• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Facing the Fear: My Dental Appointment Today

In summary, the dental assistant wishes she could be there with the patient during the extraction, but understands that it is a lot quicker and easier for the patient if it is done that way. The patient is feeling some relief from the antibotic they are taking and is able to function despite the pain.
PCMomto4
Please keep me in your thoughts today I have a 2:30 dental appt for an abcessed tooth and I hate the dentist. I do go regularly for cleanings but it still give me anxiety. I normally have to get nitrous oxide for any extra work like a filling that might have to be done, however, I am 30 weeks pregnant and can not have it. It is the molar all the way to the back so I am just going to have them pull it vs doing a root canal. I have a small mouth and have had a previous filling in the tooth because I have problems even getting the tooth brush all the way back there to make sure it is clean enough so I figured this was the best solution and easiest for me!!

I'll be thinking of you. A great time to practice your breathing techniques to help you relax while they're working on your mouth.

I can totally relate...HATE the denist...will be praying.

The Dental Assistant in me just wishes I could be there to help you feel better and give you the words to relax. Is this an upper or lower molar? Did the dentist go through all the possibilities and drawbacks of each option? I used to work for an amazing dentist. So kind and gentle and was excellent at giving injections w/ minimal discomfort. His work was so good and our patients were always in good hands. I wish you the best. Just try to relax and think of how better you'll feel when you're done. Extractions are a lot quicker than a root canal, so that's a relief too. :)Have you had much pain w/ this abscessed tooth? As soon as the source of the infection is gone (either the nerve by way of root canal, or the whole tooth itself) you'll feel so much better. Some times they have you take an antibiotic too, so double check on that.

In case you're still here, take an MP3 player with some soothing music. Hopefully your dentist will allow you to have ear buds in, and it'll help relax you and maybe even drown out some of the things you don't want to hear.

For me, my eyes are closed almost the whole time I'm in the dentist's chair. I don't want to see any of the tools they use at all. Out of sight, out of mind doesn't quite work out, but it helps.

I haven't gone yet, I need to take a shower real quick before my Mom gets here to help with my littlest two. I have been in horrible pain with this, that is the only thing that is helping me get there is knowing I will have relief when all is said or done.

This is the first time I am going to the dentist with this problem so I haven't gone over the pro/con's of the different procedures. I just know realistically pulling is much more practical for me not even taking into account the difference in costs between pulling and a root canal. I have been on an antibotic since Saturday morning (my ob called it in for me when my cheek started to swell up and was hot) and it has definately helped take the edge of, i am still not comfortable and haven't really been able to eat anything of substance in a few days but its not constantly throbbing either. I guess the best way to be able to put it is I am able to function, which was not possible Friday night and Saturday.

I will take my husbands ipod, I am not positive how to work it but will try to figure it out! that is a good idea becuase the noise I think from the tools is half of the anxiety!

Can totally relate! I beg for nitrous when I'm going for a cleaning.. Lots of prayers!!

I'm sure if you can't figure it out, there will be someone in the office who can. :)

Hope your visit went well...praying for it to be easy and stress free for you!

Let us know how it went. I'm hoping everything went well and you are resting and on the road to recovery.

The appt was fine, they confirmed what I told them that it is the back molar and it is impacted, its not a wisdom tooth. But since I am pregnant I have to go to an oral surgeon they will not touch me. So I have an appt tomorrow at 2:20 with an oral surgeon. I think dragging it out is worse than anything.

So I will update you guys tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully they will let me have the nitrous even if just for a bit to get the local in to help relax me and then it will be over with in no time!! The dentist did say that it is a good tooth to pull with the way the root is it willcome out easily.

A good note is that I met the new dentist today, the practice I go to was a husband and wife and they have since gotten divorced and the wife is no longer with the group so I had a new dentist who was a younger guy and he was wonderful, very personable and kind.

I think referring you to an oral surgeon is a sign of a good dentist. It means he knows his limitations, and doesn't try to do something he knows he can't do because his ego is too big. I had to have a root canal when I was in my second trimester with my son, and I was referred to an endodontist. He told me that around 80% of his clients are patients whose dentist tried to do a root canal and found themselves in trouble. The last thing you want is for your dentist to start the work, realize he can't finish it, and send you to the oral surgeon anyway.Tonight, take a nice hot bubble bath and relax, you'll be fine tomorrow! :)

PCMomto4 said:
The appt was fine, they confirmed what I told them that it is the back molar and it is impacted, its not a wisdom tooth. But since I am pregnant I have to go to an oral surgeon they will not touch me. So I have an appt tomorrow at 2:20 with an oral surgeon. I think dragging it out is worse than anything.

So I will update you guys tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully they will let me have the nitrous even if just for a bit to get the local in to help relax me and then it will be over with in no time!! The dentist did say that it is a good tooth to pull with the way the root is it willcome out easily.

A good note is that I met the new dentist today, the practice I go to was a husband and wife and they have since gotten divorced and the wife is no longer with the group so I had a new dentist who was a younger guy and he was wonderful, very personable and kind.

I too hate dental work. I've had more than my fair share. Glad you were able to get into the oral surgeon so quickly. I'm praying for you.

NooraK said:
Tonight, take a nice hot bubble bath and relax, you'll be fine tomorrow! :)

Of course not too hot! :D

I'll be praying for you. Fear kept me away from the dentist for far too long. I now go regularly. It isn't my favorite thing to do, but I know it's important.

It sounds like you're in good hands. Get some rest and take care of yourself. :)

Thanks everyone, I will make sure an update when i get home tomorrow afternoon. My hubby took the day off to help with parent pick up from school since the appt will overlap but I knew I didn't want to put it off any longer!

Good luck. I had a wisdom tooth out when I was 8 months pregnant with my first. I can feel for you.

pray appt will go well. i hateeeeeeeeee to pay for pain and that is how i feel everytime i go to the dentist! but once it's done you will be so glad!

Well I went this afternoon and the good news is the let me have the nitrous oxide the bad news is the tooth is still in my mouth and I am in more pain than I was before. THey must have given me 30 shots of novacaine and coudln't get me numb enough to get the tooth out. So I have to go back next week after more antibotics to see if they can get me numb enough then. I will say the oral surgeon and her assistant were absolutely wonderful and great and made me feel at ease (at least as much at ease as I can feel in a dentist office). So keep me in your prayers for a while longer :)

Will do. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of liquids in the meantime.

The tooth is out and I survived and it was actually painless. They sedated me and were able to get it out with no problems. The dental assistant said last week they gave me 47 shots of the novacaine trying to get me numb. I am feeling much better now, the novacaine has rubbed off and I am hoping I am back to normal t his evening because I have a meeting for Moms in Touch tomorrow morning that I would really like to attend!

Such good news. Glad things went well this time.

What can I expect during my dental appointment?

During your appointment, the dentist will likely conduct a thorough examination of your teeth and gums, looking for any signs of decay or other issues. They may also take X-rays, clean your teeth, and discuss any concerns or questions you have. The appointment may also include a treatment plan for any necessary procedures.

What if I am afraid of the dentist?

It's completely normal to feel anxious or afraid about going to the dentist. However, it's important to remember that dentists are trained professionals who are there to help you maintain a healthy smile. If you have specific fears or concerns, be sure to communicate them with your dentist so they can work with you to make the experience as comfortable as possible.

How can I manage my fear during the appointment?

There are several techniques you can try to manage your fear during your dental appointment. Some people find it helpful to practice deep breathing or listen to calming music. Others find it helpful to communicate with the dentist throughout the appointment, letting them know if they feel any discomfort. You can also ask for breaks if needed.

What if I have a low pain tolerance?

If you have a low pain tolerance, it's important to communicate this with your dentist. They can use techniques such as topical numbing gel or local anesthesia to help minimize any discomfort during procedures. You can also ask for breaks or a slower pace to help manage any pain.

How can I prepare for my dental appointment?

To prepare for your dental appointment, be sure to brush and floss your teeth beforehand. Also, make a list of any questions or concerns you have so you can discuss them with your dentist. If you have any relevant medical history, bring that information with you as well. And most importantly, try to relax and remember that you are taking care of your oral health by attending your appointment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kdangel518
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • pamperedlinda