• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unleashing Your Pet Business: Tap into the Pet Market

In summary, according to this recipe, garlic is poisonous to dogs and should not be fed to them. Additionally, garlic should not be given to puppies or to those with a pre-existing anemic condition. However, garlic can be safely used as a spice in dog food.
Barry Carlton
My wife brought this recipe home from her sub lunch lady job and it got me to thinking about how much people love their pets and what we might be able to do to tap into that market. (I know there are some flooring installers around the country marketing to pet owners with great results).Thoughts?Recipe:E-Z Doggie Biscuits4C flour
3C oatmeal
4T oil (1/4 cp)
1 egg
4T brn sugar
2C water
3T p-butter
(edited out 3 cloves of crushed garlic)Mix ingredients in together order given. Roll out dough kinda thin and cut in shapes you like. Place on greased cookie sheet. (Can be close, they don;t rise or spread)
Place in preheated 300 degree oven.
Bake 55 min.
Cool and serve. Several PC tools to use here. Maybe go to pet washing places?

Last edited:
Garlic is poisonous to dogs. Don't want to be giving that to your beloved pooch!

I was thinking about approaching the local vets and shelters with a similar idea. For Shelters it may be a great way to kick off a fundraising show...

Tropicalburstqt2 said:
Garlic is poisonous to dogs. Don't want to be giving that to your beloved pooch!

This isn't our recipe...just one shared with us by a dog lover who says her dogs looove garlic.

So, based on a quick net search and the disagreement out there, I would leave the garlic out at a show.

Tropicalburstqt2 said:

I think the answer is yes and no to doggie poison. Check out this website for hollistic dog food.

Garlic for Dogs | Is Garlic Safe for Dogs?

"Garlic has long been used as a safe medicinal plant in holistic medicine for people and pets as well. However, recently, the safety of garlic on dogs (and cats) has come under close scrutiny due to its properties as a member of the Allium genus, a branch of the lily family, along with onions and shallots.

A compound found in onions (and in lesser amount in garlic) called n-propyldisulfide can, in large doses, cause oxidative damage to red blood cells, creating Heinz bodies and triggering the body to reject these cells from the bloodstream. If large doses of this compound are ingested on a regular basis, the process can lead to Heinz-body anemia and even death.

Does that mean garlic is unsafe for dogs? Not quite. The key to safe use of garlic on dogs is the dosage level and frequency of use. For a dog to develop Heinz-body anemia, he would have to eat over 0.5% of his body weight in onions to even begin the oxidative process. It means a healthy 60-pound dog would have to eat a whole 5-oz onion, or several cloves of garlic, to start the Heinz-body process. Since red blood cells are constantly regenerated from the bone marrow, a dog would likely need to ingest this much amount of onion or garlic on a repeated basis to cause permanent harm.

However, garlic should NOT be fed to pets with a pre-existing anemic condition or to those scheduled for surgery. Also, young puppies before six to eight weeks of age should NOT be given garlic because they do not begin reproducing new blood cells until after 6-8 weeks."

Okay...let's take the garlic out of the recipe!!!What about the idea?

Does your dog not have bad enough breath without feeding him/her garlic? Mine sure does!

Anyway, I think it's a workable idea. I especially like it combined with a fundraiser for a shelter or a special program at a vets office. I know the vet we use has a program they raise money for to help people who can't afford specific pet care for their animals and they often do bake sales and things to raise money for it. This would be a differnt type of thing to offer them and should be a decent fundraiser considering they are marketing to pet owners who are willing to donate money to help others help their pets.

pcsharon1 said:
Does your dog not have bad enough breath without feeding him/her garlic? Mine sure does!
Ha Ha..tooo funny!We have one of each, both inherited from a military couple moving from Idaho to Japan. We've had them for about 2 1/2 mos. They are a kick...I mean a pain....I mean a kick...I mean.....

We are military - our poor dog has lived all over the place. Got it in Texas, moved to Virginia for a few months, moved to Germany, moved to Virginia for a few months, moved to New Jersey, moved to Colorado...............she's confused.

I made a 'doggy meatloaf' in the DCB in the microwave for a Dog Fair demonstration... it was pretty good. It had all the stuff we eat in it, just no onion, so it was a little bland for me. BUT my dog LOVED it! LOL! My DH.... not so much ;-) I think it is a good idea and a good market to get into.

Anyhow, here is the recipe I used...

Meatloaf for you AND your dog... IN MINUTES!
Ingredients:
2 raw eggs
1 pound ground venison
1/2 pound ground beef
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/8 cup rolled oats
2 carrots
1/2 cup green beans
1/4 cup fresh parsley
2 tbls plain wheat germ
1 tbls Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
12 hard-cooked eggs, shelled
1 Tablespoon Ketchup

Using Food Chopper, chop carrots and green beans. Place parsley in a 1 cup Prep Bowl and use Professional Shears to snip finely. Mix all ingredients, except hard cooked eggs and ketchup, in Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl. Spread half the mixture in bottom of Deep Covered Baker. Using the Egg Slicer Plus, slice eggs and layer over the mixture in the Baker. Cover layer of eggs with remaining meat mixture. Spread ketchup over meatloaf. Cover and Microwave on high for 14—17 minutes. When done, your Digital Thermometer should read 165 degrees.
This makes 6 servings for your pet. If vacuum-sealed, each serving can be stored for 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer. If you do not have a vacuum-sealed food storage bag system, wrap each serving very well in wax paper and aluminum foil, and then store in zippered plastic bag for no more than a week in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer.

Here's a pic of the treats using PC cookie cutters.

Attachments

• IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3535.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 384
Wonderful idea! There's definitely a market out there.

Tropicalburstqt2 said:

Never heard of garlic being poisonous for dogs? Always read that it helped with fleas.....

WendyE said:
Never heard of garlic being poisonous for dogs? Always read that it helped with fleas.....

Sorry, reponded before I saw the rest of the conversation.....

I haven't created any of my own fliers yet but am thinking along the lines of a "Pamper your Pooch" party.Any ideas? I just had a job fall through and have the next 2 days unexpectedly off. I would like to create and distribute them in this down time.

That would be fun. We always do horse treats at a camp I help with and use a ton of PC products. Of course, the under 10 crowd doesn't buy much and we don't want their moms there for camp.

This is a little corny....but I warned you I have little to no experience at creating fliers.

Feel free to change, modify, critique...and than share.

View attachment Pamper you pooch.doc

Last edited:
Hey peeps bump.gif

Cute idea -- Are potential guests allowed to bring their dogs to the show? Just imagining the chaos that would ensue with 10 owners and their dogs. I know I wouldn't want other people's dogs in my house along with the two I already have.

Maybe this would be a good thing to do at a dog park or a pet expo?

My favorite books for cooking for dogs are by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff, who also own Three Dog Bakery http://www.threedogbakery.com Long ago, they used to have a show on Food Network - you may be able to find some of their recipes there also.

Cute idea -- Are potential guests allowed to bring their dogs to the show? Just imagining the chaos that would ensue with 10 owners and their dogs. I know I wouldn't want other people's dogs in my house along with the two I already have.

Maybe this would be a good thing to do at a dog park or a pet expo?

My favorite books for cooking for dogs are by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff, who also own Three Dog Bakery http://www.threedogbakery.com Long ago, they used to have a show on Food Network - you may be able to find some of their recipes there also.

My sister saved her dog's coat by feeding it lots of garlic. The fleas and ticks left the dog alone and it quit scratching off it's fur.

Here were ones I did some time ago

.pups and .festivity were Publisher documents. enjoy!

Attachments

• Pampered Pets.doc
    28 KB · Views: 364
  • Pampered Pups.pub
    208 KB · Views: 275
  • PamperedPoochrecipes[1].doc
    48 KB · Views: 331
  • Feline Festivity.pub
    189.5 KB · Views: 270
scottcooks said:
Here were ones I did some time ago

.pups and .festivity were Publisher documents. enjoy!

Love your P-nut butter honey recipe

Do you have a recipe for the Felines?

I think it's a great idea, and the recipe looks pretty basic.

Garlic is not toxic for dogs,it's actually very good for digestion and keeping your dog worm free. I feed my dogs a raw diet with garlic and they love it.
(Oh just an FYI, the commercial dog food you feed your dog can be what's causing them to have bad breath)

Onions, raw salmon, raisin or grapes, macadamia nuts, sugar, chocolate are all No no's for dogs. otherwise?

Interesting idea we have LOTS of dog lovers here where I live too.

Never thought of that before.

:)

Darlene

Last edited:
I think it is a good idea. Pampered pets is big business now days. They also have
a DS company doing demo's for the pet who has everything. You can put your flyers
in the Doggie Day Care's around town. I'm sure the Vet's in you area would let you put
something on their bulletin board. I know our Vet's office has a bulletin board with all
kinds of things going on in our area for their pets.

What is "Unleashing Your Pet Business: Tap into the Pet Market"?

"Unleashing Your Pet Business: Tap into the Pet Market" is a program designed to help pet business owners and entrepreneurs tap into the growing pet market. It provides strategies and tips for marketing, branding, and growing your business in the pet industry.

Who is this program for?

This program is for anyone who owns a pet business or is interested in starting one. It is especially helpful for small business owners, entrepreneurs, and independent consultants in the pet industry.

What can I expect to learn from this program?

Through "Unleashing Your Pet Business: Tap into the Pet Market", you can expect to learn how to effectively market your pet business, create a strong brand, and attract more customers. You will also gain insights on industry trends and strategies for staying competitive in the pet market.

Is this program only for Pampered Chef consultants?

No, this program is open to anyone in the pet industry. While it is brought to you by Pampered Chef, the tips and strategies can be applied to any pet business.

Are there any additional costs for this program?

No, this program is completely free for Pampered Chef consultants. However, non-consultants may have to pay a small fee to access the program materials.

Back