• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I avoid temperature issues when using a pizza stone?

Our stones do not have to be pre-heated. Just what Ann said: if the cook time is less than 12-15 minutes, the items have to be cooked a minute or two longer. If you are doing batches of things on the same stone (like cookies), the extra minutes are only required the first time, since on the subsequent rounds the stone will be heated.Can't preheating the stone and then putting something cold on it cause it to crack?Yes it can Symara.People tell me that they don't like stones because they are so much work and extra care. And then I explain that with ours there is no extra stuff to do. Food and stone should be about the same temperature.
Jillmami
So a customer has used her new stone twice and has had problems with food not cooking completely. Her biscuits looked perfect but were not cooked all the way through. Just cook a tad longer? Put the food/stone in the oven while it's heating up as opposed to letting the oven preheat and then putting the stone/food in? I keep seeing both ways to use the stone.

Thanks!!
Jill

I put mine in & then turn on the stove, but it's a personal preference. In my mind, if the stone heats with the oven it's less likely to break. I envision it being at a higher risk of breaking if I put it in an already heated stone. But there are lots of people who preheat first with no issues. I always add the preheat time to the cooking time & then check to see if it's done or if it needs a couple of more minutes. I haven't really noticed stuff needing extra time.

I put my stones into a preheated oven, just like I would do for any other pan. But (and it does say this in the use and care), if the total cook time is fairly short, 12-15 minutes or less, then a few minutes will need to be added to allow for the stone heating up.

Cooks Illustrated has said that optimum time to pre-heat a stone is one full hour, although I do find that long a little excessive.

BadGirl said:
Cooks Illustrated has said that optimum time to pre-heat a stone is one full hour, although I do find that long a little excessive.

Our stones do not have to be pre-heated. Just what Ann said: if the cook time is less than 12-15 minutes, the items have to be cooked a minute or two longer. If you are doing batches of things on the same stone (like cookies), the extra minutes are only required the first time, since on the subsequent rounds the stone will be heated.

Can't preheating the stone and then putting something cold on it cause it to crack?

People tell me that they don't like stones because they are so much work and extra care. And then I explain that with ours there is no extra stuff to do. Food and stone should be about the same temperature. The stone should not be preheated. No need to pre-season the stone either. Season it with use.

Other stones on the market have to be soaked before use, need to be pre-seasoned, are not microwave safe, etc etc.

It's all about educating our customers about our product and getting them to understand that ours are easier to use than any other pan (clean up is a breeze, no added oil with cooking, etc).

THANK YOU for the tips/advice!!

I was under the assumption that you just put the food on and bake it! That's what I have done with mine for years and years. I have seen some posts lately about preheating and all and thought that I would double check. Plus, now that I am a consultant, I want to make sure that I have the correct info.

I had always heard what Beth and Ann said. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I'll remind my customer about giving it a few extra minutes for the first batch.

Jill

I always add 2 minutes to the bake time of the first batch if the directions say bake time is 20 minutes or less. We keep our house pretty cold, so if I think of it, I will set my stone on the oven while it's heating up. I've also rinsed it under hot water, but only when I think of it. Many times my stone is dirty on the counter, so I scrape and rinse with hot water before using it, and I like that the stone is a little warmer than fresh out of the cold cupboard. I do not tell my customers to do this because it's not necessary, and when they hear it they won't really remember that I said it's unnecessary. They'll just remember that I do it, and then they will think they have to do it, too.JAE

Also I found that using it on the second to the bottom or the bottom helps with cooking. I use all stones on those racks - picked that up from my pampered chef lady years ago.

1. What temperature should I preheat my pizza stone to?

For best results, we recommend preheating your pizza stone to 450°F. This will ensure that the stone is hot enough to evenly cook the pizza crust without burning it.

2. Why is my pizza crust still soggy after using the pizza stone?

There are a few possible reasons for this. First, make sure that you are preheating your pizza stone for at least 30 minutes before using it. Also, be sure to place the pizza directly on the stone, rather than on a pan or baking sheet. Finally, consider using less toppings or a thinner crust to prevent the pizza from becoming too heavy for the stone to handle.

3. Can I use my pizza stone on the grill?

Yes, our pizza stones are safe to use on the grill. Just be sure to preheat the stone on the grill for about 30 minutes before placing the pizza on it. Also, keep in mind that the cooking time may be shorter on the grill, so keep an eye on your pizza to prevent burning.

4. How do I clean my pizza stone?

In order to clean your pizza stone, simply scrape off any food residue with a plastic scraper or brush. Do not use soap or detergent, as it can absorb into the stone and affect the taste of your next pizza. If needed, you can also use a damp cloth to wipe down the stone, but be sure to thoroughly dry it before using it again.

5. Can I use my pizza stone in the microwave?

No, our pizza stones are not microwave-safe. They are designed to be used in the oven or on the grill. Using a pizza stone in the microwave can cause damage to the stone and potentially start a fire.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JAE
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
JAE
  • beepampered
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • kdangel518