• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Make Phone Calls Without the Dreaded Machine!

In summary, Holly is sharing her tips on how to make calls and what to say when you get a machine. She also shares how to keep your mind focused and how to follow up with people who have shown interest in learning more about the program.
BlessedWifeMommy
Okay, I hate the phone. :yuck:

I admit it! I procrastinate making calls. But I need to make some calls! I've listened to some training about it lately, but I still have these questions:

I get so discouraged when I finally get up the courage to make the call and I get a machine. So I want to avoid this as much as possible.

So... When do you make calls?

It seams like I never get anyone to call me back, so... What do you say when you get a machine?

What tips can you share?

TIA! :D

Here are a couple things I do.
1. I only have a cell phone so I always use my bluetooth. I set the phone on the table. This makes sure that I won't drop the phone reaching for something, I won't walk "out of range" with my phone and I have my hands free to write and/or use the computer.
2. I get comfortable. I sit on the couch and have a pad and paper with me. That's my "phone spot."
3. I just take the calls 1 at a time. You might have 7 calls to make. Well 7 calls could take up to 2 hours total. So I'll make 1 call - the first on my list. And then I might do something else or I might just go ahead and make the 2nd call because I'm in a rhythm by then.

The best time to make calls is whatever time works best for you.

I don't expect my customers to call me back, if they're anywhere near as busy as I am, they don't have the time and I know I'm not the priority. Whether you leave a message or not is up to you. Once I realized that calling back was not personal to me, it made that part a lot easier for me.

I have posted above my desk a saying - I think it came from Belinda Ellsworth:

It's Not Their Job To Call You, It's Your Job To Call Them!

And I look at that when I'm making calls! It helps me to keep my mind straight.
When I leave a message, I always leave my #, and say something about how if they would like to call me back, I will be home, and available for calls until XX:00pm. If not, then I will try them back at a later time. I always end by letting them know that I am looking forward to talking with them.

ChefBeckyD said:

When I leave a message, I always leave my #, and say something about how if they would like to call me back, I will be home, and available for calls until XX:00pm. If not, then I will try them back at a later time. I always end by letting them know that I am looking forward to talking with them.

Thanks for sharing your sign! I know that, it is just a good reminder.

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Thanks for sharing your sign! I know that, it is just a good reminder.

Yeah, I know it too - but I still need to read it and repeat it to myself often! It's easy to get discouraged thinking no one ever calls you back.

Okay so I decided to go look on CC to see if there were any trainings to listen to...

There is one about Phone Courage from National Conference 08. Go down load it now before they remove 08 classes.

Thanks for the tips Holly.....I don't care much for the phone either, and I keep my "Script" fairly loose...Mine are pretty basic at the moment.

But here it is in general -

Hi....it's Laurie from PC. How are you? Just wanted to see how much you were loving your xxx. (Listen) So, what have you made with it? (Listen) Oh, good....that's xxx or I'll have to try that one myself!

You can also xxx with it.

At this point, I follow up with anything they may have shown interest such as hosting or the biz opportunity.

So, how much fun would it be to get your friends and family together, laugh a little, eat a little AND get all these PC goodies for free!?!

or

You mentioned you've considered making money while having fun as a possibility. I wanted to call and go over a few details about the opportunity and answer any questions you may have.

I then say, Thanks so much for talking with me. I'll call you from time to time to see if you need anything. Don't hesitate to call me or email me if you need something before then, or if you have a question. Make sure you look out for my newsletter with updates and recipes.

Also, don't forget about my website....I add recipes and tips there on a regular basis.....plus it's also the link to the outlet specials. I know you've already bookmarked my PWS, right? Hee Hee

For VM, it's even more generic! Ha Ha

Hi, it's Laurie with PC.....just wanted to check in with you and make sure you were loving your XX. Feel free to call or email me, or I'll follow up again at a later time.....remember, I want to hear your tips and recipes too!

Hope it helps...

Is there a time you don't call past in the evening?

Holly... I try to avoid meal times and I try not to call after 7:30 unless the customer has given me permission to do so... I don't want to interrupt any moms trying to put their kids to bed.

I try to make my calls between 7pm and 8pm. People are usually done with dinner by then. I don't call past 9pm (house rule here, and other parents have told me the same).

I agree with the not after 9, but when I was listening to the above training, it sounded like she was saying that would probably be okay. I was a little taken a back!

My calling hours are 9-11am, 3-4:30pm and 8-9pm. I call later than 9pm only if I have permission (i'm up till 11pm most nights)

I'll have to listen to the training thing.

Chrystal and I have similar schedules, only my evening calls are 7 to 8. I prefer not to receive calls after 9 p.m., but that's me. Within reason, if it's best for you, it's a good time to make calls. If you plan to make them when it's convenient for you, you're more likely to actually make them. I say within reason, because the best time for me to make calls is 5 a.m. I've had one host say that that's the best time to reach her. I wouldn't dare call anyone else that early.

I made myself do it! I made an hour worth of calls tonight. I'm feeling better about the phone. I even did some cc calls and got a catalog show for June!

Great Job Holly....so, what worked best for you? How did you approach the booking?

Congrats on getting on the phone and a big whoo hoo for it resulting in a booking!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Great Job Holly....so, what worked best for you? How did you approach the booking?

Congrats on getting on the phone and a big whoo hoo for it resulting in a booking!

The booking was off of a outside order on a fundraiser. I decided just to ask if she would want to host a show. She said she had some items that she still wanted to get and I sweetened the deal for June and said I would buy her the June Host special. That was enough for her to say yes. I know I'm not going to make much when I give extra incentives. But I really want those PC$ in June. I'm crazy for thinking I'm going to sell $6 in one month, but I've got to try!

Very cool! I totally get the motivation to sell, sell, sell! I'm drooling just at the thought of getting all the new products free AND the 5% commission override. I'm shooting for the 6 too! Let's root for each other and share. = )

I'm attempting to host the $1k Mystery in June, with the hopes that I can have 2 more.

I'm starting a Power Cooking Workshop. I'm trying to get a Shop for Dad grill party. All the while maintaining cooking and catalog shows! LOL

We'll see....I have to start making those calls too!

ChefBeckyD said:

I had a situation a few weeks ago that put my phone issues in a new perspective. We had to cxl our Parents as teacher apt. b/c son was sick. Didn't want to schedule right then so told her I'd get back with her---didn't happen. She left a vm a few days later....I totally ment to call her but I'd think of it in the car when I didn't have her number or late at night. About a wk later she left another vm. That's when it hit me----OH MY GOSH, I"VE TURNED INTO "THOSE PEOPLE" THAT DRIVE ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! It took me a few more days, but I finally got her called back. I didn't mind her messages, it actually reminded me I needed to call her. Life is busy and as my director always has said--It's not their job to call you. If they have 3 messages on the AM, you prob. aren't their 1st pick to call back and they prob. never get back to calling the 3rd person who lm.

I'm glad to hear you had success with your calls!:sing:

BlessedWifeMommy said:
I made myself do it! I made an hour worth of calls tonight. I'm feeling better about the phone. I even did some cc calls and got a catalog show for June!

GOOD JOB!!! :) That is really great. :sing:

flemings99 said:
I had a situation a few weeks ago that put my phone issues in a new perspective. We had to cxl our Parents as teacher apt. b/c son was sick. Didn't want to schedule right then so told her I'd get back with her---didn't happen. She left a vm a few days later....I totally ment to call her but I'd think of it in the car when I didn't have her number or late at night. About a wk later she left another vm. That's when it hit me----OH MY GOSH, I"VE TURNED INTO "THOSE PEOPLE" THAT DRIVE ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! It took me a few more days, but I finally got her called back. I didn't mind her messages, it actually reminded me I needed to call her. Life is busy and as my director always has said--It's not their job to call you. If they have 3 messages on the AM, you prob. aren't their 1st pick to call back and they prob. never get back to calling the 3rd person who lm.

I'm glad to hear you had success with your calls!:sing:

Barb, I did actually reach a couple of ladies that said they had meant to call me back. They sounded like they really meant it too. I totally get this idea now. Hopefully this thread will help others get over the fear of the phone.

Now if I could only get over the fear of talking with friends about PC. I hate the idea of getting a no from someone I see often.

Barb, that's exactly what I try to keep in mind when I don't hear back from someone. It's also the kind of thing I mention when I'm leaving the 74th message for someone.

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Barb, I did actually reach a couple of ladies that said they had meant to call me back. They sounded like they really meant it too. I totally get this idea now. Hopefully this thread will help others get over the fear of the phone.

Now if I could only get over the fear of talking with friends about PC. I hate the idea of getting a no from someone I see often.

Don't worry if they say no. It's not no to you, it's no to the biz. A no today doesn't mean no forever--well in some cases.

NONE of my in-laws support my biz--no shows, no orders, nothing. They never ask how I'm doing. If I bring it up, the conversation stops where I end it. It used to bother me, but this summer marks 3 yrs in the biz. I'm happy, my family is happy & we're all better for me having this job. PLUS---I'm at 32,000 pts toward Disney. I"M TAKING MY FAMILY ON A FREE VAC!!! I can't wait to show off my pics to my in-laws!!!:D

flemings99 said:
NONE of my in-laws support my biz--no shows, no orders, nothing. They never ask how I'm doing. If I bring it up, the conversation stops where I end it. It used to bother me, but this summer marks 3 yrs in the biz. I'm happy, my family is happy & we're all better for me having this job. PLUS---I'm at 32,000 pts toward Disney. I"M TAKING MY FAMILY ON A FREE VAC!!! I can't wait to show off my pics to my in-laws!!!:D

Just wanted to say it's nice to know I'm not the only one! Hang in there, get that trip and take many, MANY photos. :D

1. How can I make phone calls without using a machine?

At Pampered Chef, we understand the frustration of having to use automated machines for phone calls. To make phone calls without using a machine, you can try the following:

• Call during off-peak hours when there is less traffic on the phone lines.
  • Utilize the "call back" option if available, where the machine will call you back when a representative is available.
  • If given the option, press "0" to speak to a representative directly.
  • Use the company's website or email to contact them instead of making a phone call.
  • Consider using a landline or a different phone number to see if the automated system is specific to your phone number.

2. How do I skip the automated message and speak to a real person?

To bypass the automated message and speak to a real person, try pressing "0" or saying "operator" during the message. You can also try pressing the pound key (#) or star key (*) multiple times until the system recognizes that you want to speak to a representative.

3. Can I request to be connected to a representative instead of using the automated system?

Yes, many companies offer the option to be connected to a representative if you say "representative" or "agent" during the automated message. Some may also have a "call back" option where a representative will call you back when available.

4. Is there a way to avoid waiting on hold for a long time?

To avoid waiting on hold for a long time, try calling during off-peak hours when there is less traffic on the phone lines. You can also try using the company's website or email to contact them instead of making a phone call. Another option is to utilize the "call back" option if available, where the machine will call you back when a representative is available.

5. Why do companies use automated machines for phone calls?

Companies use automated machines for phone calls to streamline the process and handle a high volume of calls efficiently. It also allows them to collect information from the caller before connecting them to a representative, saving time for both parties. However, we understand that it can be frustrating, and we are constantly working to improve our customer service experience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Bren706
  • NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • RossDeb2
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies