recently pregnant, you may still be eligible to participate in The Brain Study. If you have had a recent pregnancy, you are not eligible to participate in the study.Thanks for your input!I'm pregnant, will I be able to?If you are currently pregnant, you may still be eligible to participate in The Brain Study. However, you will not be able to answer the questions.
AJPratt
Silver Member
Hi! Many of you know that 20 months ago, Pre-Eclampsia & HELLP Syndrome almost took my life. For my story: http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/anyo...-syndrome-pregnancy-related-56233/#post686538 Since then, I have become involved with the Pre-Eclampsia Foundation, educating others and volunteering.

The Preeclampsia Foundation, in collaboration with researchers at University Medical Center Groningen and the University of Washington, is seeking to understand the long-term impact of preeclampsia on the lives of women. Women who have had preeclampsia may have long-term problems with memory, concentration or emotional issues related to daily-life functioning. The purpose of The Brain Study is to gain a more complete understanding of the nature and frequency of these problems.

We need women to participate in this study who have had preeclampsia, as well as women who have not had preeclampsia. In either case, the only requirements are that your first pregnancy occurred since 1990 and that you have not had a baby in the past 3 months.

Click this link for more information on participating in the survey/study: http://www.preeclampsia.org/research/participants.asp

I wouldn't mind participating. But I was physically assaulted in '94, received a concussion & have been dealing with memory problems (short & long term) since then, so that might skew the results. Ask them. If they don't care about that, I'll play ... but I don't want to mess up their study if that's going to have an impact in the results that I might give. ;)

I sent an email. We will see what they say. Thank you for your willingness to participate. I almost fell off my chair when I answered almost all of those questions with "frequently".

Thanks for posting this. I took the survey. I had preeclampsia & was very sick when I had my first. I spent 1 wk in Hospital, he was there over 10wks & had many issues. Placenta was detaching when they delivered & they bagged him for 5 min. before he was breathing. Spent 3 wks on the ventilator & oxygen for months. Lucky to have him. He was 30 wks and 1.5 lbs. He'll turn 8 this summer & has fully recovered all medical issues. God is soooooo good!!

2nd was born full term. No issues.

Very interesting on the effects. Will be interesting to see how the study turns out.

Thanks, Barb... You story encouages me. Maybe if I have a second child, I won't have the same problems.

Anne:

It's so scary everything you & the little ones go through the first few wks, months, yrs. You NEVER think you'll get past it, but you do.

We were told 1st that 2nd preg. didn't get it, but after I was pg they said I was high risk & could have it again. We would have NEVER gotten pg if we thought it was possible a 2nd time.

I had NO issues at all with my 2nd pregnancy and Brett turned out perfectly healthy. Don't be afraid to do it again if/when you are ready.

do you know when the survey ends? i just had my 3rd baby 5 weeks ago, so i'll have to wait another 2 months before i can do the survey. i have the link saved in my favorites so i can return to it.

I am not sure how long they are conducting the survey. I guess you could answer the questions pre-baby #3.

Hi, Anne!

I took it for you, well, for them I guess. I am the other side - had no trouble and Tristan was two weeks late and HUGE. And is still huge. He's 42" tall now and 40lbs. And only three years old! I think he might hit that 6'8" they have predicted for him well before he is 18.

Hope you are doing good.

HI Anne, I am willing to help out also. I had severe preeclampsia with my first child and was hospitalized and she spend time in the NICU. However, I went on to have three more children and never had any further problems with it.

What if I'm currently pregnant?

Thanks, everyone!

NooraK: I think its a post-partum study. Check it out and see.

I did, and I'm still not sure, the wording is a big vague:

Before beginning the survey we ask you to confirm:

A) Your first pregnancy occurred since 1990.
B) You have not had a baby in the past 3 months.

If your answers to A) and B) are YES then click on the Start Survey button below.

If your answer to either A) or B) is NO, then you should not participate. Just close your web browser.

The first question then says:

If you had your first pregnancy since 1990, but have not been pregnant in the last 3 months -- either with or without preeclampsia -- please take about 15 minutes to complete this survey.

I have not had a baby in the last 3 months, but I have been pregnant for the last 6 months. I can say that I'm feeling the effects of baby brain, so I don't know if that would affect my answers.

Re-read the question Noora: "... but have not been pregnant in the last 3 months ..." You are currently pregnant, so you HAVE been pregnant in the last 3 months. You do not qualify for their survey. ;)

Sheila said:
Re-read the question Noora: "... but have not been pregnant in the last 3 months ..." You are currently pregnant, so you HAVE been pregnant in the last 3 months. You do not qualify for their survey. ;)

Yeah... after I posted I stared at it for a while. Then the lightbulb switched on. :D Gotta love this baby brain... I just wish they would have worded it the same in both places.

See that pregnancy brain is why they don't want you to participate!!! LOL Said with lots of love, of course! ;)

Anne, I forwarded the link to some of my Mommy friends. Here's a comment from a twin Mommy. I told her I'd forward it to you & see if you could forward it to the ones doing the survey:

I did the survey. The only thing I found that it ignored was the multiples factor. Multiples do increase your risk for pre e. They also increase your risk for post pardum depression and some of the other anxiety issues they ask about. In the history section it asked about my pregnacies and never asked me if my second pregnancy was twins. Anyway, to bad they aren't taking that into consideration because it would be useful information.

I would gladly do the survey, but my first child was born in 1989 :(

I will forward the link though...I hope they get some good information!

Thanks, everyone! Sheila: I did hear back and they think your concussion would skew the results. But, THANK YOU so much for your support! And, your friend makes a very good point. I think after they get the results of this study, they will extend it into multiples.

Thanks! I am overwhelmed by your support!

1. What is the Pre-Eclampsia Foundation?

The Pre-Eclampsia Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to reducing the risks of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy, including pre-eclampsia, eclampsia, and HELLP syndrome.

2. What is the purpose of the Brain Study?

The Brain Study, conducted by the Pre-Eclampsia Foundation, aims to investigate the long-term effects of pre-eclampsia on the brain. This includes studying the cognitive function and brain structure of women who have had pre-eclampsia during pregnancy.

3. Can anyone participate in the Brain Study?

Yes, anyone who has had pre-eclampsia during pregnancy can participate in the Brain Study. This includes women who have had pre-eclampsia in the past, as well as those who are currently experiencing it.

4. How do I sign up for the Brain Study?

To sign up for the Brain Study, you can visit the Pre-Eclampsia Foundation's website and fill out the online registration form. You will then be contacted by a researcher who will provide you with more information and next steps.

5. Is there a cost to participate in the Brain Study?

No, there is no cost to participate in the Brain Study. All study-related expenses, including imaging tests and travel costs, will be covered by the Pre-Eclampsia Foundation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
chefmeg
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg