• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sending Prayers for a Friend in Need | Update on Her Recovery

In summary, My aunt has woken from her coma and is responsive. However, her heart is operating at less than 50% capacity, she has pneumonia and fluid in her lungs, and the next three days are very important.
sklay723
Gold Member
I would like to ask everyone to stop for just a quick moment and send up a prayer for a friend of mine who needs it.

Almost three years ago I met a lady in the local MOMS Club (support organization for stay-at-home moms). I joined the club six months later and she and I got to be friends. We're not the "hang out all the time" kind of friends, but we talk on the phone pretty frequently, watch each others' kids from time to time, and hang out whenever we're able to. Her daughter is one month younger than my kids (so she's four), and her son just turned two.

I don't want to put her name out here in cyberspace for privacy reasons, but I want to ask for prayers. I was notified earlier today that she collapsed at the gym this morning and was rushed to our local hospital, where they diagnosed her with a blood clot in her brain. She was life-flighted to a hospital in the next city north, about 45 minutes away, because they have better facilities to care for her particular issue. They took her into surgery early this evening and she was in surgery for almost 6 hours while they worked to repair the blood vessels in her brain (she had hemorrhaging issues apparently, and "tangles" that were causing complications).

She survived the surgery and at last update, she was still in a drug-induced coma to help her body recover. She has an irregular heartbeat which is causing some concern, and there's also some concern about her lungs because she has now developed pneumonia. She is in her early 30's, and I believe has such an amazing and long life ahead of her...please pray for her, as well as her husband, children, other family, and the medical professionals overseeing her care. I believe in the power of prayer, and I think there's no such thing as too much prayer, even if it's from total strangers!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and pray. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Praying...,

Praying with so much heart. My aunt suffered from a similar situation 5 years ago and is still recovering.

Here's the update from around 7 a.m. this morning (EST): She has woken from the coma, and she has opened her eyes. She can blink to answer yes or no questions (such a great sign). She is able to wiggle her toes and squeeze her hands.

The next three days are critical in determining the extent of any damage done, but I know with so many prayer warriors (and she has lots!!!), miracles can happen. Thank you so much for joining me in prayer...it means the world to me to have a network I can come to with my request.

still praying for her..

Glad to hear she's doing well. Praying for a quick and full recovery.

Praying for her..and Thanking God that she was not alone when this happened so someone could call 911 and get her the care she needed quicker.

Praying for her and her family.

Something similar happened to a co-worker of mine from a past job. I know the pain and struggles and pray for her and her family.

chefheidi2003 said:
Praying for her..and Thanking God that she was not alone when this happened so someone could call 911 and get her the care she needed quicker.

That was the #1 thing I have been so stunned by...her husband just happened to be off work this week, and he was home with the kids. Ordinarily she would have been home alone with the two kids, and goodness knows how long she would have been alone if something had happened at home. God knows how to keep us safe even when bad things happen sometimes.

Just got another update from her husband...her irregular heartbeat has been a major concern, and the doctors just confirmed that it's related to her brain injury. At this point she's doing OK but the next three days will be crucial as far as her survival and recovery are concerned.

Don't know how I missed this earlier. Prayers said.

Latest update from her husband (at 8:42 pm) states that a full-body ultrasound showed no other blood clots (good news). When she's awake, she's responsive and blinks to answer yes/no questions (also good news). But her heart is operating at less than 50% capacity (not such good news), and she has pneumonia and fluid in her lungs (more not-so-good news). KEEP THE PRAYERS COMING...the next three days are VERY important. Her husband is so terribly worried, as are the rest of her family and friends...I'm so grateful to have a team of prayer warriors helping us out and keeping her lifted up.

Last edited:
sklay723 said:
I would like to ask everyone to stop for just a quick moment and send up a prayer for a friend of mine who needs it.

Almost three years ago I met a lady in the local MOMS Club (support organization for stay-at-home moms). I joined the club six months later and she and I got to be friends. We're not the "hang out all the time" kind of friends, but we talk on the phone pretty frequently, watch each others' kids from time to time, and hang out whenever we're able to. Her daughter is one month younger than my kids (so she's four), and her son just turned two.

I don't want to put her name out here in cyberspace for privacy reasons, but I want to ask for prayers. I was notified earlier today that she collapsed at the gym this morning and was rushed to our local hospital, where they diagnosed her with a blood clot in her brain. She was life-flighted to a hospital in the next city north, about 45 minutes away, because they have better facilities to care for her particular issue. They took her into surgery early this evening and she was in surgery for almost 6 hours while they worked to repair the blood vessels in her brain (she had hemorrhaging issues apparently, and "tangles" that were causing complications).

She survived the surgery and at last update, she was still in a drug-induced coma to help her body recover. She has an irregular heartbeat which is causing some concern, and there's also some concern about her lungs because she has now developed pneumonia. She is in her early 30's, and I believe has such an amazing and long life ahead of her...please pray for her, as well as her husband, children, other family, and the medical professionals overseeing her care. I believe in the power of prayer, and I think there's no such thing as too much prayer, even if it's from total strangers!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and pray. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Keeping her in my prayers - she is blessed to have such a caring friend in you.

keeping her in my thoughts!

Praying for your friend Katie - I'll keep her and her family in my prayers.

Hello again everyone! Still in the midst of the three-day wait to see what her recovery chances are, but the good news is that the fever from the pneumonia has lessened. The doctors are still very concerned about her heart though, so prayers are still needed. We've also created a group on Facebook called "Praying for Wanda" so we can put up pictures and post updates and so she'll be able to be connected to everyone who is praying for her. Join us there if you'd like. :)

Sending prayers to work thru to the doctors.

Will be praying and watching for updates. Thank you for the opportunity to allow us to be prayer warriors for your friend.

Sending prayers her way.....

It's been an interesting day! They did a cranium angiogram and found that there's no other issues in her brain at this point. The two blood clots they removed Tuesday night appeared to be the only ones after all. Her heart is still at 50% capacity, which is not great...but the good news is that it hasn't gotten worse, so we're not complaining. Her breathing, according to her husband, is getting easier, so we're hoping that means her lungs are clearing up from the fluid. Her fever comes and goes, but that's expected with pneumonia.

On a very positive note, her prayer group on Facebook went from one member (me) to 136 members in a 24-hour period. Not too shabby! Her husband noticed it already and was extremely touched that everyone is rallying to support their family. I will make sure to copy and paste all of your comments into a document to give to them as well, so they can read it to her. She isn't taking visitors at this time...they're minimizing her contact to lower her infection risk because of the pneumonia. I might go visit the family at the hospital this weekend though, just to give her family hugs and pass along everyone's well wishes. Thank you again for your prayers...I'll keep posting updates as they become available! :)

WOW! Not sure how I missed this either. Will say a prayer for your friend, her family, and you. Take Care and keep us posted.

Two new updates from my friend's husband

10:33AM UPDATE They successfully drained the fluids from her lungs. This could be a daily thing. She is off for a CT scan of the brain. The heart remains the primary concern. They are trying a new med to get the heart going. Time is our biggest friend. We have made progress but our worst fears are still possible. We feel your love and thank you!

12:19PM UPDATE: Still waiting on CT results. They just gave her a bath and washed her hair (what is left). That brought her resting heart rate down so she seems to be relaxed. They are starting a cranium test for clots. Waiting is the hardest part. Thank you for all of your love and support. She is going to love seeing all of this.

Their kids are being taken care of by a mutual friend today, but a nanny is currently being considered for the next few months until she has recovered from everything. The kids don't know much about what's been happening...I don't even know if they realize Mommy is sick. My friend saw the kids two days ago and said they seem happy and blissfully unaware, so we're just hoping that remains the same until more progress is made.

Katie,

thanks for the updates.. will keep her and the family in my prayers.

Newest update from her husband: 4:13PM UPDATE The doctor looked at the CT from this morning next the CT from 2 days ago. The swelling is starting to come down in her brain. This will improve her motor skills as the swelling comes down. They started a new treatment for her heart this morning. We will know more tomorrow. The doctor said there is a tiny light in the tunnel. Prayers are working!!!!!!!

Praying for that light to grow and grow.

Last update for today from her husband: 9:56pm UPDATE It's been long day of tests. She is sleeping peacefully. Finally went out with the family for dinner. Good to see the world outside the hospital. Light day of tests tomorrow. Still looking for improvement with the lungs and heart. Looking forward to spending a few hours with the kids tomorrow. Good night everyone and thanks again for your prayers and support.

It's MONDAY, and while I ordinarily don't like Mondays, I'm LOVING this one. I woke up and logged in to get the latest Facebook update, and my friend's husband posted that she was well enough to be taken off the breathing machines this morning!!! They removed the tubes, which will make her more comfortable (something I'm sure she looked forward to, as she was very much aggravated anytime someone adjusted them this past week). And without the tubes, she has been talking. No slurred speech, no memory loss. She even asked for bacon, eggs and coffee for breakfast (won't happen, but the fact that she's asking is a great sign!). Her heart has not really improved much, but the fact that it's stable is a major blessing. They have been draining fluid off of her lungs the past few days, and the pneumonia is under control.

I have always (ALWAYS) been a believer in the power of prayer, but knowing there are almost 250 people in her prayer group on Facebook, plus my Cheffer buddies here on CS, plus any other people who we have "recruited" to be prayer warriors...I can't help but think she's a living miracle and evidence that prayer works!!! She still has quite a road to travel before she is (hopefully FULLY) recovered, but the road is going to be a much better one given all the progress she's made in less than a week.

THANK YOU for continuing to pray for her and her family!!!

This is GREAT news!!!

Wow! I'm so glad to hear of her daily improvements! She and her family are in my prayers as well. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Wow. I don't know how I missed this before now, but sending my prayers and good thoughts for your friend. It sounds like she's slowly but surely coming out of the woods!

The best news so far...today it was announced that her heart is operating at 100% capacity, instead of the 50% capacity it had been at since last Tuesday. I went to visit her in the hospital tonight for the first time. She still has a good fight ahead of her, but I really am amazed at the miraculous recovery she has experienced so far. The only issue that concerns me at this point is that she seems to have issues with her short-term memory, but we're hoping that as the swelling in her brain continues to diminish that will correct itself. Thanks for all the prayers...keep them coming if you don't mind!

1. How did your friend collapse and what was her diagnosis?

According to the update, she collapsed at the gym and was diagnosed with a blood clot in her brain.

2. Where was she taken for treatment?

She was life-flighted to a hospital in the next city north, about 45 minutes away, because they have better facilities to care for her particular issue.

3. How long was she in surgery?

She was in surgery for almost 6 hours while they worked to repair the blood vessels in her brain.

4. How is she doing now?

At the last update, she was still in a drug-induced coma to help her body recover. She has an irregular heartbeat and has developed pneumonia, but she survived the surgery.

5. How can others help?

Please send prayers for her, as well as her husband, children, other family, and the medical professionals overseeing her care. The power of prayer is greatly appreciated.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dianevill
Replies