• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Jaw Joint Replacement Surgery: A Journey of Hope

In summary, the speaker is undergoing surgery to have artificial jaw joints put in. They have been in pain for a long time and are hoping for some relief. The surgery will take place at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and they ask for prayers for the procedure and recovery. They have experienced jaw pain for 34 years and have had multiple surgeries to address it. They mention living without jaw joints for 2 months and the challenges that has brought. They are looking forward to being able to open their mouth normally and talk again. They also mention a previous assault and a perpetrator who has committed similar offenses and is now living in St. Petersburg, FL. The speaker expresses empathy for someone else who has also experienced assault and offers prayers for them
carlajanes
Gold Member
Hi Y'all!
It's that time. I had both jaw joints out in March and now I'm having the artificial ones put in. It will be Monday the 18th at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
I appreciate the prayers for the surgery and recovery. I've been in pain for so long and I'm looking forward to a little relief.....although the doctors don't guarantee the surgery will take any pain away. :( I will at least be able to open my mouth!
Thanks!!!

(((hugs))) Both of my discs were dislocated when I was assaulted in '94. I had to give up Jolly Ranchers, straws, suckers, etc. LOVED steak in Japan because I could eat until I was DONE and not have to stop because my jaw gave out on me. Jaw pain is NO fun. Hope you find some relief after the procedure.And for you FL girls, watch out for this one ... he fled TX and was never prosecuted on my case. He went to FL, committed a similar offense & went to prison there. But he's out again & living in St. Petersburg.https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/297398_2499796699458_838063494_n.jpg

Thanks Sheila!!! No it is NOT fun at all!! All of this first started when I was 19.....34 years ago!
My disks slipped out of place and had to be taken out and metal put in the joints. That lasted for a good while until the joints started fusing together (I have rheumatoid arthritis which complicates it all). I had 2 more surgeries to break the fusions then they decided the only thing left was to give me total jaw joint replacement. So in March they took out the joints and quite a bit of excess bone and took images that were sent to the company making the custom artificial ones. They have been working on them for 2 months and are finally ready.

Being without jaw joints for 2 months has been a challenge to say the least! So Monday they will put the custom ones in and hopefully I can come home by the end of the week. For over 30 years I could only open my mouth wide enough to fit 1 finger between my teeth! I won't know what to do when I can open it more normally :D :D :D And I am praying that this excess bone growth doesn't affect these artificial ones!!!!

As for the pain, I've lived in pain for so many years that if it is still there I will adjust and continue. I am looking forward to being able to talk normally again though so I can do cooking shows again!!!

Ok, I've rambled enough....pain medicine does that to me...ha ha.

I am so sorry Sheila you had to endure that!!!!!!! And I pray that they get this guy soon!!!!!

Carla,Can't even imagine what you have gone/are going through! I will be praying for successful surgery and pain relief.

Continuing to pray for you

What is jaw joint replacement surgery?

Jaw joint replacement surgery, also known as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) replacement surgery, is a procedure that aims to replace the damaged or diseased jaw joint with an artificial joint. It is usually recommended for individuals with severe TMJ disorders or those who have not responded to other forms of treatment.

What are the common reasons for needing jaw joint replacement surgery?

The most common reasons for needing jaw joint replacement surgery include severe TMJ disorders, chronic pain, joint degeneration, trauma or injury to the jaw joint, and failed previous treatments such as medications, physical therapy, or arthroscopic surgery.

How is jaw joint replacement surgery performed?

Jaw joint replacement surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia. The surgeon will make an incision in front of the ear and remove the damaged or diseased joint. The artificial joint, usually made of titanium or a combination of metal and plastic, is then implanted in its place. The procedure typically takes 1-2 hours, and patients can usually go home the same day.

What is the recovery process like after jaw joint replacement surgery?

The recovery process after jaw joint replacement surgery can vary from person to person. Generally, patients will experience some discomfort, swelling, and stiffness in the jaw area for the first few weeks. They will also be advised to follow a soft or liquid diet and avoid strenuous activities for a few weeks. Physical therapy may also be recommended to help with jaw movement and function.

What are the potential risks and complications of jaw joint replacement surgery?

As with any surgery, there are potential risks and complications associated with jaw joint replacement surgery. These may include infection, bleeding, nerve damage, jaw joint stiffness, and failure of the artificial joint. However, these risks are rare, and most patients have a successful outcome from the surgery.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• carlajanes
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • carlajanes
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Softballmom
  • carlajanes