• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Solving the Mystery of Phyllo Sheets for Sweet Orange Mascarpone Tartlets

In summary, the recipe calls for 8 sheets of phyllo dough. You need 4 packages to make the tartlets, but it's recommended that you freeze the extra dough.
kam
Staff member
I am looking at the Sweet Orange Mascarpone Tartlets recipe from Simply Sweet...and my brain must have frozen...

It calls for 8 sheets phyllo dough.

How many phyllo "sheets" are in a package? I am thinking 2, but that would mean I need 4 packages for this recipe? Or am I not thinking about this clearly? That just seems like a lot. Or when the phyllo thaws, does it separate into sheets? Can't remember. HELP! :)

And here are part of the instructions:

...Lay one sheet of phyllo on cutting board, spray with nonstick spray and sprinkle with sugar. Place second sheet of phyllo over first, matching edges and pressing to seal. Repeat layers to create a stack of 4 sheets, ending with phyllo and reserving half of the sugar for second stack.

Last time I bought it there were a lot of sheets. I don't have the package but still have a ton of the sheets in the freezer. Are you mixing up Puff Pastry and Phyllo dough?

You're probably thinking puff pastry. Phyllo dough has a bunch of thin sheets. I would think it'd say how many on the box.

Here's a quick tip--don't use phyllo dough. I HATE working with it. I buy the already-made, frozen phyllo shells (here they're labeled Filo Shells). They're great.

Haha! I WAS thinking Puff Pastry. There are only 2 sheets in that.

See, I had brain freeze. I actually don't think I have ever used the Phyllo sheets.
Rae - yes, I know the cups you are talking about. I have used those in the past with a lemon curd filling. They are wonderful. Ooooh, I bet the filling for these tarts would be just fine in those little cups.

THANKS everyone!

I second that about the Phyllo dough, I don't like working with it either. It turns to dried out paper about 2 min. after you thaw it out! It's hard to work with, breaks all the time and tastes like paper. BLAWK!!! I do like puff pastry though:)

I did lots of the Sweet Orange Mascarpone Tartlets with the phyllo shells. They were a HUGE hit.

raebates said:
I did lots of the Sweet Orange Mascarpone Tartlets with the phyllo shells. They were a HUGE hit.

OK! Decided. I was wavering back and forth, but now I am going to have to make these.

Last edited:
I use Phyllo dough to make Baklava. I LOVE it for that, but have never done anything else with it. I did buy the pre-made little cups that Rae referred to--those are soooo nice to work with and make things really easy.The trick with working with phyllo dough is to have a damp kitchen towel lay on top of them. So as soon as you peel off one sheet, you put the towel back on. Make sure it covers the whole sheet, so your corners don't crack.

What are phyllo sheets?

Phyllo sheets are paper-thin sheets of dough commonly used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. They are made from flour, water, and a small amount of oil, and are layered together to create a flaky and crispy texture.

How do I properly handle and work with phyllo sheets?

Phyllo sheets are delicate and can dry out quickly, so it is important to keep them covered with a damp cloth while working with them. When handling the sheets, be gentle and avoid tearing them. If they tear, simply patch them together with a little bit of water and continue working.

Do I need to grease the pan before using phyllo sheets?

Yes, it is recommended to lightly grease the pan with butter or cooking spray before placing the phyllo sheets in it. This will help prevent them from sticking and make it easier to remove the tartlets after baking.

Can I use phyllo sheets for savory dishes as well?

Yes, phyllo sheets can be used for both sweet and savory dishes. They are often used in dishes such as spanakopita and baklava, but can also be used as a crust for quiches and tarts.

How do I store leftover phyllo sheets?

To prevent the phyllo sheets from drying out, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can also freeze them for up to three months. Before using, thaw them in the refrigerator and bring them to room temperature before unwrapping.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Lisa/ChefBear
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
  • stefani2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • thechefofnorthbend