• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Thickening Potato Chowder: Tips and Tricks for a Creamy Soup

In summary, Has anyone tried to make this soup thicker? Some people think they could add flour and chicken broth to the baker in the micro or cook the potatoes in the milk in the micro and transfer to the stove while adding flour, etc. to make it thicker. Other people say that adding in instant mashed potatoes to the pot makes it thicker.
chefsteph07
Has anyone tried to make this soup thicker? I absolutely love the ease of this recipe, but I do feel it is too watery...esp since I've had other versions of potato soup and love the thickness. Do you think I could add a little flour and chicken broth to the baker in the micro or cook the potatoes in the milk in the micro and transfer to the stove while adding flour, etc?

I double the cream cheese, and use 1/2 cup less milk.Also - use Russet potatoes. I know people have said that they use red potatoes, etc...but red potatoes are a lot waxier, and the starch in the potatoes is what makes it thicken up.

I used red potatoes..I thought it was plenty thick..honestly I don't know that I would have wanted it any thicker.

as becky said more cheese.. :)

use extra potatoes and mash them up a bit more

Linda, I was actually thinking of adding more potatoes..:) I'm afraid adding more cr cheese would make it too "cream cheesy"...LOL

chefsteph07 said:
Linda, I was actually thinking of adding more potatoes..:) I'm afraid adding more cr cheese would make it too "cream cheesy"...LOL

It doesn't! Really - it's my most requested recipe! It's so much better with the cream cheese - oh, and I also always squeeze a clove or two of garlic into it too. That brings the flavor up several notches too.

I got a recipe variation from someone in my upline that was wonderful. It doubled the cream cheese, replaced 1 cup of milk with half and half (you could use heavy cream too I suppose) and added 8 oz of sour cream and used russett potatos.

Easy peasy: for those folks looking for a thicker textured soup, simply add in some instant mashed potatoes to the pot. Add in a little at a time so that it doesn't become overly thick. I like using the garlic-roasted flavored ones so that I can pump up the flavor a bit.

Actually, I do this trick for other kinds of soups, too....not just potato soup.

I made this for the first time today and LOVE IT! I agree that it isn't thick enough. I am going to try the suggestions you made Becky. (THANK YOU!) I also think I will add some bacon next time I make it!

I used red pototes, halfed the repice but used the full amount of cream cheese and it was pretty thick. I think half and half would make a creamier texture than regular milk also.

I did make this the other night..I added about 2 more potatoes (I checked the bag, they were Idaho) and I followed Becky's suggestion of the full brick of cream cheese...Also, in the cream cheese/milk/butter mixture, I added shredded cheddar instead of waiting till the end and a few cloves of garlic...oh my, it was sooo good! Becky, you were right about the cream cheese! It was not too much at all! I didn't have any this time around, but I do usually add rolled sausage into it, cook it up and mix n chop into little bits and mix in the soup, I'm not big into bacon, so sausage is better for me. I LOVE this recipe. I make it quite often at home.

Um, I use 8 oz of cream cheese and FIVE cloves garlic (three pressed, two shaved) as I demonstrate the garlic tools. LOVE garlic and it is a big wow! I also put a little bit of cayenne pepper in it for a BOOT of flavor!I also put all the green onions in the same time I put in the cheese (I put in a two cup prep bowl of cheese) when I add the milk mixture!. Although my director says meat sells the DCB, and it does, I sell a lot of DCBs with the chowder recipe!CK

chefsteph07 said:
I did make this the other night..I added about 2 more potatoes (I checked the bag, they were Idaho) and I followed Becky's suggestion of the full brick of cream cheese...Also, in the cream cheese/milk/butter mixture, I added shredded cheddar instead of waiting till the end and a few cloves of garlic...oh my, it was sooo good! Becky, you were right about the cream cheese! It was not too much at all! I didn't have any this time around, but I do usually add rolled sausage into it, cook it up and mix n chop into little bits and mix in the soup, I'm not big into bacon, so sausage is better for me. I LOVE this recipe. I make it quite often at home.

I've had a few people suggest ham before and my husband put clams in his (after I got my serving out!).

I also found that the recipe as written (even using starchy potatoes) was very watery. The next time I make it, I'll use the entire package of cream cheese, half and half, and probably add more cheese, too. (-:

We're having this for dinner tonight because I haven't made it in a while and I need to freshen up, as it's my January recipe! I'll try some of your suggestions!

the bread bowls sounds like a great idea!

I'm doing my very first "soup and slippers" show on Jan 8 and I'm going to use this "newer" variation that I did last week, it was so good I have to share w/ my guests! I am also going to make the garlic bites to go w/ it.

I just use more potatoes.

ShellBeach said:
I just use more potatoes.

I did like adding the whole brick of cream cheese too.

1. What ingredients do I need to make Potato Chowder Variation?

To make Potato Chowder Variation, you will need 6 medium potatoes, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 4 cups of chicken broth, 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of heavy cream, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 6 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon, and salt and pepper to taste.

2. Can I substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth?

Yes, you can substitute chicken broth with vegetable broth for a vegetarian version of Potato Chowder Variation.

3. How long does it take to cook Potato Chowder Variation?

The total cooking time for Potato Chowder Variation is approximately 45 minutes.

4. Can I make Potato Chowder Variation ahead of time and reheat it?

Yes, you can make Potato Chowder Variation ahead of time and reheat it. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.

5. What can I serve with Potato Chowder Variation?

Potato Chowder Variation can be served as a meal on its own or as a side dish. It pairs well with crusty bread, a side salad, or a sandwich. You can also top it with additional shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions for added flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cookinforyou
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • ragschef
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies