• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Picking the Sweetest Watermelon: Easy Tips & Tricks!

In summary, when picking a watermelon, make sure it has a yellow spot, look for webbing, and black hard globs. For cantaloupes, look for a yellow or light orange color behind the weave pattern and smell the end where the vine was attached. A ripe cantaloupe will have a sweet smell, indicating it is ready to eat.
DebPC
Staff member
Didn't know this-How to pick a Watermelon: Everyday I see people banging on watermelons trying to pick the best one. Here's the real deal on picking the sweetest watermelon: 1. Make sure it has a prominent yellow spot. This is where it sat on the ground ripening. No spot = premature pick = not ripe. 2. Look for "webbing". This is the brown, course web looking materiel. This is caused when bees pollinate the flower and scar the membranes that later forms the fruit. The more pollination = more webbing = sweeter fruit. 3. Look for black hard globs seeping out. This is sugar not insects or rotting.
Photo: How to pick a Watermelon: Everyday I see people banging on watermelons trying to pick the best one. Here's the real deal on picking the sweetest watermelon: 1. Make sure it has a prominent yellow spot. This is where it sat on the ground ripening. No spot = premature pick = not ripe. 2. Look for "webbing". This is the brown, course web looking materiel. This is caused when bees pollinate the flower and scar the membranes that later forms the fruit. The more pollination = more webbing = sweeter fruit. 3. Look for black hard globs seeping out. This is sugar not insects or rotting. watermelon10481615_10203365952802965_2880390460754616649_n.jpg

I always chuckle at folks doing the same thing with cantelopes. I can almost always get a good melon, or at least perfectly ripe (not yet mastered the sweet factor, but maybe the watermelon tips will help there too?!). But for a cantelope, look at the color BEHIND the weave pattern. If it has a green color, it is NOT rioe. You want a more yellow or light orange color...almost the color of the flesh. THAT is a ripe cantelope....and ripe usually tastes the best. I rarely am disappointed.

esavvymom said:
I always chuckle at folks doing the same thing with cantelopes. I can almost always get a good melon, or at least perfectly ripe (not yet mastered the sweet factor, but maybe the watermelon tips will help there too?!). But for a cantelope, look at the color BEHIND the weave pattern. If it has a green color, it is NOT rioe. You want a more yellow or light orange color...almost the color of the flesh. THAT is a ripe cantelope....and ripe usually tastes the best. I rarely am disappointed.
I always smell the end of the cantelope where the vineand if it smells like catelope when you cut it open, it is usually ripe and sweet. No smell, it's not going to taste sweet! (hope this makes sense!)

What are some tips for selecting a sweet watermelon?

Look for a watermelon that is heavy for its size, has a uniform shape, and a yellow spot on the bottom where it sat on the ground.

How can I tell if a watermelon is ripe?

A ripe watermelon should have a dull, matte finish and a hollow sound when tapped. The stem should also be dry and brown.

What is the best way to cut a watermelon?

Start by cutting off both ends of the watermelon, then cut it in half lengthwise. From there, you can cut the halves into slices or cubes for easy serving.

Can I store a watermelon after it has been cut?

Yes, cut watermelon can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.

Are there any tricks to make a watermelon sweeter?

You can try sprinkling a little bit of salt on your watermelon to enhance its natural sweetness. You can also try grilling or adding it to a fruity salad for a different flavor profile.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back