• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Why are my pizza crusts on the Large Bar Pan turning out dry and crispy?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with crusts being too crispy and dry when making pizzas on a stone. Suggestions are made to try using different rack levels in the oven and to reduce the amount of oil used. One person also suggests using cornmeal instead of oil to prevent sticking. The original poster tries this tip and it works well for them.
Renee Anderson
Gold Member
Hello,
I make pizzas frequently on my Large Bar Pan. When I first got the stone, I lightly oiled the stone to start the seasoning process and to prevent sticking and the crusts turned out beautifully. Now, as the stone has gained a bit of seasoning and has turned a golden brown, my crusts are dry and crispy. I continue to LIGHTLY oil the bar pan prior to rolling out the refridgerated pizza crusts, and don't over cook the crust. Most recipes call for pre-baking the crusts for a period. I do, only to a minimal golden brown, but still my crust is dry and crispy, not soft and tender. This is affecting the quality of my finished product at my shows! Can anyone help with this issue? Thanks so much!

What rack level are you putting it on in the oven? If you want crispy crusts, it's good to put it on the bottom rack. If you want softer crusts, then put it higher up. Don't prebake it as long, too. I have the opposite problem, I like my crust more firm and mine always seem to be too soft. :)

The thing is, I use various ovens but continue to get similar results. Mostly, the racks are at the middle to lower range in the oven. I can certainly move it up to a higher rack and try that. Thanks for the suggestion.
And, no, I for sure don't overbake. The top of the crust is still soft and tender, it's the bottom of the crust, the part touching the stone, that is crispy and tough.

Have you experimented and tried doing one at home without the oil? My first thought is, if the stone is seasoned (sounds like it is), the extra oil might be causing the crispness...

nikked said:
My first thought is, if the stone is seasoned (sounds like it is), the extra oil might be causing the crispness...

I find this response interesting...I was thinking of using MORE oil, not less. Can you explain your reasoning? Please and thank you.

Renee Anderson said:
I find this response interesting...I was thinking of using MORE oil, not less. Can you explain your reasoning? Please and thank you.

Well, you add oil to things to crisp them when baking is all... if you're worried about sticking, maybe using the corn meal trick instead of oil...

Thanks for clarifying, nikked! I understand now where you are coming from. Cornmeal sounds like a great plan. Thanks for sharing that tip!

I had a party tonight and I made the Three Cheese Garden Pizza and I sprinkled some Cornmeal on the Large Bar Pan prior to rolling out the Pillsbury Pizza crust and it worked like a charm! Thanks so much for the tip!

YEAH! I love it when a plan comes together! :) glad it worked for you!

What is the best way to prepare a pizza crust on a large bar pan?

The best way to prepare a pizza crust on a large bar pan is to first preheat your oven to the recommended temperature. Then, lightly grease the bar pan with cooking spray or oil. Next, place the pizza crust on the bar pan and add your desired toppings. Finally, bake the pizza in the oven for the recommended amount of time.

Can I use store-bought pizza dough on a large bar pan?

Yes, you can use store-bought pizza dough on a large bar pan. Just make sure to follow the instructions on the packaging and adjust the baking time accordingly. You may also need to lightly grease the bar pan before placing the dough on it.

How do I prevent the pizza crust from sticking to the bar pan?

To prevent the pizza crust from sticking to the bar pan, make sure to lightly grease the pan with cooking spray or oil before placing the crust on it. You can also sprinkle some cornmeal or flour on the pan to create a non-stick surface.

What is the recommended baking time for a pizza crust on a large bar pan?

The recommended baking time for a pizza crust on a large bar pan will vary depending on the type of crust and toppings used. However, a general rule of thumb is to bake the pizza for 12-15 minutes at 425°F. It is always best to check the crust periodically and adjust the baking time as needed.

Can I use the large bar pan to make a deep dish pizza?

Yes, you can use the large bar pan to make a deep dish pizza. Simply press the pizza dough into the pan, making sure to cover the bottom and sides. Then, add your desired toppings and bake in the oven for the recommended amount of time. The deep dish pizza may need a slightly longer baking time compared to a regular pizza.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lacychef