• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Possible Recruit Is Shy and Afraid to Talk in Front of People...help!

In summary, her best friend is considering joining the PC business, but is very shy and nervous about speaking in front of people. I told her that anyone can do it if they are willing to practice and learn. Her party will be the same as everyone else's.
jwpamp
How can I help a recruit possibility with the whole "I could never talk in front of strangers" thing? I am totally the opposite, so I am trying to be empathetic, but I am not sure what to say.

She sees how this opportunity would totally help her situation (stay at home mom, hubby is working 2 jobs to keep it that way, needs to make her own schedule because of school, etc). And she is very happy with the amount of income 1 or 2 days a week doing this would bring in....the ONLY objection is the shy thing.

HELP!

My second recruit was this way, very, very shy. I told her that she could come to one of my shows and help me out to see how it's done on the consultant side. I let her choose her favorite product to talk about in front of everyone...this gave her the confidence because I was there and the time to test the waters. She saw that it wasn't that hard to talk about something that she really loved, she found it was more like talking to a stranger about the great outfit she was wearing.

She decided to sign and I went to her first 2 shows, the guests knew that she was in training and if she had any problems I was right there. She did really well and it helped her to overcome her shyness, which was also a secondary reason for doing PC. I also let this recruit know that we all have our "people issues" for some it is public speaking and for others it's phone phobia, but we all have learned to deal with it and still be successful!

Good luck and hopefully she will see the light.

I have had that same proplem with one of my consultants. I would reassure her that you are there to give her all of the information and help that she will need. Whene she feels comfortable with the products, the job is less about speaking infront of people and more about sharing things that you really like. Also remind her that her first few shows are going to be infront of friends and family.

Thank you so much! I am still a newbie (4th month), and you are all so very helpful! I have one recruit already that is much like me, so she was easier to coach, but this has been a real learning experience for me.

It is my niece we are talking about, who is shy. My daughter (who is 23) is going to sign in May, she is kind of like that, too. I am going to talk to them about doing it together...a little group thing....I think that will help also.

I know first hand what she is hesitant about!
I had serious concerns about public speaking and presenting my demos before signed! I almost didn't because of my fear! But like her, I knew it would be good for me and so I took the plunge and just did it! I got alot of advice on Practicing on the recipes to get comfortable with the product and watching the kitchen show video many times. I wrote down my outline and still use it to this day to help me remember my way through my shows (5 months later)!

tell her lots of us start out the way she feels and she can do it! It just takes practice and getting use to! Now I enjoy doing shows because I am relaxed and have fun at them! I love the quote "every time I go to work, I end up partying"!

good luck to her!

I honestly think that there are very few people who are completely at ease speaking in front of others. It is something you will always have to face no matter what line of work you are in except for a small handful of jobs where no human contact is EVER needed (like the electric company customer service line! LOL!!).
I would encourage her and let her know that knowledge is power. The more you study up and know the product the less intimdating it is to talk about it. I also HIGHLY encourage my recruits to use cheat sheets....4x6 cards with an outline of the show, the recipe(s) written out and any recruiting or booking lines they may want to use.

HTH
Have a Pampered Day!!

I'm so glad you brought this question up. My best friend said she would think about it but she cannot speak in front of people. It goes back to grammar school when her teacher made her do it and she didnt want to. I told her if I could do it, anyone could. She said nahhh but if she changes her mind, she would.
Her party is this Saturday. Any suggestions on how I can get her up there to help me then remind her on how easy it was? I think her other concern is she just moved and doesnt know where to get her parties from.

Thanks!

I would involve her in the show!! So many people are visual people...they have to see to believe! If you can get or have an extra PC apron, have her wear it. Have her demo some products if she is up for it!
As for the moving thing......I know quite a few people on here have moved their business, me included! All it took for me was one person, my neighbor, telling EVERYONE I am THE PC lady! Encourage her to just ask.....her family, friends and neighbors. The worst that they can say is no and no stands for next opportunity. You just have to A*S*K* to G*E*T*!!
Good Luck!!

Have a Pampered Day!!

TinasKitchen said:
I'm so glad you brought this question up. My best friend said she would think about it but she cannot speak in front of people. It goes back to grammar school when her teacher made her do it and she didnt want to. I told her if I could do it, anyone could. She said nahhh but if she changes her mind, she would.
Her party is this Saturday. Any suggestions on how I can get her up there to help me then remind her on how easy it was? I think her other concern is she just moved and doesnt know where to get her parties from.

Thanks!

I would say something like this...

"Hey, I know we have been talking about you signing up with TPC and I thought it would be nice to give you a little test drive so that you know you could do it! What is your favorite product? Well, you know I love that one too, how would you like to talk about that product at the show? I know that you can absolutely do this, because if I can anyone can right?"

Let her pick the product and talk about it, if it's her favorite then she should know it in and out and it's really no different than being a guest at a show and raving about the Food Chopper for instance.

I have moved my business as well and it's hard but it can be done, look at all of us on here! She should start with her neighbors and go from there, church, kids play groups...there are tons of places to start. You could even do this at the show...

"So, my friend and our host has been thinking about becoming a consultant. By raise of hands, how many of you would like to host a show? How many of you would host a show for (insert name here) to help her start her business?"

You will usually see quite a few more people raise their hands because they want to help out their friend. She could get her 4 qualifing shows right there, you sign her up and she gets the bookings!

I talked with her last night and we were agreeing how easy it is to sell when you love the product.. and I joked w/ her about it. I said well when you love a product you'll see how you'll be able to talk about it.. she agreed.. but I dont think she's there yet. I dont want to harp on her b/c she is my best friend in every sense of the words so I'll leave it at the You can Do it! part and see what happens.

Time will help!!Personally I would invite her to join and to start off with only catalog shows. In time she will see that kitchen shows are more fun, bigger money makers and not so hard.
I don't understand that fear either, but I know my husband is deathly afraid to speak in front of crowds, he has such a hard time reading a chapter from the bible every couple of months at church when it's his turn.
Slowly he is conquering his fear!! I am so proud of him!! Some people will conquer their fears, others don't want to or feel they cannot!

It's a great idea to invite her to one of your shows, to show her how fun, easy, and laid back the parties are!! Eventually she might muster up enough courage to invite close friends, and family to her own home to have a show for herself. Maybe starting off with people you know really well will help. I am not a shy person but I did that my first couple of shows, to master the products and get the recipes right! Practice makes perfect....or at least good enough to mess up and not letting anyone know!!! No one will ever notice!! It's great!!!
Good luck, I hope it works out!!
Debbie

1. How can I help a shy recruit feel more comfortable speaking in front of others?

First, it's important to create a safe and supportive environment for the recruit. Encourage them to share their thoughts and opinions without fear of judgement. Also, provide opportunities for them to practice speaking in front of smaller groups before gradually increasing the audience size.

2. Is there a specific approach I should take when working with a shy recruit?

Yes, it's important to be patient and understanding. Avoid putting pressure on the recruit to speak if they are not ready. Instead, gently encourage and offer support when needed. Building a strong rapport and trust with the recruit can also help them feel more comfortable speaking in front of others.

3. Are there any exercises or activities that can help a shy recruit overcome their fear of speaking in front of people?

Yes, there are many exercises and activities that can help a shy recruit become more confident in speaking. Role-playing, group discussions, and public speaking exercises are all great ways to practice and build confidence. It's important to choose activities that align with the recruit's interests and strengths.

4. Should I involve other team members in helping the shy recruit feel more comfortable speaking in front of others?

Yes, involving other team members can be beneficial in creating a supportive environment for the shy recruit. Encourage team members to be patient, understanding, and inclusive. Additionally, assigning a mentor or buddy for the shy recruit to work with can provide extra support and guidance.

5. What if the shy recruit is still struggling to speak in front of others even after trying different approaches?

If the shy recruit is still struggling, it's important to communicate with them and understand their specific concerns and challenges. They may benefit from additional support or resources, such as speaking classes or therapy. It's also important to continue encouraging and supporting the recruit, and celebrate any progress they make in speaking in front of others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lauriedip
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • PampChefDeb
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
chefliz
  • ShelbyMichalek