• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Poll: The Impact of Wearing Gloves on Cooking Show Guests' Reactions

I can't wear gloves any more.I wash my hands with soap and water before and after every demo, and of course before serving the food. I don't wear gloves either. I've never had a guest ask me to. I'm just not interested in getting sick. Then again, I don't have to worry about hygiene.I use a rubbery latex glove on the pork chops if I need to cut through them during prep. I wear gloves for medical demos. If I

Do you wear gloves during cooking shows?

• Total voters
bsaxman
Silver Member
Do you wear plastic gloves when doing Cooking Shows?
If so, what kind of response do you get from the guests?

i do bring my own gloves for cleanup though - don't want dishpan hands :)

I don't wear gloves, but I make it a point to wash my hands in front of the guests. In fact with interactive demos, now I send the guests to wash their hands.

No gloves, but I am a THOROUGH hand-washer and wash numerous time throughout my show. If I touch anything away from the food, I walk back and wash my hands so my guests see the care I give to their food.Having to wear gloves for all medical calls, I REALLY hate to wear them for food prep.If I did have a cut on my hand though, I would wear them - haven't had that happen yet.

I also wash my hands in front of my guests and am planning on buying the Lemon & Rosemary soap for guests to wash up for the interactive shows.

I do wear gloves, thats how my director trains. I don't mind, i am used to them now and have had an overwhelming postitive response from guests.

I usually wear gloves..just keep them in my crate so I don't forget them...I haven't gotten a response from them, but I do feel better knowing that I have them in case someone feels funny about it.

I don't wear gloves. My hands are really small and I have a hard time finding ones that are comfortable for me. And if I have a cut, I put a fresh, waterproof bandage on it in front of the host before I do any prep work.

I wear them when I am working with chicken, or any other kind of meat, seafood, etc....and I also wear them when I am working with something messy. Oh - and the other night, while slicing a lemon, I wished I'd had them on - I discovered a cut I didn't know I had!:eek:

At my interactive shows, I have everyone wash their hands, and give them the option of wearing gloves also - in case they don't want their hands to smell like onion, etc.....

Oh, I forgot to add, I have to watch so closely that I don't get latex food prep gloves and often they don't have them in the stores. It is easier to just wash.

I wear gloves all day long as a nurse practitoner. Don't wear them at show, just wash my hands several times in front of guests. I have them wash their hands too before they help me. Of course many of my customers are nurses or in the medical proffesion. It doesn't seem to bother anyone that I don't wear gloves.

chefdiana2007 said:
I wear gloves all day long as a nurse practitoner. Don't wear them at show, just wash my hands several times in front of guests. I have them wash their hands too before they help me. Of course many of my customers are nurses or in the medical proffesion. It doesn't seem to bother anyone that I don't wear gloves.

After ALL day, don't you just feel like you want to get them off and keep them off? After long calls, my hands are so dry and irritated from gloves, even nitrile ones.

No gloves but I make it a point not to do certain things with my hands during a demo like touch my face or really any point on my body (so no itching any scratches), no even fussing with my hair... if I do I go back and rewash my hands. I make sure to wash before when folks are assembling and during the demo as needed. I wear one of my towels so it's always at hand and I dry on the way back to the table. If I do a demo where I'm not sure about washing facilities (like some community centers and such) I take my own hand sanitizer and my own soap.

Surface Sanitizers tooNo gloves, but agree with the sanitize and wash in front of the guests and in private when nobody is watching... because you never know when someone is watching... I also take Clorox surface sanitizer that is food safe and sanitize my cutting board in front of guests... I had one lady who was a germ freak (like me) who just ranted and raved the rest of the show-- it was almost emberassing... "I have never seen such a respect for germs..." Must be all those years with health inspections...

Sometimes I do, if I have any big cuts or when my cuticles get messed up. I also have really sensitive skin on my hands only!.... so the more I wash my hands the more I get red sore hands and I rash up which makes me look like I have cuts all over my knuckles (sp?) During times when I'm having problems with this and it's hurting me the most, I wear gloves, because I try to think of how they feel and I wouldn't want someone touching my food like that! I do when I know I am working with tomatoes or lemons, anything acidic because that hurts my hands too!
Most of the time I don't have this problem, and I don't wear gloves, but there are times like in the winter when we are using our heater constantly and the air is really dry, my hands hurt so bad, it's almost all I can think of! I wear gloves for washing dishes during those times too.
I do continue to wash my hands a lot, but I put on lotion, which is another reason why to wear the gloves, because I know you are not suppossed to get lotion in food either, I remember my food handlers test well!

ooo. Yea. Always wear gloves if you have cuts etc... good point Cathy! With interactive formating it is a good idea to tell guests with cuts to wear one too. Food handlers test question... Why aren't consultants required to get a FH card?

I do most of the time, but not all the time. It depends on the situation. It helps with my own peace of mind more than anything!

I don't wear gloves. I did when I had to cut a hot pepper and will if I have to handle raw chicken but otherwise I don't. I make a point to wash my hands first. The last show I did, we started and I forgot to have them wash their hands. I pointed it out but there was only 3 people there and none of them cared.

I haven't worn gloves at any of my shows yet either but I too wash my hands thoroughly throughout the show. I probably would wear gloves though if I had any cuts on my hands.

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
ooo. Yea. Always wear gloves if you have cuts etc... good point Cathy! With interactive formating it is a good idea to tell guests with cuts to wear one too. Food handlers test question... Why aren't consultants required to get a FH card?
You know what Stephanie.....?..... I use to know, but I can't remember!!!! I know there is a reason, and let's just give Ann a chance or Janet to reply, I'm sure one of them will know..... I'm sure there are others out there that know too, I just know these two girls have ooooooodles of info stored in their brains! I remember hearing why and actually telling people why, when I was a director, but for the life of me, I can't remember the details!:eek: :blushing: :rolleyes:

Does it have something to do with the fact that we are not selling the food?

I started weraing gloves because I was washing my hands so often at shows, my hands got very dry and really nasty looking. so now, I just wear glovesa and they look much better (My hands).

I do not wear gloves, but I feel that I should start to. In NY it is a law when you are selling food that you must wear gloves. I am sure that when you are giving food away in a large quantity that it would be a good idea.

I too ALWAYS start my demo with washing my hands using our soap and kitchen towels. I also wash my hands before I set up my demo too.

Just a note...PLEASE read up on proper glove use when handling food. Just because someone is wearing gloves, does not mean guests are protected from food borne illness. They must be changed frequently. I can dig up some infor if anyone is interested. One of many boring services I provide!!!:D

These are the gloves that I know are available for foodservice: latex, vinyl and plastic. They come in powdered or non-powdered. Also they come in 3 different sizes...S, M & L. I purchase several cases each year for my staff.

baychef said:
Just a note...PLEASE read up on proper glove use when handling food. Just because someone is wearing gloves, does not mean guests are protected from food borne illness. They must be changed frequently. I can dig up some infor if anyone is interested. One of many boring services I provide!!!:D
So true! If you're wearing gloves and handle raw chicken (or wipe your nose), you need to change them! So many people think that because you have gloves on, it's OK. Well, your hand is protected, but not whatever you touch with the dirty glove!

I don't wear them cause i allergic to latex so if i get them i have to get these bright purple ones and i feel like i have the plaqued and everyone is staring and scared lol so i just opt not to but be careful washing hands.

I wear them.

I don't wear gloves or wash my hands before touching the food. I figure we are cooking the food at a high enough temperature, it will kill the germs.Sorry...couldn't resist freaking out the germophobics out there :D No, I don't wear gloves. YES, I do wash my hands...in front of the host and then again in front of the guests :)

I voted "yes" but I really only wear them sometimes - if I have to touch raw chicken or raw pork tenderloin. I also put them on the other night to spread the chicken and cheese over the tortilla chips for the Jerk Chicken Nachos. Much easier to sprinkle it around with my fingers than using a spoon or Mix N Scraper.

GeorgiaPeach said:
I don't wear gloves or wash my hands before touching the food. I figure we are cooking the food at a high enough temperature, it will kill the germs.Sorry...couldn't resist freaking out the germophobics out there :D No, I don't wear gloves. YES, I do wash my hands...in front of the host and then again in front of the guests :)
Very cute!

I work in a hospital laboratory and wear gloves at work. I do not wear at shows but also make a point of washing my hands several times. I really feel people not used to wearing gloves have a false sense of security and really show be frequently changing their gloves.
Cathy

I have long nails. I always wash and then put on gloves. I have a food handler's license---would never demo food without gloves. NEVER.

I have latex-free gloves but often forget them ... or take them off because otherwise I'm trying to wash my gloved hands!

thanks for the response. i think i will try it with the gloves and see how it feels, and what kind of response I get. Nice to know I'm not alone out there with the majority not wearing gloves during demos! Thanks, B

I don't use gloves unless I am cutting a hot pepper or something. Otherwise I just make sure to wash my hands well. the few times I have tried to use gloves, the hostess and guests all were like...don't bother...so long as you wash your hands it is fine with us!

other than washing my hands several times during the recipe I also keep a bottle of purell in my TTA, so when there is momoent when I may be talking or listening i'll rub some on.

I am by no means a germ-a-phobe, but I have noticed when observing other shows the consultant passing the tools around the room (which is great) but then she's used them in the demo after they've been through 10-20 hands. So if i am noticing it I think someone else might be too, just something to keep in mind. :)

reba515 said:
other than washing my hands several times during the recipe I also keep a bottle of purell in my TTA, so when there is momoent when I may be talking or listening i'll rub some on.

I am by no means a germ-a-phobe, but I have noticed when observing other shows the consultant passing the tools around the room (which is great) but then she's used them in the demo after they've been through 10-20 hands. So if i am noticing it I think someone else might be too, just something to keep in mind. :)

EEWWWW.....I pass tools around but not the ones I use. :eek: For example: I'll show the scrapers...pass one while I use another. Or if someone mentions a tool I'm not going to use, I'll stop and say something about it then pass it around.

No gloves unless I'm handling jalapeno peppers. I wash my hands before the demo and encourage my guests to wash theirs, too, since I do interactive shows now.

I am also a nurse, but I wear the gloves at my shows most of the time. I take my Suds Pump & a roll of paper towels with me so guests can wash their hands. I also offer them the gloves.

I get mine from the supply order form. I think they are vinyl. I am latex sensitive. If someone knows where to get them cheaper, please let me know.

I also wear them at home when I handle meats. I hate mixing meatloaf without them.

I always wash my hands, of course, and tried the gloves, but they just look like condoms to me and the thought of eating food touched by condoms, well, you get the idea...:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

dianevill said:
I always wash my hands, of course, and tried the gloves, but they just look like condoms to me and the thought of eating food touched by condoms, well, you get the idea...:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

ROFLMAO!!!!

dianevill said:
You bring up a valid point... we had ones that where just for cut fingers at the resort that looked like mini... anyway they were called finger cots. I always cringed seeing them. Once a gal lost one in a vat of potato salad... we had to chuck the whole thing, not only because of the germs, but also because it would have been all over the news about a elf condom in the potato salad. Weird wild stuff...

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
You bring up a valid point... we had ones that where just for cut fingers at the resort that looked like mini... anyway they were called finger cots. I always cringed seeing them. Once a gal lost one in a vat of potato salad... we had to chuck the whole thing, not only because of the germs, but also because it would have been all over the news about a elf condom in the potato salad. Weird wild stuff...

Were they blue? When I used to wait tables, the restaraunt I worked at had blue finger cots...the staff just called them smurf condoms. :D

Oh how quickly this post has turned :D ROFL

Do you have the guests that are helping put gloves on if they are picking up food with their hands. I had my first show yesterday and I had them put them on because that is what I was taught and it seemed ok. Just curious.

sherid said:
Do you have the guests that are helping put gloves on if they are picking up food with their hands. I had my first show yesterday and I had them put them on because that is what I was taught and it seemed ok. Just curious.

I have gloves available, and I have everyone wash their hands, and offer gloves if they would like them.

I don't wear gloves & don't even carry any. I figure that unless the guests wear them at home when preparing dinner (which I don't) what is the point. They are all friends & are planning to eat whatever the host made (w/o gloves on). We all wash our hands before the show. I also wash if I get sticky or touch my face, hair, etc. I also have hand sanitizer if we end up not in the kitchen near the sink.

1. Do you always wear gloves during cooking shows?

Yes, as a representative of Pampered Chef, we always wear gloves during cooking shows for food safety and hygiene purposes.

2. What type of gloves do you wear during cooking shows?

We wear disposable plastic gloves during cooking shows. These gloves are food safe and help prevent cross-contamination.

3. Do guests have a positive or negative reaction when you wear gloves during cooking shows?

The majority of our guests have a positive reaction to us wearing gloves during cooking shows. They appreciate the extra level of cleanliness and professionalism it adds to the demonstration.

4. Are there any guests who have a negative reaction to you wearing gloves?

Occasionally, there are guests who may have a negative reaction to us wearing gloves. However, we always explain the importance of food safety and hygiene and most guests understand and appreciate our efforts to keep them safe.

5. Is it mandatory for Pampered Chef representatives to wear gloves during cooking shows?

Yes, it is mandatory for all Pampered Chef representatives to wear gloves during cooking shows. This is to ensure the safety and well-being of our guests and to maintain the high standards of our company.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ktmoms
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
  • dldunphy
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
PamperedchefDaly
  • smilesarepriceless