• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pie Plate Sizes: Are They Different Now?

In summary, customers have been experiencing issues with the pie crust shield not fitting their deep dish pie plate, leading to confusion and frustration. However, it is designed to sit on top of the crust without completely covering it in order to prevent burning. It may fit better on a glass pyrex pie plate with fluted edges. Some customers have also found success using the disposable foil shields.
ChefSandyK
Alright...this may seem like a silly question, BUT...my newly ordered pie crust shield DOESN'T FIT when used with the deep dish pie plate...the only pie plate we sell. It sits on top of it, but certainly doesn't fit around it. And the cut out holes on either side are way to small for the stone's handles. Has the pie plate changed since I bought it a few years ago? Am I pie shield challenged? :confused: Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandy

Mine doesn't either. I never read the Product Use and Care Guide on this but I was confused at first too. I just rest it on top of the edges of my crust and it does keep it from browning too fast. There must be a reason for why it is the size it is I am just not sure why.

Lol !! Mine Too !!Yes , last fall I sold a ton to go with the pie plates, i got so many complaints about that! Iam clueless as well !! Anyone else know why ! :)

From what I know, the pie crust shield isn't supposed to fit perfectly to the dish. The reason it sits on top is to cover the entire outer crust without flattening or completely covering it. Most pie crusts do not fold on top of the dish. I make mine to stand upright, then I cover the edge with the pie crust shield.

There may be a "cooking" reason as to why it doesn't fit over the top completely--I just don't know it :) What I do know, is that this pie crust shield has taken the frustration out of trying to fit small, torn pieces of aluminum foil around my pie crusts-and then keep them on while putting in the oven.

I remember reading somewhere that it is suppose to just sit on there and not actually "fit" over the crust. I am not a pie baker, so mine doesn't get used much. I had a lot of people ask for them before we had one and I was excited when we got it. But, it won't fit on any other pie pan. It won't work for frozen pie crusts in aluminum pans. It is not a very universal product. Haven't sold anymore since the first season.

Shawnna

The purpose of a pie shield is to protect the edges or top of the crust from burning or overbaking. The proper way to use the shield is to rest it on top of the outer edges. If it was pushed down, the crust would crack, and may bake unevenly. If you feel that the shield does not work as well when the crust is raw, bake the pie just until it starts to color. By this point the crust will be firmer, and you may find that the shield rests on top of the pie more easily.

Personally, I have used the disposable foil shields that come in sections and the PC shield. Ours is easier to use. However, I did find that the shield fits best on a glass pyrex 9-10 pie plate with fluted edges. This may be the secret as the fluting elevates the crust more.

I hope this helps with an explanation for your customers.

What are the different sizes of pie plates available?

At Pampered Chef, we offer pie plates in three different sizes: 9 inches, 10 inches, and 11 inches. Our 9 inch pie plate is perfect for smaller pies, while our 10 inch and 11 inch pie plates are great for larger pies or deep-dish pies.

Have the sizes of pie plates changed over time?

While the standard sizes for pie plates have remained consistent, there have been some changes in the materials used to make them. In the past, pie plates were primarily made of glass or metal, but now there are also options made of stoneware and ceramic.

What is the best size for a traditional apple pie?

The 9 inch pie plate is the most commonly used size for a traditional apple pie. It allows for a standard crust and filling without any overflowing or spillage. However, if you prefer a thicker crust or extra filling, you may want to use a 10 inch pie plate.

Do I need to adjust my recipe for different pie plate sizes?

Yes, it is important to adjust your recipe if you are using a different size pie plate than what is specified. The filling and crust ratios may be different, leading to either too much or not enough filling for the size of the crust. We recommend using our recipes specifically designed for each pie plate size to ensure the best results.

Are there any benefits to using a larger pie plate?

Using a larger pie plate can be beneficial for certain recipes, such as deep-dish pies or pies with a lot of filling. It also allows for a thicker crust, which some people prefer. However, it is important to note that a larger pie plate may also require more ingredients and a longer baking time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Energizermom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • AnnieBee
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
princessmeshelle
  • pcbrandy