• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Review: Pineapple Wedger - A Vertical Challenge for Short Users

In summary, the pineapple wedger is harder to use if you are vertically challenged, but the end result is great.
I used my pineapple wedger last night for the first time and was super impressed!! Yes, it does take a little bit of time and you do have to rock it - but how cool it was to see the end results!!! I think this will be a big WOW item!!!

Am I the only one who did not experience joy using this? I bought 2 smallish pineapples at the local fresh market. I gave up on the wedger for pineapple #1 - it didn't fit right and was not cutting off the rind. I am also vertically challenged at 5'2".

When pineapple #2 ripens I will try cutting it in half, so I start with the widest diameter. Maybe that will help. I hope so, as I was really excited about this product.

I finally got a chance to use mine. I love it. Of course, having read all of the comments here I knew to try it on my table. My counter top would have been too high.

I used mine for the first time yesterday, and I love it!!! I love fresh fruits and veggies and I especially love to serve them at get togethers. Anyways I had a pineapple so I gave it a shot and it was so easy. I have friends who love fresh pineapple too but wont even try to cut one up themselves, they are so excited about these. I am starting to get a list together of people who want to order them from me in March. I am so excited. I had decided to stop selling PC the next time I go inactive, but maybe this will keep me going until I can get a few shows lined up. :balloon:

the lid will fit better after running it through the dishwasherused mine again this morning and one of the middle pieces broke off

I used it for the first time last week - way too hard!! It is easier to cut up w/our forged knives! I'd rather sell them anyway!!

I'm going to try it again, got a new pineapple today. I'm hoping it was just hard because of the pineapple I had.

I tried it on cantaloupe this morning! Works great!

I will not be selling this at my shows. Tried it twice and I am pretty strong. Found it to be too much trouble. I will use it once in a while for my own personal use but if I had to pay for it I would not be happy with its performance. I do however, love the garlic peeler and slicer. They worked great, I even sliced romano chesse and semi sweet morsels (separately of course) and they were fantastic!!

Deifinately have to use it on a "low" counter or table to get the leverage, but worked awesome!

I can't wait to try it. I'm really curious because of the different points of view here.

I've used mine on four pineapples. I got it done in the time it would have taken me with a knife on one of them!

I did find it much easier if you get each of the four blades started with a slow rocking motion and be sure that they've cut through before applying even pressure.

I LOVE IT!!

Erin, that's exactly the advice I'll be giving. That, and be sure to use it on a low surface so you're applying pressure from above.

I pushed my blades and it didn't help. My husband had to come help me and even he had a hard time! We both think it may have been the pineapple. If it doesn't get better w/some other ones I try maybe I'll ask for a new one. I know when I got my first kitchen shears I hated them, but my new ones are much better!

I did notice the cover to mine does not stay on the wedger. Does everyone else have trouble keeping their cover on?

pampchefrhondab said:
I pushed my blades and it didn't help. My husband had to come help me and even he had a hard time! We both think it may have been the pineapple. If it doesn't get better w/some other ones I try maybe I'll ask for a new one. I know when I got my first kitchen shears I hated them, but my new ones are much better!

I did notice the cover to mine does not stay on the wedger. Does everyone else have trouble keeping their cover on?

I posted a Tips and suggestions from Test kitchens thread and in it was the issue of the big cover. IT said to put in the dishwasher to shrink it to fit.;) HTH

I'm short and have done 4 pineapples now (today will be my 5th) and have never had a problem with it. I do the rocking motion through the whole cut. It may take a little work to get it started but I've never had that much trouble.I did run my cover through the dishwasher today and it stays on like a charm! I normally don't run the covers through as it just takes room in my dishwasher but it's perfect now. What do they say about people who don't have dishwashers??

wadesgirl said:
I'm short and have done 4 pineapples now (today will be my 5th) and have never had a problem with it. I do the rocking motion through the whole cut. It may take a little work to get it started but I've never had that much trouble.

I did run my cover through the dishwasher today and it stays on like a charm! I normally don't run the covers through as it just takes room in my dishwasher but it's perfect now. What do they say about people who don't have dishwashers??

It didn't have a tip for non dishwasher owners??:confused:

Probably to soak it in a sink of really hot water for a few minutes (which also works for plastic lids (read Tupperware) that don't fit quite right).

chefann said:
Probably to soak it in a sink of really hot water for a few minutes (which also works for plastic lids (read Tupperware) that don't fit quite right).
I thought that was to make them more flexible to stretch to fit. I have heard that tip before for TW lids.

I suppose you could just loan the lid to a friend who has a dishwasher!:p

I'll have to try the dishwasher trick - thanks:)!

I really liekt eh pineapple wedger, my problem is I could not get the pineapple out for the life of me. My Dh had to get it out.

I will say I have tried the wedger 2x. TYhe first tiem my pineapple was too small. The second time I found out I was vertically challenged and couldn't attempt this on the kitchen counter. My hubby LOVES PC and he finished it for me without any trouble! Literally took 1/4 the cutting time!!!

Jennie4PC said:
I really liekt eh pineapple wedger, my problem is I could not get the pineapple out for the life of me. My Dh had to get it out.
Next time use the protective cover to push the pineapple out. It works beautifully.

Actually, in the selling DVD it shows/tells you to put the pineapple on top of the cover, that way the wedger cuts all the way down through it and you don't have to try to pull the pineapple out. I didn't realize this!!!

I dont have the dvd - so do you put the cover the way it is for storage?

Anyone else found that if you have a fat pineapple it leaves quite a bit on the rind? I felt like I was waisting some of the pineapple, so I ended up taking a knife and shaving off the extra. It still was easier than carving off all the rind with a knife...

PamperedDor said:
I dont have the dvd - so do you put the cover the way it is for storage?

Yes! that is right...

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Anyone else found that if you have a fat pineapple it leaves quite a bit on the rind? I felt like I was waisting some of the pineapple, so I ended up taking a knife and shaving off the extra. It still was easier than carving off all the rind with a knife...

YES!! I did the same thing, just took a knife and carved out the extra.

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! And I'm vertically challenged as well. BUT...I have learned that the woman who lived in my house when the kitchen was redone (it's an old farmhouse from the 1920's) was so short that she had the countertops made SHORTER...so I love my short countertops! Also used the cover to push out the pineapple and then, though I didn't have the exact directions, used the apple wedger to make smaller chunks. I had some strawberries that I never used for V-Day, so I took strawberry halves and pineapple chunks and threaded them onto skewers and put one on each plate at dinner last night. My boys thought they were royalty! :)

Well the dishwasher trick worked:)! I still don't like it though. I cut another pineapple today. Mine was large too, and I felt like I was losing a lot of the good pineapple.

I guess if you cut a lot of pineapples at once it would be good, but I only do one. I already have to get my forged knife dirty to cut the ends off and cut it in half. It's more to clean.

This is just my opinion.

I really like the pineapple wedger... i made the fresh pineapple salsa for my team meeting the other night and it was surprisingly good! I was nervous to use it but found it to be easy and fun!:thumbup::thumbup::)

I was having a similar lid problem w/ my food chopper- it seemed like it stretched out, and wouldn't stay on unless I held it in place. (I dumped more food by accident than I care to admit....urgh*) I put the lid in a pot of boiling water (I have no dishwasher), let it cool, then it fit nice and snug- just like new!

c00p said:
Actually, in the selling DVD it shows/tells you to put the pineapple on top of the cover, that way the wedger cuts all the way down through it and you don't have to try to pull the pineapple out. I didn't realize this!!!

This is good to know, we were thinking that they should've designed it better because it doesn't quite cut all the way through... but I'll try this next time... I have a pineapple sitting on my counter to make the Pina Colada Cake, so I'll try using the lid under it... hope it helps, it's my biggest complaint about it... I watched the DVD too and didn't notice that part. I'll have to watch again!

Wait a minute...didn't someone say they tried that and it cut through the cover?! I'll need to go back through and re-read the thread. But I thought someone said not to do that. I don't remember the video telling you to do that. Guess I'll double check that as well. Hmm.

babywings76 said:
Wait a minute...didn't someone say they tried that and it cut through the cover?! I'll need to go back through and re-read the thread. But I thought someone said not to do that. I don't remember the video telling you to do that. Guess I'll double check that as well. Hmm.

Hmmm, I don't remember reading that, please let me know when you find out... thank you!

The important thing is to line up the tabs under the handles. I think the person who cut through theirs didn't have it lined up. The written instructions say to use the cover to push the pineapple on through the wedger.

babywings76 said:

I remember reading that. I think it might have been from Beth - maybe?

BethCooks4U said:
...CAUTION! If you use the tip of popping the pineapple off with the cover be sure to place the tabs of the cover centered under the handle. The first time I used it I didn't and cut right through the cover.

yep - it was Beth who gave the heads-up on that tip.

pamperedlinda said:
yep - it was Beth who gave the heads-up on that tip.

thank you... I had just read through all of the posts again and did find that part... I'm going to watch the video again too. But it's still a good tip if you do it right. And can't wait to try it on a cantaloupe (I had missed that part too)

SPVA said:
Also great to use on a whole cantelope. Perfect slices :)

Okay, I just tried using the pineapple wedger on a cantaloupe and it was a disaster! Please explain how this worked and made perfect slices.... Because I'm thinking that I did something wrong... although I can't for the life of me figure out how it would work. I would love it if someone could explain this. Thanks!!! I really like to be able to give at least 2 uses for each product and if this would work it would be great!

I am curious about this also, I was going to try it after I got my wedger, but since I don't have it yet, I haven't been able to try it.

I keep forgetting to pick up a cantaloupe in order to try this out. Putting it on the list now.

Thanks Rae!

I have tried two pineapples with no luck what so ever. I even tried to do it in the sink for a lower place and still could not get it to work. Then my husband stepped in (twice now) and he could hardly get it. I could never take this to a show and am very scared to even mention them. I did however make the pineapple upside down cake in the fluted pan and it turned out wonderful. Instead of using pineapple juice I used a can of coconut milk. It was so moist and so good, I will be doing this at shows.

So I learned today that a new lid is $3 on the replacement form!

I was showing my BIL the wedger, and well he wasn't listening when I said to line up the lid. Well I have a lid with nice slits in it now. So if you are doing this interactively at a show, make sure you choose someone who listens!

BlessedWifeMommy said:

Yes, I also ended up cutting out the extra. I also just checked my cover and, yep, two slits where DH didn't line it up when he came to my rescue to get it off. :yuck: I also had to cut the pineapple in half - just could not get it to start cutting :(

When I was doing my pineapple last night (before I tried the melon) I was having a hard time with it because I had let the pineapple set for a little too long and the skin (I know there's a better word for it) was rubbery, so my DH helped me out and I kept saying line it up and he kept saying it is lined up and pushed and pushed and cut right through it... WHY!!! I was very frustrated with him, because I knew it wasn't right and he wouldn't listen to me! grrrr.... I think that I'm going to put the cover on and have it lined up and mark it with a colored sharpie somewhere on the lid and the wedger that he'll know where the mark is the next time he "helps" me... Would still like to figure out the melon one though...

We had our cluster meeting on Monday and I got a chance to use it. I am in LOVE with it! I ordered it right after the meeting and my DH is just as excited because now he doesn't have to cut the silly pineapple for me and the kids anymore. :) We also tried it on melon and I plan on trying it on smaller items like large apples for added selling purposes. :)

KrisGio said:
We had our cluster meeting on Monday and I got a chance to use it. I am in LOVE with it! I ordered it right after the meeting and my DH is just as excited because now he doesn't have to cut the silly pineapple for me and the kids anymore. :) We also tried it on melon and I plan on trying it on smaller items like large apples for added selling purposes. :)

Can you please explain this! What exactly did it do to the melon and how did you do it. Did you cut it in half first and take the seeds out? For me the whole thing was just a mess and just made it harder getting it all ready... I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or if my melon was just too big or what. Please, please, please share all details! I would love to be able to tell my customers about this but can't get any details! TIA!!!!

ChefPaulaB said:
I kept saying line it up and he kept saying it is lined up and pushed and pushed and cut right through it... WHY!!!

This sounds like classic miscommunication to me. He probably thought you meant lining the wedger up with the pineapple or centering it over the cover. In the meantime, you knew that you meant to line the handles up with the tabs.

I wish I was in love with it like quite a few of you are. I sure don't know what we could be doing wrong but it has been a disaster every time I have tried to use it. I even cut the pineapple in half and still felt like I was in a wrestling match both times.. Maybe three is a charm but I doubt I will try it again. Our store will cut the pineapple for you in the deli so I guess I will stick to that.
We are going to try it at our cluster meeting next month so I am anxious to see how it goes for someone else. I really wanted it to work..

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• magentablue
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
doughmama
  • chefheidi2003
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • heat123