• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Will My Baking Mishap Ruin Christmas Dinner?

In summary, the recipe called for a tsp. of baking powder, and I used a tsp. of baking soda instead. So, the cookies may not be as crispy as they would be if the recipe had been followed correctly. Additionally, the cookies may not be as sweet since the baking soda is used in place of the baking powder.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
So - what do you think will happen if the recipe called for a tsp. of baking powder, and I used a tsp. of baking soda instead?

I just mixed up a batch of sugar cookies, using a new recipe - and I didn't read the recipe right. Didn't notice it was powder, and not soda, until they were mixed up and in the fridge....we are supposed to bake them and decorate them after dinner tonight.

pamperedlinda said:
do you have a back-up plan?

Nope - I guess I'm just going to bake these and see what happens.

I was making Swedish Thumbprint cookies at the same time, and not really paying close attention.

Hopefully they will be fine. LOL - I'll just give DS a lot of frosting and sprinkles - he won't care.

hhhmm, I'm not sure...lol. They both have different uses.

Add a tad bit of cornstarch, it should be fine.

Funny, I don't ever have soda or powder in my house and on the rare occasion that I make cookies I leave them out! They've always turned out fine! LOL

ALTHOUGH...funny story...I bought at the store a few weeks ago the Pillsbury choc chip cookies that are all done and ready to just put on the baking sheet, well, dh didn't know that they came from a package and he said they were the best cookies I ever made! :eek: LOL Dont' know if that is supposed to tell me something? ha ha

I think I would have been tempted to say, "You know, those take a lot of work. But, just because I love you so much, I'm willing to make them for you."

How were the cookies?

BettieC said:
How were the cookies?

LOL - they are still sitting in the fridge! Hopefully we can get to them today! I always plan to do more than is acheiveable in the time I've allotted!:eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - they are still sitting in the fridge! Hopefully we can get to them today! I always plan to do more than is acheiveable in the time I've allotted!:eek:

Haha, me too!!

UPDATE - the cookies turned out great! Since this was the first time doing this recipe, I don't have anything to judge them against, other than we were eating them as soon as they were frosted. :D

And, I had 2 of them (a tree and a stocking) for breakfast this morning with a cup of Winter Blend Starbucks coffee.:chef::p

Ha! I have you beat - I had a cold warm nutty caramel brownie for breakfast with my coffee (shhh - don't tell the kids!). At least my breakfast had some protein from all those nuts!!

It is COLD here (and I'm sure other places too!) Last night our thermometer said 2 and our bathroom was 45F (it is above our garage and has 3 outside walls)! Brrrrr!

AnnieBee said:
Ha! I have you beat - I had a cold warm nutty caramel brownie for breakfast with my coffee (shhh - don't tell the kids!). At least my breakfast had some protein from all those nuts!!

It is COLD here (and I'm sure other places too!) Last night our thermometer said 2 and our bathroom was 45F (it is above our garage and has 3 outside walls)! Brrrrr!

I won't tell if you won't! One benefit to getting started earlier than DS!:D

So glad you didn't make the trip up here this weekend! We were under a blizzard warning all day yesterday - it was BAD!

Actually we did! We left Friday at 1pm, got there about 6.30pm, then on Saturday we had the Family Christmas Party at my SIL's school, and left from there about 7pm. The kids slept, we got home with only a 5 min stop for gas and for Abbie to pee, and were home by midnight, ahead of the bad weather!

DH was tracking the weather, and we had just a big enough window to make it! It was fun, but we were tired yesterday! :) And we had youth group last night, hence the WNCB left overs... I am still in PJ's... I need to go shower but our bathroom is still FREEZING and I'd rather crawl back into bed! :). Oh, and I guess someone needs to keep an eye on the kiddo's :).

I made the ham puffs yesterday (thanks for the recipe) and told the kids that Micah loves them, and Abbie said, "I LOVE Micah!". Cute :). If you ever feel like a trip OH, you're always welcome to come and visit us!

1. What should I do if my cake starts to burn on the edges?

If your cake is starting to burn on the edges, lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees and rotate the pan to ensure even baking. You can also cover the edges with aluminum foil to prevent further burning.

2. How do I prevent my cookies from spreading too much during baking?

To prevent your cookies from spreading too much, make sure you are using the correct amount of leavening agent (baking powder or baking soda) and do not overmix the dough. Chilling the dough before baking can also help prevent spreading.

3. What should I do if my bread is undercooked in the middle?

If your bread is undercooked in the middle, tent the top with aluminum foil and continue baking until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top is starting to burn, cover the entire loaf with foil and continue baking until fully cooked.

4. How do I prevent my muffins from sticking to the pan?

To prevent your muffins from sticking to the pan, make sure you are greasing the pan properly before adding the batter. You can also use non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper liners.

5. What should I do if my pie crust is getting too brown during baking?

If your pie crust is getting too brown, cover the edges with aluminum foil or a pie crust shield. You can also lightly brush the crust with an egg wash (one beaten egg with a splash of water) to help it brown evenly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • nancycookspc