• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Plugged Bathroom Sink .... Yuck!

well, you wouldn't believe it. A lot of it has to do with people not flushing - or not flushing properly. One resident was using the sink like a water fountain and it was clogging up the pipes.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Any plumbers out there?

My bathroom sink is plugged solid. Earlier this week, I was able to plunge it down. Now when I plunge, all I get is black stuff coughing up from the hole in the back of the sink.

I went to Ace, the place of the (not so) helpful hardware folks. Two people insisted I get the "ten minute drain cleaner" and insisted that was better than Draino. So I got it home. Well, first I realized I had to extract all the water from the sink. That should have told me something right there.

It was 35 minutes until the drain cleaner made it most of the way down the drain. I tried to flush it down ... and there we had it ... another back-up.

My roomate called me 5 hours later to tell me there was still water in the sink.

A plumber is SO not in my budget. Any suggestions?

take the stopper out run a wire hanger down it, it will take several tries but you can remove a lot of gunk.

Hmmm ... I think I've tried a snake in there before ... the problem is that the turns are so tight down there ... and the pipes are so old, I am afraid of damaging something.

Are you plugging up the hole in the back of the sink while plunging? If you're not - you won't get enough pressure to push the clog through. (I know from experience of having to unclog my drain frequently) - then when the clog is through - pour some baking soda and vinegar down the sink - it will fizz up and then I take boiling water and pour it down the sink. Works like a charm - not hard on the pipes - I have old pipes and my plumber says no drano!

I've tried to plug it ... the hole is small but a wash cloth fits in there, sort of.I am going to clean out the sink tonight and try the drain cleaner again ... flush it down with BOILING water and if that doesn't work, let the baking soda and vinegar sit all night. Hmmmm ... will red wine vinegar work? I'm not sure if I have the white vinegar ...

Di_Can_Cook said:
I've tried to plug it ... the hole is small but a wash cloth fits in there, sort of.

I am going to clean out the sink tonight and try the drain cleaner again ... flush it down with BOILING water and if that doesn't work, let the baking soda and vinegar sit all night. Hmmmm ... will red wine vinegar work? I'm not sure if I have the white vinegar ...

LOL - I don't know....and I'm sorry you are having drain problems, but all I could think when I read your question was "hey, gourmet drain cleaner!" :D

LOL! Naw, just trying to save myself a late-night trip to Big Bird ...

I use cider vinegar it seems stronger to me with baking soda good luck

Hmmmm ... I have a whole 2 tablespoons of that ....

Once you get it cleared, you can help keep it that way by pouring a couple quarts of boiling water down it once a week. DH and I do that in our drains. We've got an older house and the drains, especially the bathtub, get slow - not completely clogged but definitely slower. The boiling water helps to soften and break up the start of any buildup in the drain before it becomes a big issue.

Thanks for the tips.. we have this same problem in our bathroom. Last week it was so bad that it was taking HOURS for water to go down. I am going to try the boiling water vinegar thing.

It is my MIL house and she prefers to buy the expensive drain cleaner. It smells and we can't use the sink for hours. I have little kids and just do not like the way it smells or the smells that come out of the sink.

Well, since last night, I have ...

* Poured boiling water down the drain ... twice.

* Poured baking soda and vinegar down there.

* Used the drain cleaner ... twice.

I poured some down there around 10 a.m. and have not tried any water down there since.

The pipes actually are plastic ... I think the clog is much lower down. I tried to use a coat hanger as a snake and couldn't get it around the "s-bend."

I might take them apart and try to find the clog but honestly .. I don't feel like it. I have a nasty cold and have a pot of soup on the stove ...

Is it possible there is something large clogging it?

My DH is the Director of Maintenance for an Assisted Living Center - and I know that the majority of their clogs are from toothpaste or mouthwash lids, shampoo lids...and even in the toilet - hairbrushes, hairspray lids, and yes, even a set of false teeth......and drain cleaner, boiling water, and vinegar do nothing for those things - the only thing you can do is tear it apart!

This may sound a little gross- but use a toilet plunger- Go buy a new small toilet plunger, and plunge the sink, making sure that you have plugged up with other small sink home with a washcloth. It may need forceful suction, to get it up- I have had to do this, and it works wonders.

I've tried plunging ... didn't work.

I took the "ten minute drain cleaner" back ... the guy at Ace said that when it is that plugged, all you can do is take it apart. He said that with a bathroom sink, we are probably looking at hair and soap. (I use liquid soap, not the bar kind, but still ....)

I have had Draino Max sitting in there for 3 hours ...I am going to try the boiling water chaser before I go to bed. Then tomorrow, tear it apart before I go to work. What joy is mine ...

wear rubber gloves and be careful so if any drain cleaner is stuff on the sludge you aren't hurt

Use duct tape to cover the hole on the sink when you are plunging...

Any improvement yet Di?

WELL ICK!

First of all .... got the pipe apart.

The bad news is ... the clog was NOT in the plastic part of the pipe, which I was able to take out and will wash out with a hose in the light of day. It is in the METAL pipe that comes out of the bottom of the cupboard.

The good news is ... I was able to get to the clog. I did the coat hanger thing and got it down about two feet ... not the length of the hanger but about 2/3 of it. I pulled up HAIR ... lots and lots and lots and lots of BLACK, ICKY hair! The funny part ... this is my bathroom sink ... not my bathtub, so of course I do not wash my hair in this sink ... my hair is short and my roomate's hair is even shorter ... and I'm pretty sure that drain has been plugged and cleared since my SIL moved out.

I am going to call it a night ... clean the pipe in the light of day ... and see if I can locate a REAL pipe snake instead of the hanger ... or in lieu of that .... put the hanger back down there at least 10 times ... or until I can pull it up at least 5 times in a row and NOT get any hair out of there. I am NOT doing this again.

Also toying with the idea of calling the Draino Max hotline to see if they think I ought to pour the Draino directly down that pipe to clear the drain.

We had a family friend who ran a septic and plumbing business, and my brother used to call him whenever there was a problem like this ... he would run his electric snake down my drain. Sadly, he died last year from a sudden stroke. Of course, we all miss him but it's times like this that I REALLY miss him!

What causes a bathroom sink to become clogged?

There are several common causes of a clogged bathroom sink. Hair and soap scum are the most common culprits, but other items like toothpaste caps, jewelry, and small toys can also contribute to a clog.

How can I prevent my bathroom sink from getting clogged?

To prevent clogs in your bathroom sink, make sure to regularly clean out the drain and use a drain cover to catch any hair or debris. Avoid putting items like grease, coffee grounds, or food scraps down the sink.

What is the best way to unclog a bathroom sink?

The most effective method for unclogging a bathroom sink is to use a plunger or a drain snake. You can also try pouring boiling water down the drain or using a mixture of baking soda and vinegar to dissolve any buildup.

Can I use chemical drain cleaners to unclog my bathroom sink?

We do not recommend using chemical drain cleaners as they can be harmful to your pipes and the environment. They can also cause damage to your sink and may not effectively remove the clog.

How often should I clean out my bathroom sink drain?

It is recommended to clean out your bathroom sink drain at least once a month to prevent buildup and clogs. However, if you notice slow draining or foul odors, it may be necessary to clean it more frequently.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
amy07
  • GeorgiaPeach
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
  • gilliandanielle