• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Creating Crisp Plate Art with HWC Stencils

In summary, the conversation is about using a HWC stencil for plate art, specifically making a ribbon design with corn syrup and colored sugar. Some suggestions for improving the process include using double sided tape to hold down the stencil, using a sponge for more control, and making homemade colored sugar. There are also suggestions for using a small paintbrush for more precise detailing.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
I tried using the HWC stencil for plate art today (you know, where you put corn syrup on the plate and sprinkle with colored sugar)....

How do you get the corn syrup onto the stencil and to make the outline of the stencil look nice? I used the pastry brush dipped into the syrup and kind of "painted" the corn syrup on. I had a problem with the syrup getting under the stencil (even though I held it down with my fingers while painting) and making the ribbon look messy. Where there is supposed to be a break in the ribbon, it didn't show up since the corn syrup went too far. I tried to then take a toothpick and scrape off the sugar to make the break in the ribbon.

I used the larger of the two stencils. I tried it on the small square SA as well as the med. square SA. The small square was a huge pain, since the stencil can't lay flat...the med. square looked better since the stencil fit flat accross the bottom of that plate.

It looks OK, but I need to know if anyone has ideas so that it looks very crisp and clean around the edges.

Thanks!
Kelly

ok, not sure if you are using this for just decorating, or for an actual serving plate. (not sure if this would harm the food) One thought came to mind. What about using double sided tape, and going around the ribbon (close to the inside edges), making sure that the stencil is REALLY held down on the plate good, and then going lightly around the edges with the syrup.. As far as the middle part, not sure... I will try it when I get my stencils.. That is my thought, this late at night at least. Maybe it will work.. who knows

Last edited:
How do you make the ribbon design on top of a cake, cupcake, etc.? I have never worked with cake stencils so I want to make sure I know what I am doing before my HWC shows?

Also, where do you get the colored sugar? Do you buy it already pink somewhere? Or do you actually make regular sugar pink yourself?

If your doing it on a serving plate would it work to use a sponge and sponge it on. Maybe you would have a little bit more control on how much is getting on there so it doesn't smear under the stencil. I've never done it so that is my only idea.

Tina~

The sponge thing sounds like a good idea...I will have to try that.

Amy~

I have made my own colored sugar. Just buy the larger granulated sugar and add a few drops of food coloring. Shake to combine, and add food coloring till you get the shade you want! It keeps forever! I made a bunch up about 2 years ago and just keep them in glass jars. WAY cheaper than buying colored sugar!!

Another thought- I may try to use a small paintbrush and brush it on around the edges and fill in like others have suggested. I think that our pastry brush is just way too big to control, especially with the fine detailing that is on these stencils.

What is the purpose of using HWC stencils for creating crisp plate art?

The HWC stencils are specifically designed to help create intricate and detailed designs on plates and other food items. They allow for precise and clean lines, making it easier to create professional-looking plate art.

How do I use the HWC stencils to create crisp plate art?

First, place the stencil on top of the plate and secure it with tape or weights. Then, use a small amount of food-safe spray or powder to lightly dust the stencil. Carefully remove the stencil to reveal the design on the plate. You can then use food coloring or other edible materials to fill in the design as desired.

Are the HWC stencils reusable?

Yes, the HWC stencils are made from durable and food-safe materials, making them reusable for multiple projects. Simply clean them with warm soapy water and let them dry before using them again.

Can I use the HWC stencils on other food items besides plates?

Yes, the HWC stencils can be used on a variety of food items, such as cookies, cakes, and even drinks. However, make sure to only use food-safe materials when decorating edible items.

Do I need any special skills to use the HWC stencils for plate art?

No, the HWC stencils are designed to be user-friendly and can be used by anyone, regardless of their artistic abilities. With a little practice, anyone can create beautiful and crisp plate art using the HWC stencils.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • twinkie10
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • BethCooks4U
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies