• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Pie Crust: Why is the Bottom Not Browning?

In summary, the customer is not saying that the crust is not getting done, she is saying she wants the bottom crust to be as brown and flakey as the top layer. She doesn't want it white. She might be able to precook the bottom layer a little bit first, but then the edges will burn unless she cuts them off before putting the filling in and putting the top layer on.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
I had a customer come up to me at a show today and ask me why her crust is never done when she uses the pie plate. She said the top of the crust if brown flaky and beautiful, but the bottom crust is never brown. I have not used mine for pies yet so I didn't know what to say, just that I would check into it and get back with her.
Any ideas?

Don't know. I have never had this problem. Is she baking it long enough? Maybe she is taking it out too soon because the edges are getting done to fast? Does she cover them with the pie shield or foil?

I always pre-cook my bottom crust a bit first. Then I place filling inside and put top on. I then cover plate with foil and cook. About five minutes before its done, remove foil and continue to cook for last 5 minutes. Pie will come out perfect!

I thought maybe that might be it, but she said "I thought things cooked evenly in the stoneware." I might suggest the pie shield though.

You do have to cook things a few minutes longer in all of the stoneware. I usually add on 2-3 minutes more.

I've noticed that when I make cookies, the first batch always takes a couple of minutes longer than what the recipe calls for. Once the stone is heated up though, it doesn't take that long.

krzymomof4 said:
I had a customer come up to me at a show today and ask me why her crust is never done when she uses the pie plate. She said the top of the crust if brown flaky and beautiful, but the bottom crust is never brown. I have not used mine for pies yet so I didn't know what to say, just that I would check into it and get back with her.
Any ideas?

Ask her if she has foil in the bottom of her oven. I read here somewhere that this also hinders the cooking process with stones. But add the time onto your cooking also, that is another trouble shooter for stones.

crust not cookedclearly she is taking the pie out before it is totally cooked. The pie crust shield or strips of aluminum foil will help.

Stoneware does take a few extra minutes to heat up the stone.

Think of a frozen pot pie - it is usualliy not done when the top looks done - the top has to bee dark golden for the bottom to cook - and that's in a metal pan!

Offer to cook a pie together with her. You'll get a customer for life! :)

Bottom rack of the oven?When I make pies in my stoneware, I always have it on the bottom rack of my oven. I use the shield, add on a few minutes, and voila! No problems!

Diane

Hey guys, I was talking to krzymom about this on the phone (she's my recruit)and she was telling me that the lady isn't saying the crust isn't getting done, she is saying she wants the bottom crust to be as brown and flakey as the top layer!!! She doesn't want it white!! Is that possible? I guess she could precook the bottom layer a little bit first, but then the edges will burn unless she cuts them off before putting the filling in and putting the top layer on. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? Krzymom said she is an older lady.

1. Why is my pie crust soggy on the bottom?

The most common reason for a soggy pie crust on the bottom is that the filling has released too much moisture. To prevent this, make sure to fully pre-bake your crust before adding the filling. Another tip is to sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs or flour on the bottom crust before adding the filling to help absorb excess moisture.

2. How can I prevent my pie crust from shrinking?

Pie crust can shrink if it is not chilled before baking or if it is overworked. Make sure to chill your dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out. Also, avoid stretching the dough when placing it in the pie dish and use pie weights or dry beans to prevent the crust from puffing up during baking.

3. Why is my pie crust burnt on the edges but undercooked on the bottom?

This can happen if the pie dish is too dark or if the oven temperature is too high. To prevent this, try using a glass or light-colored pie dish and make sure to preheat your oven to the correct temperature. You can also cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent them from burning.

4. How do I know when my pie crust is done?

The best way to tell if your pie crust is done is by its color. It should be a light golden brown when fully cooked. You can also gently tap the crust with a fork - if it feels firm, it is done. If you are unsure, you can always use a pie crust shield or foil to cover the edges and prevent them from burning while the bottom crust finishes baking.

5. Can I fix a pie crust that is already baked but has a soggy bottom?

If your pie crust is already baked but has a soggy bottom, you can try placing it back in the oven, uncovered, for a few minutes to help dry out the bottom. You can also transfer the filling to a new, pre-baked crust if necessary. To prevent this issue in the future, make sure to pre-bake your crust and use a filling that is not too wet.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lauriedip
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lauriedip
  • anoelle
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • clshirk