• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making Baklava: Tips on Keeping Phyllo Dough Moist

In summary, to prevent the phyllo dough from drying out while making baklava, cover it with a damp kitchen towel. You can use melted butter instead of clarified butter, but clarified butter is preferred to prevent burning. To prevent the bottom from becoming soggy, brush the pan with butter before adding the dough. Baklava can be made ahead of time and stays fresh for up to 3 days at room temperature or 1 week in the refrigerator. To achieve a flaky texture, brush each layer of dough with butter and let the baklava cool completely before cutting and serving.
SusanK
The recipe in the Season's Best cookbook says to re-wrap the phyllo dough in plastic to keep it moist in between putting together each banana bundle -- I make baklava quite frequently and I have always put a damp towell over the phyllo dough, it takes less time than re-wraping and keeps/adds moisture into the dough. Be careful, use a damp, not wet towell, too much water and the dough will stick together.

Thanks for the tip Susan! Phyllo dough can be tough to work with sometimes! Which is why I haven't tried the phyllo cheesecake tart yet!! :p

Great tip! Thanks!

1. How do I prevent the phyllo dough from drying out while making baklava?

To keep the phyllo dough moist, cover it with a damp kitchen towel while you work. This will prevent it from drying out and becoming brittle.

2. Can I use melted butter instead of clarified butter for baklava?

Yes, you can use melted butter as a substitute for clarified butter in baklava. However, clarified butter is preferred as it has a higher smoke point and won't burn as easily.

3. How do I prevent the bottom of the baklava from becoming soggy?

To prevent the bottom of the baklava from becoming soggy, brush the bottom of the pan with a thin layer of butter before adding the phyllo dough. This will create a barrier between the dough and the filling.

4. Can I make baklava ahead of time?

Yes, you can make baklava ahead of time. Once it is fully assembled and baked, let it cool completely before covering it tightly with foil or plastic wrap. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days at room temperature or 1 week in the refrigerator.

5. How do I get the perfect flaky texture for my baklava?

To achieve a perfect flaky texture for your baklava, make sure to brush each layer of phyllo dough with a generous amount of butter. This will help the layers separate and create a light and crispy texture. Also, be sure to let the baklava cool completely before cutting and serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Oracle
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ritabenson
  • KellyTheChef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
smarteez2
  • janetupnorth