• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Phone Phobia: Tips for Picking Up the Phone with Confidence

In summary, the best tips/strategies for pushing through the fear/anxiety and picking up the phone that feels like it weighs 5000 pounds are to have a goal, to have a script, to set an alarm, and to practice with someone who will be honest but helpful.
ejleinenbach
Gold Member
What are you best tips/strategies for pushing through the fear/anxiety and picking up the phone that feels like it weighs 5000 pounds? For some reason I am suffering from a bad case of phone phobia. I could talk a team member through this but for some reason I am having a difficult time talking my own self through it. Any and all help appreciated!!!

The phone weighs a ton for me lately as well. What usually helps me is the motivation of knowing I have a goal I need to make , such as earning the trip to Disney, and most of all a calendar that is not full . I make sure I have the contact list in front of me, as well as having a script prepared and in front of me. Then, I "JUST DO IT". If you haven't listened to the "Phone Courage" audio file in the online training on CC, I suggest you do that as well. I sometimes have to bring myself back mentally to that recorded call to remind myself that my customers will be glad to hear from me :).

Thank you. I have to check out that "Phone Courage" training. Making calls tomorrow is on my list for tomorrow.

I find the challenge is the script. Just took web course that helps with wording. How do you ask for the order or the show? I get awkward there.

Are you a carrot (rewards) or stick (punishment) person? I respond best to rewards, so I reward myself when I've made my contacts. If you respond better to punishment, set up something you don't like to do that you'll have to do if you don't make your calls by a certain time. Another thing that helps me, since it's easy to get busy and then use the excuse that it's too late to make calls, is to set my cell phone alarm. It goes off at 7:14 pm every weeknight. I turn the alarm off if I have a show or a meeting. When it goes off I think about whether I've spoken to at least 3 live people that day about PC. If I have, I reward myself with a bit of reading or something yummy (but also healthy). If I haven't, I stop whatever I'm doing (I've turned off the dinner skillet on more than one occasion) and make my calls.

I printed out a script last week and called my aunt, who I know wouldn't sell pc or have a party, but is a pc product lover, but not always a pc product user (shes one that forgets to take it out of the box). I asked her if I could practice with her a few times. We changed the script a bit, she told me what she would think if I was another DS person calling her, etc. It unfortunately took up all the time I was planning to make phone calls that night, BUT, I am not 90% more confident when I make my calls this week. So my suggestion is to find someone to practice (on the phone) with who will be honest but helpful.

What is the proper way to pick up the phone?

The proper way to pick up the phone is to first make sure your hands are clean and dry, then lift the receiver with your dominant hand and bring it up to your ear. You should also answer with a polite and clear greeting, such as "Hello" or "Good morning/afternoon/evening."

Should I answer every call I receive?

No, it is not necessary to answer every call you receive. If the call is from an unknown number or you are busy with something else, it is okay to let it go to voicemail or decline the call. However, if the call is from a known contact or you are expecting an important call, it is best to answer it.

How should I end a phone call?

To end a phone call, you can say "Goodbye" or "Thank you for calling." It is also polite to ask if there is anything else the caller needs before ending the conversation. If you are the one being called, make sure to say "Goodbye" before hanging up.

What should I do if I accidentally hang up on someone?

If you accidentally hang up on someone, it is best to call them back and apologize for the disconnection. You can explain that it was a mistake or a technical issue. It is important to maintain good communication and avoid misunderstandings.

Is it okay to put someone on hold while on a phone call?

Yes, it is okay to put someone on hold while on a phone call, but it is important to ask for their permission first. Let them know the reason for the hold and how long it will take. It is also polite to check in with them periodically to make sure they are still okay with holding. Avoid putting someone on hold for an extended period of time, as it can be seen as disrespectful of their time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kathytnt
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
DebbieSAChef
  • Deb Bixler
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
Replies