• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

In summary, the recipe for a pineapple upside down cake in the Family Skillet or a 10' Skillet calls for 1/2 c. butter or margerine, 1 c. packed brown sugar, 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple rings, 5 maraschino cherries, 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1 pkg yellow cake mix, water, 3 eggs, 1/3 c. vegetable oil, and 1 cup thawed whipped topping. Preheat oven to 350 and melt butter in the skillet over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar until well blended. Drain pineapple in a small colander and set aside. Arrange pineapple slices over the sugar mixture. Place a cherry half in the center
SusanA
Does anyone have a recipe to make a pineapple upside down cake in the Family Skillet or a 10' Skillet? I thought I had viewed this recipe once on this site but maybe I am just dreaming it.

Thank you!
SusanA

I'll attach it....LOL....:eek: I tried it last night, now DON'T yell at me, in my Revere wear skillet....LOL...it was a NIGHTMARE....It was more like a LAVA cake than PUDC.....LOL...my hubby was hysterical...."that's not the way my mommie makes it....".......

I found that in it it says to put the heat on "low", I did, but my lo is below simmer....LOL...it baked on the stovetop from 6-10.....LOL....I'm still scraping the pan.....

So, don't use any pan that is not non-stick....LOL....And watch where your Low is......

I'm gonna do it again WHEN I get my PC skillet.....:eek:

Last edited:
Wow! how funny you should ask!I am making that today for my first outside of my house show lol My director lent me her 12" skillet and I made it last night (didnt have enough pineapples but it was awesome!)

Here you go:

1/2 c. butter or margerine
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 can (20 ounces) pineapple rings, undrained
5 maraschino cherries, drained and halved
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 pkg yellow cake mix
water
3 eggs
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 cup thawed whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in Family skillet over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar until well blended using Nylon Scraper.

Drain pineapple in small Colander, reserving juice in small colander bowl & set aside. Arrange pineapple slices over sugar mixture. Place a cehrry half in center of each pineapple slice. Sprinkle nuts over pineapple.

Add enough water to pineapple juice to make 1 1/3 cups liquid. Combine cake mix, liquid, eggs and oil in classic batter bowl; Whisk until well blended and smooth. Pour over fruit mixture in skillet.

Bake 30-35 minutes until Cake Tester inserted in center comes out clean. cool 5 minutes. Carefully loosen edges of cake; invert into large heat safe serving platter. Cool slightly. Pipe whipped cream around edges of cake using Easy Accent Decorator. Cut with Slice N Serve.

Yield 12 servings

I used Pecans and didnt have enough pineapple slices but it came out awesome. (Pan is very heavy so practice before you make it at a show)

:) Tina

Ooops me bad!Sorry Kel, didnt realize you attached the recipe! oh well, great minds think alike! lol you shouldve come here for the cake.. lol :)

LOL...it was a RIOT...I had the stuff bubbling out all over and onto my smooth top, my husband was hysterically laughing in the other room....my son didn't DARE say anything, but I heard the laughter from behind his door....even the dog stayed out of the kitchen....I NEED the family skillet....LOL...:p

But it came out okay, well, the pineapples are still stuck to the bottom of the pan....and um I didn't see the cherries anywhere....LOL....must've been part of the black goo on the bottom of the pan, but the rest was okay....:D

I am soooooo close to the skillet....and i am chomping at the bit....I have to go to a family thing tonight, so I'm going with catalog in hand and I BETTER get some orders.....LOL....I'm hitting up my sis in laws family this time, maybe knock on some doors....LOL..kidding.....

326.00 is all I need for my bonuses.....that is IT....ARG....

It's okay, April will be a new month, with all I've learned here, I should be able to knock my 1st party out of the park...positive thinking right?

I've tried it 2x in the Stir-fry skillet - don't have the family skillet yet. The first time was at a show and one of the pineapples stuck in the pan when I filled it out. Opps. I was embarrassed, but they all thought it was awesome. The second time I took it to a board meeting and this time it all cam out, but split down the center between pineapple rings. I'm not sure if that was because of the pan shape, or because it was so moist. But everyone LOVED it.

I really do need to get the familly skillet!

I have made it in the 10 inch skillet because I don't have the family sillet yet. All I did was make the mix how it says in the above recipes and take about a cup of the batter out before putting it in the skillet just in case. I didn't want it to go over the sides since it is a smaller skillet. It came out perfect. I took it to a cluster meeting and everyone loved it.

Happy Camper~My friend was the host and she's pg. Well she LOVED it.. didnt want the whipped cream or the cherries, but it came out awesome.. have to admit I was scared to death it wasnt coming out that great.

My director recommended turning it over onto our large flat stone.. came out perfectly :) I was sooooooooo relieved! whoooooosh

WAY TO GO............TINA!!!! ^5

Ginger

Kelley Sells said:
LOL....:eek: I tried it last night, now DON'T yell at me, in my Revere wear skillet....LOL...it was a NIGHTMARE....It was more like a LAVA cake than PUDC.....LOL...my hubby was hysterical...."that's not the way my mommie makes it....".......

I found that in it it says to put the heat on "low", I did, but my lo is below simmer....LOL...it baked on the stovetop from 6-10.....LOL....I'm still scraping the pan.....

So, don't use any pan that is not non-stick....LOL....And watch where your Low is......

I'm gonna do it again WHEN I get my PC skillet.....:eek:

HI for this recipe, do you just use yellow cake mix or is there a specific kind? Thanks!

KellyTheChef said:
yellow cake mix

DUH RAI! It says right in the recipe Thanks!!

Hi, I've just recently signed in for chat. I'm really new at it, but I just love it already. Anyway.... My PUDC is really simple...
Yellow Cake mix (or the special one that Betty Crocker makes) Mix with ingred. on box. Melt one stick of butter in Family Skillet, add about 1 cup of Brown Sugar (I just poor and mix into the butter, enough to keep it moist), then put a can of CRUSHED pinapples - juice and all, add the cake batter, then cut and put cherries on the top. I bake at 350 for about 30 min. or until cake tester comes out clean. I do Pampered Chef BINGO's every month and almost always bring this because it's such a hit and feeds lots of people and is pretty cheap to make. It always comes out like your a pro... I've never had it stick more than just a couple of crumbs. So try this one..........

Thanks for the recipe. How do you do your PC bingos if you don't mind sharing?

Never mind, I just saw your post in the bookings section :eek:

What ingredients are needed to make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake?

To make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake, you will need the following ingredients:

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
  • 1 jar (6 ounces) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 1/4 cups reserved pineapple juice
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil

Can I use fresh pineapple instead of canned pineapple for this recipe?

Yes, you can use fresh pineapple instead of canned pineapple for this recipe. You will need to slice the pineapple into thin rounds and arrange them on the bottom of the cake pan before adding the batter.

Do I need to flip the cake upside down to serve it?

Yes, you will need to flip the cake upside down to serve it. This is what gives the cake its signature appearance. Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes before flipping it onto a serving platter.

Can I use a different type of cake mix for this recipe?

Yes, you can use a different type of cake mix for this recipe. However, the flavor may be slightly different depending on the type of cake mix you choose. A white or butter cake mix would be a good alternative to yellow.

Can I make this cake ahead of time?

Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time. Simply store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, allow the cake to come to room temperature before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cochef
  • AJPratt
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies