• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming a Fear of the Phone: Consultants & Friends Share Ideas

In summary, those of you with phone phobia should start by making a few calls every day. Those of you that have conquered the fear can try to smile while you are talking on the phone, or make sure that you are excited when you speak to the customer.
pamperedmaren
Hi fellow consultants and friends,

Does anyone else have a slight phone phobia like me? I know it's a pretty common problem, and a lot of people are really terrified by using the phone. (Fortunately mine isn't too bad, but still a hinderance!) I thought this could be an interesting discussion for those of us who do or did have a fear of the phone to offer suggestions.

I'm working on making customer care phone calls regularly each day, and I'm hoping that I'll slowly just become more comfortable with each call I get under my belt.

Thoughts, anyone?

I have it!I posted a month ago about this topic. I am deathly afraid :eek: of the phone! But I finally picked it up and started doing CC calls. To ease into it I am just calling and leaving messages. So I call mid morning to afternoon time when I know most will be at work! Slowly I will work my way to calling maybe in the evening when they are actually home! I still get butterflies even if I am talking to the machine! It's just that bad for me! Hopefully one day it won't be so bad and I can do it with style, ease and excitement!

good luck!

Me too!I do have the phone phobia. I always feel like I am bothering people/calling at the wrong time....whatever. I start to get anxious about it in the morning if I know I'm going to be making the calls that night. It does help if you make a few calls every day. I have been the last couple of weeks, one lady I met at a party in December said she'd like to host a party in the new year. I totally thought she was avoiding my calls. I called her today for the 8th time and she just apologized for not getting back to me and then booked a party for Feb. :D It certainly encouraged me to pick up the phone again!

Hope this helps, I think it just takes time to get over it.

there are somegreat scripts, kindly shared by Stephanie Switzer on this site. You'll have to search for it, but she has complete 3 call host coaching & calling for bookings "scripts". I've always found these sorts of things helpful - they keep me on track so I know what I've covered already & they give me words in case I get nervous.

Esther

One thing I have started to do to get a little over my phone sickness is making the hosts reminder calls for a show. I still get a nervous stomach when I do it, but it is gettting better. I do them during the day when most people aren't home so I am not as nervous when I speak to a machine. On that off chance someone answers the phone my heart immediately starts racing. I am hoping as time goes by that will get better as well then I can muster up the courage to start making CC calls.

Something I have started doing is making sure that I am smiling while I talk to customers, potential hosts, whoever on the phone. I really feel silly while sitting in my own home and smiling on the phone, but I feel it makes me sound much more excited about the phone call. If I sound excited, like I really want this person to book a show, that excitement will come through to the other end of the call. I don't always get a yes, but at least I sound like I am actually interested in doing my job.

Good ideas, guys! I will have to try smiling while I'm on the phone! :)

Those of you that use phone scripts, do you find it hard to stick to them? I think I tend to panic a little and skip over things that I really wanted to say. I kind of do that sort of thing with my show notes, too... I stop looking at my outline and then when I want to go back, I can't because I can't find my spot! So I'm winging it from then on. Not a good idea!

I am absolutely terrified of the phone!! I get sick to my stomach and start shaking when i have to call someone. its not that i mind being told no i just dont want to bother someone..interrupt dinner or putting kids to bed type thing. i can talk to someone in person so much better!! I had a long talk with my director last night and i know that is the reason i am not getting many bookings. i really need to get over this fear!! just dont know what to do. scripts dont do anything for me when because when i hear hello i panick!! hopefully it will get easier!! really nice to know i am not the only one with this problem!

Monica,

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it does help me some. When I call, I always say hello and introduce myself, and then I immediately ask if it's a good time. If they say no, I say that I was just calling to (talk about her upcoming show, see if she liked her products, see if she wanted to host a show, or whatever), and then ask when would be a better time to call her back. This way you don't have to wonder if she's in the middle of something, because you have asked her right away.

And, of course, you can pray first! Ask God to give you the courage and the success you're looking for. :)

Hope that helps!

I usually do ask them if its a good time to talk...i dont know how to explain it. I know how annoyed i get when my phone rings and i am busy doing something. i guess i dont want the same respons...kind of contradicting isnt it? lol!! As for praying, anytime i do a show or make phone calls me and my husband pray together that the right words will be said, protection if at a cooking class, etc. prayer always comes first!! If i could just talk to everyone in person and never have to make a phone call i would be an expert with this busines..lol!!! just kidding!!

monica_sweetconsultant said:
I am absolutely terrified of the phone!! I get sick to my stomach and start shaking when i have to call someone. its not that i mind being told no i just dont want to bother someone..interrupt dinner or putting kids to bed type thing. i can talk to someone in person so much better!! I had a long talk with my director last night and i know that is the reason i am not getting many bookings. i really need to get over this fear!! just dont know what to do. scripts dont do anything for me when because when i hear hello i panick!! hopefully it will get easier!! really nice to know i am not the only one with this problem!
Just remember if you don't call THERE is no BUSINESS!!!! I used to purchase those candy bars ( hundred thousand dollar candy bar by the phone so it encourages you to call if you want a INCOME>>> Look at it as a business..No phone NO Check!!!!
Carol Kout
Sr. Director
Iowa cakout@

Just remember... No phone calls NO INCOME!!! Place a one hundred thousand candy bar by your phone everyday and that will help you to get on the phone... No phone NO BUSINES!!! Start making the phone calls and keep it rolling for 1 hour and it goes so much easier... Plus WHAT is the worst thing that could happen???.

I can't say I am deathly afraid of the phone, I just don't like it. I have started doing 3-5 calls a day and have challanged my cluster to do the same. The results have been amazing... bookings, recruits and just good customer service.

The way I have started thinking about it is... if my favorite store was running a sale I would be thrilled if they called just to tell me something was on sale... or if they were hiring and I went in there so much they called to say... you are such a good customer, you love our stuff so much we would be honored if you would come in a fill out an application. Even if I wasn't looking for a job I would be very flattered, no matter what time they called.

I spend so much stinking money in Wal-Mart if they called just to say thank you, that would prompt me to go back (not like I need a reason) but I would be a more cheerful customer.

Also I worked for an airline in the reservations department and we had a small mirror sitting on our desk in front of our monitor and when you talk on the phone you can see how your facial expressions look, smiles are transmitted through the phone lines.

Hope this all helps,
Nanette Stapleton
Future Director
Decatur, Texas

You have a very good point! I think I am going to start calling my past hosts and customers just to Thank them for being a part of my business. At least I will feel good about making the call and then if I feel comfortable I can lead in to bookings/recruiting maybe.
Thanks!! :D
Lisa
Independent Consultant
Elk River, MN

1. How can I become more comfortable with making phone calls as a Pampered Chef consultant?

The best way to overcome a fear of the phone is to practice. Start by making a list of potential customers or hostesses and set a goal to make a certain number of calls each day. Also, try writing out a script or talking points beforehand to help you feel more prepared.

2. What are some tips for dealing with rejection or negative responses on the phone?

Remember that rejection is not a reflection of your worth as a consultant. It may simply mean that the person is not interested at the moment. Stay positive and don't take it personally. Also, try to anticipate common objections and have responses prepared.

3. How can I make my phone calls more effective and efficient?

One key to successful phone calls is to have a clear purpose for each call. Whether it's to book a party, follow up on an order, or answer a question, knowing your goal beforehand can help you stay focused and make the most of your time on the phone.

4. How can I use technology to make my phone calls easier?

There are many tools available to help make phone calls easier for consultants. Some options include using a call scheduling app to keep track of your calls, using a headset for hands-free calling, and using a customer relationship management (CRM) system to store and organize customer information.

5. How can I stay motivated and confident on the phone as a Pampered Chef consultant?

Find what works best for you to stay motivated and confident. This could be setting small achievable goals, listening to upbeat music before making calls, or practicing positive self-talk. Also, remember to celebrate your successes and don't be too hard on yourself if you have a bad call. Keep moving forward and your confidence will grow over time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Humble Beginnings
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Humble Beginnings
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Dutchess
Replies