• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ridiculous Portion Labels: Why 10.5 Carrots Does Not Equal One Serving

F
friday
Ok so I am working on this fat business. Expanding to the weight I was the day before I gave birth was disturbing for me. ANYHOW- about portions.
I was looking at what a PORTION of carrot sticks was and I got confused. Maybe you can help? Apparently ONE portion of carrot sticks is 10.5 carrots. Ten and a half. WHAT??? Who eats HALF a carrot stick? Is that because you get so SICK of them you can only manage to swallow half after you hit 10?? What IS that? Has anyone else seen any ridiculous portion labels? Please share.

I hate counting things out for portions. I like the portion control guides that use things like 'a portion is the size of your fist' or ' a deck of cards'... that's easier for me though I think sometimes my 'deck of cards' is larger than others. LOL...

Well they do make those jumbo decks for kids. They also make those mini novelty decks. I suppose the deck is relative to what you are eating.... and who cooked it. I would want a mini deck if my dh cooked the steak....

Sounds a little crazy. I always remember the fist- I use that for protein. One thing that really helped me with weight loss was eating 5 times a day. I could eat smaller portions because i knew I'd only have to wait a couple hours til i could eat again. I hate being hungry. I once read that a big difference between average weight and over weight people is that average weight ones don't mind being hungry while over weight ones really do.

You think that's bad, check out the portion sizes on the cereal box! Who eat's 1/2. 2/3 or even 3/4 cup of cereal?

I now eat the Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, the portion size is 1 cup and it is a really hard cereal that takes a while to chew so it seems more filling than most cereals. Plus it has a ton of protein.

I've had that cereal too. I never put milk on my cereal but with that cereal I felt i had to. I think you burn all the calories you consume by just chewing it. Although I did worry about damaging the enamel on my teeth:)

I agree- Kashi is a very calorie burning chew. I eat Red River. Very high fiber. All whole grains, and its not bad AT ALL. I like it. So does the baby.

I never heard of Red River. Do they have it here in the US?

lkprescott said:
I hate counting things out for portions. I like the portion control guides that use things like 'a portion is the size of your fist' or ' a deck of cards'... that's easier for me though I think sometimes my 'deck of cards' is larger than others. LOL...

Or you get dh hand to make the fist.lol

friday said:
I agree- Kashi is a very calorie burning chew. I eat Red River. Very high fiber. All whole grains, and its not bad AT ALL. I like it. So does the baby.

Christ Follower said:
I never heard of Red River. Do they have it here in the US?

I've never heard of Red River either. I will have to really look for it.

Just read the fine print re: Best Buy cardsThey're not shipping til mid April! :cry::cry::cry:

I want to go buy my Ipod!!!!!

Stink! I was going to buy my dh something for his birthday--St. Patricks day!

WHAT???? :bugeye:I wanted to buy an ipod before we went to London!!! They should be sending these as our consultants qualify!!:cry::cry::cry:

Hmmm... wonder why? Oh well... I'm waiting to get myself a GPS. I can find the host's house without a problem using Mapquest, but for some reason, I always seem to get in trouble on the way home!!!! I've gotten so screwed up in neighborhoods that I can't get out of out and more often then not, end up getting out of the neighborhood a different way than I went in! So need a GPS!!!!

colleen,
That is so true. I used to do that all the time. I would get so frustrated when I got lost. I got a GPS in Nov. Now I just ask, what color is your house.

My mom got me a GPS last year for my birthday -- best gift I've gotten!!!

I sometimes get lost going home, too. More so in the summertime cuz it's light when you get there and dark when you leave. :)

I have EXACTLY the same problem Colleen! Especially in Durham. LOL I can never find my way out of that town!:eek:

I'd recommend anyone doing 8-10 shows a month should invest in a GPS and a laptop for taking to shows. You start earning the money back in reduced stress right away.

No GPS here....really don't need one in Wyoming! I know my entire town and when I travel to other towns they are even smaller than the one I live in. One of my consultants has a GPS and she tells me when she has hosts that live in rural areas, the GPS doesn't recognize many of the rural addresses.

What a good excuse to save $$$ for once!;)

fruit76loop said:
No GPS here....really don't need one in Wyoming! I know my entire town and when I travel to other towns they are even smaller than the one I live in. One of my consultants has a GPS and she tells me when she has hosts that live in rural areas, the GPS doesn't recognize many of the rural addresses.

What a good excuse to save $$$ for once!;)

Due to all of the new construction all over Middle Tennessee I have noticed that a lot (more than half) of my hosts addresses don't show up on Mapquest. I am assuming it would be the same with a GPS. We have a hand held GPS, but use it mostly for geocaching. If you haven't heard of it this is another great reason to get a GPS. Go to www.geocaching.com. It's a fun family outing.

1. Why is one portion of carrot sticks equal to 10.5 carrots?

This is due to the standard serving size set by the FDA, which is based on the recommended daily intake of nutrients. In this case, the serving size for carrots is about 3 ounces, which is equivalent to 10.5 baby carrots.

2. Who eats half a carrot stick?

It is unlikely that someone would intentionally eat half a carrot stick as a portion. However, the label is meant to provide a consistent and measurable serving size for nutritional purposes.

3. Is the serving size based on weight or number of carrots?

The serving size for most foods is based on weight, but for smaller items like baby carrots, it may be based on the number of pieces. In this case, 10.5 baby carrots equal the standard weight of 3 ounces.

4. Are there other foods with similarly confusing portion labels?

Yes, there are many other foods with portion labels that may seem confusing or disproportionate. For instance, a serving of ice cream is usually only half a cup, while a serving of chips can be as small as 15 chips.

5. How can we make sure we are consuming the correct serving size?

Reading nutrition labels and measuring out portions using measuring cups or a food scale can help ensure that you are consuming the recommended serving size. It is also important to pay attention to the number of servings per container listed on the label.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefshawna
Replies
Views
NooraK
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns