• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Fear of Phone Calls: Jean T. Colorado's Story

In summary, Jean is having a hard time dealing with the fear of the phone. She is unsure why this fear has come up recently, but believes it may be related to some of the events that have happened in her life recently. She does not think that she should worry too much, as she has been able to use the phone before and she is confident that she will be able to do so again.
jktrapp
all
I could really use everyones input. I have an intense fear of the phone! I've been selling PC for over 5 years and it's just been happening for the last 4 months. I can psych myself up (ex: no phone calls no $$), but its not working. :( . I do get physically sick too (nauseated, etc) I do great talking to people in person, but the phone... Anyone else suffer this way and what's your secret of getting through it? Thanks!

Jean T. Colorado

Can you pinpoint what exactly the problem with phoning someone is? Fear of rejection? Fear of messing up or sounding stupid?

Fear of rejection is part of it, but the phone period. It can be my best friend and I don't want to pick up the phone sometimes. When I leave messages I know I tend to talk fast and ramble, so I'm wondering if I come off sounding idiotic or weird :p

jktrapp said:
Fear of rejection is part of it, but the phone period. It can be my best friend and I don't want to pick up the phone sometimes. When I leave messages I know I tend to talk fast and ramble, so I'm wondering if I come off sounding idiotic or weird :p

You sound normal, everyone at some point feels the way you do, I know I have. :)

You said you've been doing PC for 5 years but only recently has this fear crippled you? Can you think of anything that happened recently that triggered this fear respone? Maybe a bad expierence or some other trauma in your life?

I've had lots of "unlucky" things happen in the last 4 months: husbands hours cut, grandmother dying, children with chronic illnesses getting sick, very thrifty Christmas, and some other minor things. Nothing traumatizing that had to do with the phone though! :confused:

jktrapp said:
I've had lots of "unlucky" things happen in the last 4 months: husbands hours cut, grandmother dying, children with chronic illnesses getting sick, very thrifty Christmas, and some other minor things. Nothing traumatizing that had to do with the phone though! :confused:

The funny thing about the human psyche is that it usually deals with trauma and stress with repression and then later that stress rises and manifests itself in another form. For example, say you recieved a phone call about your ailing grandmother, your told over the phone that your children are sick, your husband told you over the phone that his hours were cut and you can't spend as much on xmas gifts. You repress that stress so you can deal with the situation at hand, but then never really deal with the stress. Then later that stress slowly comes back, but manifests itself as stress over the phone because that is what caused the stress indirectly.

I don't think you should worry because you could use the phone before. You might just be in a weird funk that will just take time, even though a 4 month funk is kinda long Or you might want to see a doctor about this fear and they can help you work through it. I think you'll be fine either way. This kind of phobia is extremely common, even the most seasoned cold callers at times feel nervous. But what tells me that its something different than common come and go phobia is that you could do it before and now all of a sudden you can't for an extended period of time.

Last edited:
Don't let it go on too longI'm with Greg, you may need to get to a Dr. it sounds like you've had a lot happen in the last few months. Things that can really drag you down a bit, and make you a bit depressed perhaps? You might be functioning okay, but it is pretty common to withdraw into your own little shell when there is a lot going on in your life. Believe me! I've been there done that. If you would like more about my whole "journey" feel free to send me a private message.

Angela Shea

What is the story of Jean T. Colorado and her fear of phone calls?

Jean T. Colorado's story is about her struggle with a fear of making phone calls. She had always been anxious about talking on the phone, but it became a bigger problem when she started working at a call center. Her fear was causing her to avoid making important calls and affecting her job performance.

How did Jean T. Colorado overcome her fear of phone calls?

Jean sought help from a therapist who specialized in anxiety disorders. Through therapy, she learned coping mechanisms and techniques for managing her fear. She also gradually exposed herself to phone calls in a controlled and supportive environment, which helped her gain confidence and overcome her fear.

What are some tips for overcoming a fear of phone calls?

Some tips for overcoming a fear of phone calls include practicing deep breathing and relaxation techniques before making a call, visualizing a successful outcome, and starting with small and less intimidating calls. It can also be helpful to have a script or notes prepared to guide the conversation.

Can a fear of phone calls be overcome?

Yes, a fear of phone calls can be overcome with the right support and techniques. It may take time and effort, but many people have successfully conquered their fear of phone calls and have improved their communication skills and overall quality of life.

Are there any resources or tools available to help with overcoming a fear of phone calls?

Yes, there are resources and tools available to help with overcoming a fear of phone calls. These include therapy, self-help books, online support groups, and apps that offer guided relaxation and anxiety management exercises. Pampered Chef also offers a variety of products, such as meal planning tools and recipe books, to help make meal planning and grocery shopping less stressful.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
TheNewMrsRue
Replies