• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Can't I Get a Crispy Crust on My Stoneware Pizza?

In summary, someone had told me that they don't use Stoneware for their pizza and they just put it directly on the rack.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
I love my stoneware, but I cannot get a crispy crust when I cook pizza... from scratch or frozen. Any tips? I don't have any problems with other foods getting crispy when I want them too.

Help!! TIA...

Have you tried pre-baking the crust?

Yep... (and that doesn't help for frozen ones!). It's the bottom of the crust I want crispy! :)

Huh. Maybe do a higher temperature?

ideaSomeone had told me that they don't use Stoneware for their pizza and they just put it directly on the rack.

LOL! That's what I used to do :)! Maybe I'll have to go back to that, I just thought that stoneware was supposed to be great for pizza...

Does anyone have some advice? Anyone?... Anyone? :)

which one do you have?Do you have a 'regular' or convection oven?

I find my Convection doesn't make the crust as crispy.

It's a gas oven - I'd love a convection oven though...

try pre heating the stone to 425 then put the pizza on after the stone comes up to temp

PCJenni said:
try pre heating the stone to 425 then put the pizza on after the stone comes up to temp

I thought putting a cold pizza on a pre-heated stone could cause thermal shock?

it can.

I usually just leave my pizza in for a few extra minutes to crisp it up.

Make sure you are leaving it in for long enough. Anything that requires less than 12-15 minutes may take a little longer to cook.

I find I always need to add extra time to everything I cook on stones in my gas oven.

pizzaI have always put a completely frozen pizza on a Stoneware piece in a preheated oven.

I had a gas stove in the past - things would take a bit longer to cook (but not a lot longer).

for frozen pizza I let it sit on the stone for a at least 5 minures before cutting it. This helps the crust crisp up.

For fresh I find prebaking my crust helps and going light on the sauce and veggies (they create more moisture)

I have also for my fresh crust been known to put down just a bit of cornmeal.

I have used both gass and electrick and not had an issue.

Remember cooking on a cold stone is reccomended to prevent thermal shock. I would never put a Hard frozen pizza (especially a thick crust version) on a piping hot stone. If I need to cook multiple pizzas I take them all out of the freezer at the same time. When one comes out of the oven I slide it on to my large cutting board and let the stone cool a bit. Then the 2nd (mostly defrosted) pizza goes in.

Also I add 2 minutes to cooking time when cooking on a cold stone. Watch your cheese though!

You could also try cooking it on the lowest rack of your oven and see if that helps.

Have you tried putting the stone on the rack in a lower position in the oven? We've found that it depends on the brand of pizza, too. I love the Pampered Chef pizza crust mix.

pizza on stonewear
AnnieBee said:
I love my stoneware, but I cannot get a crispy crust when I cook pizza... from scratch or frozen. Any tips? I don't have any problems with other foods getting crispy when I want them too.

Help!! TIA...
What i do to get a crisper crust i spray the stone with pam before i put the crust on then i precook the crust with a little crushed garlic and oil mixture as well with a little rosemary and herb spice.

this seems to work well , what recipe are you doing as well? if you use the pc recipes like the jerk chicken or the 3 cheese veg. it comes out great!
l monninger

I do the lower rack in the oven for frozen as well. I also try to defrost the pizza about 30 minutes if I have that time luxury. For home made fresh crust that is not frozen, there isn't any reason why you wouldn't be able to put it on a pre-heated stone. That is what the stone ovens in the pizzarias do as well as Artisan bread loaves. Right onto a hot stone. Defrosted frozen or fresh on a hot stone. The cornmeal tip is true too! Just a light dusting and it adds a nutty/crunch I also lightly oil first with the PC garlic or basil oil and add a little sprinkle of salt with the cornmeal. It is possible to add pizza to your Power cooking list of good ideas... especially if you make the crust ahead and just have that in the freezer for your choice of toppings as fits your mood later. I have a frozen pizza crust recipe that is oven rise just like Dejourno. It is yummy. We could do a whole thread on good pizza recipes for the freezer!

We could do a whole thread on good pizza recipes for the freezer![/QUOTE]

Could you start that thread??? Puleeze? TY! :)

I think I need to try the lower shelf thing and letting the pizza defrost a bit too! I've left pizza in a bit longer, but there's only so long you can go until it starts to brown too much :) I've tried brushing the stone with a little oil, and we always use cornmeal when we do homemade...

Next time we do pizza, I'll up-date you! Last night's came out soft again...

We preheat the stone, have never had a problem. The temp diff between a frozen pizza and the hot stone is pretty small, I wouldn't put a frozen chunk of meat on.Robin

I always put my stone in the oven while it is pre heating, and I let the pizza sit out on the counter. Then when the oven is done preheating I put my pizza on the hot stone. Always get a crispy crust that way.

AnnieBee said:
I think I need to try the lower shelf thing and letting the pizza defrost a bit too! I've left pizza in a bit longer, but there's only so long you can go until it starts to brown too much :) I've tried brushing the stone with a little oil, and we always use cornmeal when we do homemade... Next time we do pizza, I'll up-date you! Last night's came out soft again...
I'd like an update on how it went.
We always cook pizza on the lowest rack possible in our stoneware without issue, but I've only ever done homemade pizzas so I also cooked the crust halfway before I add toppings too. I have had a stone for years but am today years old when I realized I could cook a frozen pizza on it.
On the lowest rack, the toppings cook slower and the bottom cooks faster so you can add a couple minutes without hurting the topping.

1. How do I properly season my pizza stone before using it?

To season your pizza stone, first wash it with warm water and mild soap. Rinse and dry it thoroughly. Then, lightly rub the surface of the stone with a thin layer of vegetable oil. Place it in a cold oven and heat it to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour. Let it cool completely before using it for the first time.

2. Can I put frozen pizza on my stoneware?

Yes, you can put frozen pizza on your stoneware, but make sure to place it in a cold oven and let it preheat with the oven. This will prevent the stoneware from cracking due to sudden temperature changes.

3. How do I prevent my pizza from sticking to the stoneware?

To prevent sticking, lightly dust the stoneware with cornmeal or flour before placing the pizza on it. You can also preheat the stoneware in the oven for 10-15 minutes before placing the pizza on it.

4. How do I clean my pizza stone?

To clean your pizza stone, let it cool completely before washing it with warm water and mild soap. Do not use any harsh chemicals or scrubbers, as they can damage the stone. If there are any stubborn stains, you can use a mixture of baking soda and water to gently scrub them away.

5. Can I use my pizza stone on the grill?

Yes, you can use your pizza stone on the grill. Make sure to preheat the stone on the grill for about 10-15 minutes before placing the pizza on it. You may also need to adjust the cooking time and temperature depending on your grill's heat source and settings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jillmami
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • linojackie
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
lauradahl
  • DebbieJ