• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Try Stamps.com: $100 in Extras with No Long-Term Commitment

In summary, the person is considering trying out stamps.com from the USPS instead of going to the post office. It includes $100 in extras - $45 in postage, free digital scale (have to pay shipping and handling), and $5 supplies kit. It seems like a good way to give it a try. However, the long-term expenses are unknown, and the person does not know if things will get delivered in a timely manner.
Becca_in_MD
Gold Member
Does anyone use stamps.com from the USPS instead of going to the post office? Since I moved it's not as convenient to drop by the PO. I got an offer in the mail that includes $100 in extras - $45 in postage, free digital scale (have to pay shipping and handling), and $5 supplies kit. It seems like a good way to give it a try. I have not checked out the fine print.

Any long-term expenses? Do I have to buy special "postage paper?" Are things going to get delivered in a timely manner? It says there are online postage savings available that are not available at the post office.

And have you noticed how the price for mailing a host packet keeps going up? It used to be $4.90 and now up to $5.20. Geez.

I tried to sign up once but found that I could save money if I brought host packets ahead of time to the parties instead of mailing them....plus there is a pick up service that the postal service does...not sure if it would apply where you are...but I am on a rural route and my carriers are just plain awesome....I can leave stuff in the box and they bill me. Good luck.

A simpler way may be to use USPS.com to buy/print postage for packages (I do host packets as Flat-rate envelopes....then the price is always $4.75 - as long as I can get it in the envelope. :) ). I just print the label on regular paper and then tape it to my packages. It does require having a good scale....I used to have a WW Kitchen scale, then that broke and DH got a regular postal scale at the office store. So I use that.As far as postage stamps, buy them at USPS.com also and they will be delivered to your door a few days later. Most grocery stores also sell postage stamps- so ask at your market. And like the previous poster - sometimes carriers carry stamps and you can buy from them. When I was growing up in the country, they gave my mom an envelope and she'd put the money in it and pencil in what she needed (i.e- book of stamps)...and they'd leave them for her. But I use USPS.com directly. Never tried the other site(s).
By the way- you can also order Flat-rate Shipping boxes/envelopes from USPS.com for FREE. Then you just pay the postage when you are ready to mail them. Love that!

I do the same as Bobbi as I am not able to get to the post office most days due to my work hours....it is very easy to order them online. I also use the flat rate priority mail and print the labels at home. You can put alot in those envelopes and the service seems more reliable that the regular envelopes:thumbup:

I use Stamps.com and LOVE it. I know many say it is easier to use USPS, but I like that not only can I print Priority Mail, but also postage in any amount-postcards, regular stamps, etc. You do need special paper to print stamps, but not Priority Mail. And we get a discount on Priority Mail Flat Rate- it is $4.75. If you opt to go with the service, let me know and I can tell you how to make sure you get that rate. It is only offered under a certain section. Oh- and other than the monthly fee, the cost of postage, and the stamp paper I have not incurred any other fees. I only pay $9.95 a month, but I had to call and get that rate.

not dogging Stamps.com, but you also get the discounted Priority Mail Flat Rate for $4.75 through USPS.com when you pay for it & print online- so it's a USPS rate, not Stamps.com discount....That's what I always pay when I pay online and print at home through USPS. Just an FYI.

I do the same as Bobbi does as well. I just ordered like 50 flat rate envelopes and they delivered them to me, took about a week. Then I just print and pay the $4.75 right online and schedule a pick-up for my mail carrier. I then just leave the packages at my mailbox, usually in a bag hanging from the flag because the packets don't fit in my box and they pick them up. You have up until like 2 am the morning of to request a pickup; you just make a notation on the online form where the package is. It is so simple!

Pitney Bowes has a personal postage printer called the Stamp Expressions. The printer is free and I pay $9.95/month to use it. I order my postage in ANY denomination, get the USPS discount for Priority mail, and print all my own stamps and everything .Best $10 a month I ever spent. I do a lot of booths and have to mail packages of little things all the time, it's great to have to print $1.78 or whatever and just stick it out for the mailman.

I use Endicia.com and it is 9.95 a month.. keeps track on who you mailed to and your postage purchases for taxes. you can print on any paper.

crissy11 said:
I use Endicia.com and it is 9.95 a month.. keeps track on who you mailed to and your postage purchases for taxes. you can print on any paper.

I use Endicia as well - have been using it for 7 years.. . love it.

For those that use Endicia- You can use any paper to print even regular .44 stamps?

For those of you paying $10 a month for the service, does it save you money on the postage overall?? I suppose if I sent alot of packages, but I don't, so can't quite justify the $10 month to have the ability to pay for what I can get for much less (free).
dang, and I just remembered I forgot to buy stamps when I was at the grocery store! haha...how funny.

It doesn't save me money on the postage (other than Priority Mail and I certainly am not saving $10 a month.) But it is saving me the time and money to go to the Post Office.

heather223 said:
It doesn't save me money on the postage (other than Priority Mail and I certainly am not saving $10 a month.) But it is saving me the time and money to go to the Post Office.

Ah. Ok. I was wondering. thanks!

yes you can print .44 postage.. you can type in their address and it will verify it and make sure it is right.. I send out 8-10 packets a month and do not like going and standing in line at the PO.. to me it is worth it..

The only thing stopping me from printing the postage at home is Host Packets - any package/envelope that you are mailing that weighs over 13 ounces has to be handed to a postal official - whether it's at a post office or your mail carrier. So if I have to do that I might as well go to the post office and buy the postage.

I stopped mailing anything from my home mail box as the mail lady would come to my door step telling me how I should mail my packages, the dimensions, etc. What she never knew is the post office gave me a great tool to figure out how to classify my envelopes/packages and what rates to apply to them. I always figure out the postage at home and have it confirmed at the post office - never have I been wrong. I think the mail lady just doesn't want to pick up some of my mail....

Actually, the mail box specifically said the 13 ounce rule applies to packages with STAMPS. I think metered mail (and USPS.com and other services are metered mail) is different because they can track the account that sent the package.

I took this straight from USPS.com

Mail weighing more than 13 ounces and bearing only stamps as postage must be presented for mailing to an employee at a Post Office retail service counter. Stamped mail weighing more than 13 ounces can not be deposited in collection boxes or picked up from a customer’s mailbox. Customers can use a number of quick, easy, convenient ways to print postage for packages weighing more than 13 ounces, including an Automated Postal Center, Click-N-Ship, PC Postage, or a postage meter. When postage is paid electronically or with a meter, it does not need to be presented at a Post Office retail counter, regardless of weight.

BeckyC5830 said:
The only thing stopping me from printing the postage at home is Host Packets - any package/envelope that you are mailing that weighs over 13 ounces has to be handed to a postal official - whether it's at a post office or your mail carrier. So if I have to do that I might as well go to the post office and buy the postage.

I stopped mailing anything from my home mail box as the mail lady would come to my door step telling me how I should mail my packages, the dimensions, etc. What she never knew is the post office gave me a great tool to figure out how to classify my envelopes/packages and what rates to apply to them. I always figure out the postage at home and have it confirmed at the post office - never have I been wrong. I think the mail lady just doesn't want to pick up some of my mail....

This is incorrect. As long as it is PRINTED postage and not stamps you're fine. I have been doing my packets thru Endicia and sticking them in my home mailbox for 7+ years. I save 5c on every host packet and every packet of receipts...10-12 shows a month = 10-12 host packets + 10-12 packets of receipts plus not having to pay the gas to get to/from post office 10-12 times a month...TOTALLY worth it.

I have a paypal account that is free and I print my shipping labels here. The priorty flat rate cost is $4.75 and includes delivery confirmation. Not sure why you would want to by $10 a month for a service when there are free alternatives out there.

I am right there with you Wendy. I can order all my postage on a monthly basis and have it mailed to me for only $1.00

I tried Stamps.com and never received the FREE scale. I couldn't print the postage (not compatiable with my printer) and I realized that I can only use Stamps.com labels. I cancelled the service.

I am interested in know more about the Paypal account (Wendy) and how you are mailing without any kind of monthly fee. Is that through USPS online?

I hand out host kits whenever possible. But, for postage I use usps.com. I love the savings and the opportunity to get everything ready while still in my jammies. As for those packages that are 13 oz or more, you can arrange free pickup through usps.com. If you take it to a post office, it should be given to a postal employee, but really all they need to do is see you. If there's a line, walk to an empty station. Wave to get an employee's attention, point to the package, and leave it there.

BeckyC5830 said:

As long as you print postage on USPS.com or use a service like Stamps.com you can mail over 13 ounces from home. I couldn't tell you the last time I made a trip to my Post Office.

I want to clarify- since I mail more than just the host packets (postcards, letters, receipts, catalogs) I can't just use USPS.com so it is worth it for me to pay $10 a month for a service. I save more than that in gas and time not going to the post office. I never run out of stamps this way.

You can sign up for paypal free. To pay for items, there is no charge, but to be paid there is a small fee that Paypal applies. I use the multi-order shipping tool to create labels. I started using this when I sold things (not PC) on eBay and just kept doing it. If you don't have a paypal account it may just be easier to use usps.com or stamps.com. I had a hard time finding the multi-order shipping tool, but just call customer service and they will tell you where to find it.

For those sending host packets in a priority mail flat rate envelope - what are you putting in a host packet, particularly how many catalogs? Full packet of postcard invites or just a few? I seem to recall a recent thread about the PO not taking bulging flat rate envelopes for the $4.75. If I can use the flat rate envelopes, I will.

I usually use the APC - Automated Postal Center. By using its scale it prints the postage label, can print individual stamps, and can give you booklets of 18 regular stamps. I know that machine like the back of my hand. And, it's available 24/7 and rarely has a line. I search on the usps website to find POs that have an APC. I was always in the post office near my old house in the evening. I tried not to go too late at night. Near our new house, I'm not as comfortable going to the APC at night. Plus, it's a few miles from the house v. the 1/2 mile from the old house.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I just need to invest in a postage scale so I can figure out the oddball amounts for sending receipts to hosts. A couple of times a year I actually go to the counter at the PO and get $.61 and $.17 stamps so I can make combinations for the weird amounts.

I always use USPS.com and ship Priority $4.75 flat rate no matter the weight, I do not weigh my Priority flat envelopes!
Ship them right out of my day job office and use that zip code to ship from. USPS will also keep a record of your purchases if you need to. I always take the receipt and immediately put the cost on P3 and put the receipt in my current year envelope, won't have to do it later.

I'm not concerned about the weight of a flat-rate but that it will be too thick. Somewhere else someone said that the priority envelopes don't get the "if it fits it ships" treatment like the boxes do.

Per the USPS website, postage is increasing again on April 17. The additional ounce on first class mail is going up $.03 to $.20. I mail a biz card magnet with upcoming host specials, the recipe list, and opportunity info to my hosts 2 weeks before their show and it used to cost $.61, will now be $.64.

A bulging flat rate envelope is not a problem as long as it closes properly. What you can't do is have stuff hanging out or have it so stuffed you need duct tape to keep it closed.

1. Any long-term expenses?

There may be long-term expenses associated with using Stamps.com, such as a monthly subscription fee or additional fees for certain features. It is important to carefully review the terms and conditions before signing up.

2. Do I have to buy special "postage paper?"

No, you do not have to buy special postage paper to use Stamps.com. You can print postage on regular paper using your own printer.

3. Are things going to get delivered in a timely manner?

Stamps.com uses the United States Postal Service (USPS) to deliver mail, so delivery times should be similar to using the post office. However, it is always a good idea to double check the delivery times for any specific mailing or package on the USPS website.

4. It says there are online postage savings available that are not available at the post office.

Yes, Stamps.com offers discounted postage rates for certain types of mail that are not available at the post office, such as First Class Package Service. It is important to compare rates to see if using Stamps.com will save you money.

5. Have you noticed how the price for mailing a host packet keeps going up?

Yes, postage rates do increase periodically. However, using services like Stamps.com can help save money on postage costs in the long run. It is important to regularly review postage rates and consider alternative options for mailing, such as using Stamps.com.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pkd09
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
heather223
  • Kathytnt
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
Replies