• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is Contentment and How Can You Achieve It?

In summary, the email discusses the second resolution in a series of Top Ten New Years Resolutions. This resolution is about contentment and how it is often overlooked in a society driven by consumerism and the pursuit of wealth. The email defines contentment as a state of mind that is independent of external circumstances and explains how it can lead to a more fulfilled life. It also mentions the importance of self-control and faith in achieving contentment.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
This is an email that I received today that I liked a lot, so I wanted to share it with all of you. Today is only day two of this series. The link is at the bottom. You can sign up at his website if you would like his emails.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Top Ten New Years Resolutions - Resolution 2

As we move towards the New Year, I am writing up a list of Top Ten New Years Resolutions that I'm delivering on the blog one at a time. Let's review:

1. No Regret Living - look into the future to Dec 31st of next year. If you have a year that has no regrets, and have lived a year with the right priorities and goals, what would it look like? How will you spend your time? Money? Energy? Write it down. Use it as your blueprint for this coming year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution Two: Contentment

Sound boring? Maybe you were hoping for something like "get rich!" or "become a millionaire".

Most people don't learn until late in life that NO amount of money will be enough or bring satisfaction when you are not a person who has learned true contentment.

America is the land of discontentment. A relentless consumerism onslaught makes sure that we never have "enough"... enough to be the most popular, enough to have the most friends, enough to be among the "beautiful crowd", enough to live our life thinking we don't need all those "losers" who haven't made it to the top of the mountain with us.

"Enough" is not a word most Americans have any concept of. Neither is "rich". Historically, "rich" means to have more than enough for today, and to not worry today about the necessities of tomorrow. "Rich" now is not even wealthy or upper class... it's super rich, crazy wealth.

We live in an era where contentment is simply not taught, practiced or promoted as the remarkable indispensable virtue that it is.

What is contentment?

It is a state of mind that has little-to-nothing to do with circumstances. You have discontent billionaires and discontent welfare recipients. You have truly content wealthy folks, as well as poor people who are perfectly content. There are content people who are suffering, and discontent people who have every luxury and comfort.

Contentment is a choice of personal satisfaction, an ease of mind regardless of externals. A discontent person is discontent no matter how much money they have or how many personal impulses are fulfilled. A content person is just the opposite.

It is common knowledge among those who do mission or charity work in poor or undeveloped countries that many groups of people who have almost no money or posessions are often completely content and happy. In America, we not only have a hard time understanding that, we think it must simply be because they DON'T KNOW what they are missing, ie. western affluence and ease.

Given the common link between affluence and supposed contentment that saturates our society, one would wonder how anyone could ever be content without a big house, nice cars, endless comforts and conveniences, countless options and copious amounts of leisure time.

On a deeper level contentment is the self control of desires. We all have desires for sure, but left unchecked, they are the breeding ground of discontent. Contentment reigns in impulses and desires to a proper level and priority in life.

On a spiritual level, contentment is the understanding and belief that God is in control of our life and at any given moment we have, and are experiencing, exactly what God has ordained for our benefit, yes, benefit. When we realize that our circumstances are used by God, known by God and directed by God, we finally realize there is no reason to ever be discontent.

I may have only $10. Contentment says that if God wants me to have a million, He'll provide it. Contentment says that if God wants me working another job, He'll open that door. If God wants certain uncomfortable circumstances to disappear, they will. Otherwise, contentment teaches us to look for the good, the purpose and the lesson that can be learned in every circumstance, even the uncomfortable ones.

Eternally, contentment is knowing that no matter what happens in this life, an eternal future of blessing, abundance and perfection awaits those who place their faith in God. So there is no reason to sweat this blink-of-an-eye temporal existence compared to eternity. A big source of discontentment is the unspoken idea that we only have "this life" to get what we can get, so we better hurry up and get it.

Contentment is applicable, and necessary for a fulfilled life, on every level of life. But how does one become a contented person?

How can you become a contented person?

Remind yourself that contentment means happiness and satisfaction no matter what your circumstances are. No longer do you have to wait for more money, the right person or popularity to be happy. Contentment brings perpetual happiness divorced from external conditions.
Focus on what you HAVE rather than what you don't have. The relentless pounding of advertising and affluence makes us constantly think about things we don't have or should have. This cultivates discontentment. Everytime you think about something you don't have - more money, a new car, a life of leisure - think about ten things you DO have: a warm bed, decent clothes, plenty of food, friends, love of family, a toothbrush, freedom.
Correct your understanding of what "enough" really is: food (have you ever really gone hungry or starving?); clothes (have you ever really worn filthy rags and shivered in the cold night after night); shelter (have you ever been TRULY homeless, not by choice). 99.9% of people in western society have food, clothing and shelther. Very few go without transportation, comforts, conveniences, pleasures, leisure, friends and family.
We are discontent for one primary reason: we want MORE. It's not ENOUGH. Correct that part of your mind and heart, and contentment becomes attainable. And contentment is worth more than any amount of money, affluence or personal options because none of those things, in any amount, are satisfying without contentment.

Contentment may very well be the most important character trait you can ever develop. Once contentment is learned and practiced, external circumstances lose their power over us.

Contentment allows us to make more money to honor God by enjoying his blessings (thereby glorifying Him), help other people and giving us increased opportunity to do good.

Contentment allows us relax, enjoy life and be at ease rather than constantly lamenting what we don't have or NEEDING to increase what we do have for the false reasons advertising presents: popularity, sex, acceptance and status.

Contentment will separate you from most other people. Contentment will draw people to you so that you can share with them your "secret" of happiness, peace and a joy for life.

Make the coming New Year a year that you will learn and practice contentment. Without it, nothing else you do next year will matter all that much.

- Brent

Get notified when I post something new. Your
information is NEVER shared or sold, period:
Name: Email:
Print post | Post Comment

Share This With Others SEND TO A FRIEND del.icio.us Digg it Furl iFeedReaders ma.gnolia reddit Spurl StumbleUpon Yahoo MyWeb
IMPORTANT - if you found this information helpful and appreciate the effort I make writing it, please support me by "Sending to a friend!". - BR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permanent link: http://www.brentriggsblog.com/?ItemID=72

Thank you for sharing that, it was timed perfectly for what I have been doing today.

Wow, this is a really insightful post. I completely agree with the idea of contentment being a crucial character trait that is often overlooked in our society. It's so true that we are bombarded with messages telling us that we need more and more to be happy, when in reality, true happiness and satisfaction comes from within. I love the idea of focusing on what we have rather than what we don't have. It's a simple shift in mindset that can make a huge difference. Thanks for sharing this, and I'll definitely be checking out the rest of the resolutions!

1. What is "Positive Email That I Received"?

"Positive Email That I Received" is a feature offered by Pampered Chef that allows customers to send an email to our team expressing their satisfaction and positive experiences with our products and services.

2. How do I send a positive email to Pampered Chef?

To send a positive email to Pampered Chef, simply click on the "Contact Us" link on our website and select the option to send a positive email. You can also send an email directly to our customer service team at [email protected].

3. Will I receive a response to my positive email?

Yes, our team at Pampered Chef greatly values our customers and their feedback. We make sure to respond to all positive emails and appreciate the time and effort our customers take to share their positive experiences with us.

4. Can I share my positive email on social media?

Yes, we encourage our customers to share their positive experiences with us on social media. You can tag us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter using our handle @pamperedchef and the hashtag #PositiveEmailThatIReceived.

5. How does Pampered Chef use the positive emails received?

The positive emails we receive are used to motivate and inspire our team to continue providing excellent products and services to our customers. We also use them as testimonials on our website and social media platforms to showcase the satisfaction of our customers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • Admin Greg
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies