• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Indulge in a Delicious Peanut Butter Lava Cake Recipe

In summary, the conversation is about making a chocolate and peanut butter lava cake. The suggested recipe includes using a whole can of chocolate frosting and 2-3 scoops of peanut butter, placing the blobs of each on top of the batter. The cake can be cooked in a rice cooker or a Deep Covered Baker (DCB). In the DCB, it should be cooked for 11-13 minutes and then rested for 15 minutes before serving. Some people prefer to turn the cake out for a "lava effect," but it can also be served directly from the DCB. The conversation also includes suggestions for adding candy or ice cream to the cake and flipping it out of the pan for a prettier presentation.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Someone suggested this - do you use peanut butter in place of the frosting or do you use a little of each?

I put the whole can of chocolate frosting then 2-3 scoops of peanut butter.

Sorry!! I haven't had a chance to come back online till just now. :blushing:Yep, like pchockeymom says, I do the whole can--or just about the whole can. I use the medium scoop and place blobs of it over the top surface of the batter. Then I measure 1 cup of creamy peanut butter in the measure-all cup and then use the scoop to place those blobs in between the chocolate blobs.

my stomach is growling!

I've been trying to figure out my recipes for next season - it's making me really hungry!

babywings76 said:
Sorry!! I haven't had a chance to come back online till just now. :blushing:

Yep, like pchockeymom says, I do the whole can--or just about the whole can. I use the medium scoop and place blobs of it over the top surface of the batter. Then I measure 1 cup of creamy peanut butter in the measure-all cup and then use the scoop to place those blobs in between the chocolate blobs.

I can't tell you how wonderfully sinfully good this sounds! Will have to test it tomorrow and maybe do it at my show on Sunday...

It's fabulous! I've made it several times for shows and it's a huge hit! Tastes like a big warm reese cup!

babywings76 said:
Sorry!! I haven't had a chance to come back online till just now. :blushing:

Yep, like pchockeymom says, I do the whole can--or just about the whole can. I use the medium scoop and place blobs of it over the top surface of the batter. Then I measure 1 cup of creamy peanut butter in the measure-all cup and then use the scoop to place those blobs in between the chocolate blobs.

I haven't done the lava cake in the DCB, only in the rice cooker. How long do you cook it in the DCB? Do you flip it out like you do when using the rice cooker? This sounds too good not to try!

Then after you flip it out of the rice cooker chop up some. Candy to add to the top , now that's really a lava cake at its best

ChefBevShu said:
I haven't done the lava cake in the DCB, only in the rice cooker. How long do you cook it in the DCB? Do you flip it out like you do when using the rice cooker? This sounds too good not to try!

I cook it 11-13 minutes. Then I let it rest for about 15 minutes. I don't turn it out because it's great served in the DCB. It's not quite the "lava cake" effect, but when you dish it out, you scoop up the drippy sauce and it's all good. I tell people you can turn it out if you want the lava effect, but with the DCB it's pretty just in there. Then you can just put the lid back on to cover up the left-overs.

Make sure you have some ice cream to serve with it!

Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge Cake and Chocolate Fudge Frosting, along with the peanut butter - this makes the very best Choc. Peanut Butter Lava Cake!

I need a glass of milk just READING about this cake. My DH and kids would be in heaven!

Do you keep the lid on when you are waiting the 15 min for it to cool?

babywings76 said:
I cook it 11-13 minutes. Then I let it rest for about 15 minutes. I don't turn it out because it's great served in the DCB. It's not quite the "lava cake" effect, but when you dish it out, you scoop up the drippy sauce and it's all good. I tell people you can turn it out if you want the lava effect, but with the DCB it's pretty just in there. Then you can just put the lid back on to cover up the left-overs.

So if I make this in the Fluted Stone, I can flip it over? TIA :D

terimayo said:
Do you keep the lid on when you are waiting the 15 min for it to cool?

When it comes out, I take the lid off to release the steam. Let it sit uncovered for the 15 minutes or so.

Ginger428 said:
So if I make this in the Fluted Stone, I can flip it over? TIA :D

Yep, you can flip it out and it'll look pretty! :)

You can flip the DCB shaped one, too, but I personally think it doesn't look that pretty because of it's shape. It also requires a large rectangular platter with edges so it doesn't run out all over the place. The DCB is such a pretty stone, so I think it's best to just serve it in there. ;)

I make this at most of my shows in the Fluted pan and I usually sell a couple of those at each show! I just bring the cake mix and frosting and make this as a gift to the host for having the show. I do flip it it over onto a large platter and the chocolate runs down the sides. I am going to try the peanut butter version tomorrow! That sounds amazing.

babywings76 said:
When it comes out, I take the lid off to release the steam. Let it sit uncovered for the 15 minutes or so.

I accidentally baked the rocky road brownie with the lid on and the brownie was soggy from the moisture dripping back on it. Maybe it was the shorter cooking time but you don't have any problems with the DCB lid with this cake?

babywings76 said:

Yep, you can flip it out and it'll look pretty! :)

You can flip the DCB shaped one, too, but I personally think it doesn't look that pretty because of it's shape. It also requires a large rectangular platter with edges so it doesn't run out all over the place. The DCB is such a pretty stone, so I think it's best to just serve it in there. ;)

OMG!! I can't wait to try it!!!

Oooh, I want to make this! I need some ice cream and choc. peanut butter lava cake now!!! LOL

wadesgirl said:
I accidentally baked the rocky road brownie with the lid on and the brownie was soggy from the moisture dripping back on it. Maybe it was the shorter cooking time but you don't have any problems with the DCB lid with this cake?

I haven't had any problems with keeping the lid on during the microwave time. But I take the lid off immediately after it's done so the condensation on the lid doesn't drip down on it and to let the steam from the cake escape.

I know others do this with the lid off, so I should try that and see if I notice a difference. You do it uncovered if it's in a fluted stone, so it makes sense that it would be fine w/o the lid for this, too. I'm just in the habit of using the lid for everything I guess. ;)

I might have to try it this weekend when I'm with my nieces and nephew! I've really only made the lava cake once (at a party) in the rice cooker. It didn't turn out well because it didn't all come out of the cooker!

I think I just gained 3 lbs from reading this post, & I have to weigh in at Weight Watcher's tonight!!

Help! What did I do wrong? Used the fluted stone, baked for 12 minutes, took out and flipped onto SA large round platter and let stone rest for 15 minutes. Took off, some cake stuck in stone (I had even greased with oil and basting brush). Looked good but we didn't have time to eat it before we had to leave. When we came back 3 hours later, it was as hard as a rock!! Any thoughts? Thanks.

BarbaraF said:
Help! What did I do wrong? Used the fluted stone, baked for 12 minutes, took out and flipped onto SA large round platter and let stone rest for 15 minutes. Took off, some cake stuck in stone (I had even greased with oil and basting brush). Looked good but we didn't have time to eat it before we had to leave. When we came back 3 hours later, it was as hard as a rock!! Any thoughts? Thanks.

My experience with cakes done in the microwave is that they are only good when eaten immediately. After that, they aren't good.

Someone asked me can we do a brownie Mix in the Rice Cooker Plus. Anyone had any experience with this?

The other question I had was if you could use homemade icing in the lava cakes. She specifically asked about homemade butter cream. Thank you for your advice.

I don't have luck with Brownies. They always get hard! I don't have trouble with the 3-2-1 miracle cake in the DCB though. It stays very fresh =) I don't add icing until after the cake is cooked, so you could easily use homemade butter cream =)

jen, when you add your icing after the cake is done do you just spread the icing on top in the DCB? We were doing the cake in the rice cooker so the icing was plopped in before microwaving. This is what the customer was wanting to know about, using her homemade icing on top in the RCP then microwave. What about that?

looked for 123 cake directions...the flyer I found did not have much info. can anyone past it in this thread?

When I do the rice cooker, I don't add icing. I always do it on top =) and yes, I put the icing on top after the cake is cooked and it soaks in.

After letting the icing soak in, do you flip the cake onto a plate for the lava effect?

I don't. With the rice cooker, I flip the cake and let the icing drip down the sides. In the DCB I just put the icing on top and serve. The lava cake is too messy for me =) The dripping down the side is much better in my opinion =)

I use the whole can of frosting and scoop it out with the med. scoop as mentioned above. Then I use the small scoop to scoop the peanut butter out of the jar. I prepare the whole thing while they're going around for introductions. I'm bringing it back for my pre Valentines Day shows.

DebPC said:
I use the whole can of frosting and scoop it out with the med. scoop as mentioned above. Then I use the small scoop to scoop the peanut butter out of the jar. I prepare the whole thing while they're going around for introductions. I'm bringing it back for my pre Valentines Day shows.

How much PB do you use Deb?

About a cup and it must be the creamy.

DebPC said:
About a cup and it must be the creamy.

thanks! My fave micro cake is the Peanutty Chocolate Cake that you make in the Fluted Stone (the one with the Resses Cups inside....so good!) I bet this one will be just about as good!

pamperedlinda said:
thanks! My fave micro cake is the Peanutty Chocolate Cake that you make in the Fluted Stone (the one with the Resses Cups inside....so good!) I bet this one will be just about as good!

Details, PLEASE! :D :love:

babywings76 said:
Details, PLEASE! :D :love:

Here you go Amanda....

PEANUTTY CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 package (18.25 oz) devil’s food cake mix
1 container (16 oz) sour cream
3 eggs
9 peanut butter cup candies (0.6 oz each)
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup (3 oz) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons peanuts, chopped

Lightly spray Stoneware Fluted Pan with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer or brush with vegetable oil using Pastry Brush. Place cake mix in Classic Batter Bowl. In Small Batter Bowl, combine sour cream and eggs; whisk until smooth using Stainless Steel Whisk. Add sour cream mixture to cake mix; mix until smooth using Mix ‘N Scraper®. Using Large Scoop, place 12 scoops of batter into bottom of pan; spread evenly. Arrange peanut butter cup candies in a circular pattern over batter. Top with remaining batter, spreading evenly. Microwave cake on HIGH 11-14 minutes or until Cake Tester inserted near center comes out clean. (Cake will be slightly moist on top near center.) Remove to Stackable Cooling Rack; let stand 10 minutes Loosen cake from sides of pan. Carefully invert cake onto Round Platter. Place peanut butter in Small Micro-Cooker®. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted; stir until smooth using Skinny Scraper. Pour peanut butter evenly over top of cake, allowing it to drip down sides. Place chocolate morsels and oil in same micro-cooker. Microwave on HIGH 20-40 seconds or until melted and smooth. Drizzle chocolate evenly over peanut butter topping. Coarsely chop peanuts using Food Chopper; sprinkle over top of cake. Slice and serve using Slice ‘N Serve®.

Yield 12 servings or 20 sample servings

Note: If using a microwave oven without a built-in turntable, rotate cake after 6 minutes of cooking.

TIP: To bake in a conventional oven, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 40-45 minutes or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean.

I'm thinking of making this today for a ladies pot-luck. I only have the RCB. Would I just half the recipe and cooking time?

1. Can I use peanut butter instead of frosting in this recipe?

Yes, you can definitely use peanut butter instead of frosting in this peanut butter lava cake recipe. It will give the cake a rich and nutty flavor.

2. Do I need to use a specific type of peanut butter for this recipe?

No, you can use any type of peanut butter you prefer. Creamy or crunchy will both work well in this recipe.

3. How much peanut butter should I use in place of the frosting?

The amount of peanut butter you use will depend on your personal preference. Start with about 1/4 cup and adjust to taste.

4. Can I use both peanut butter and frosting in this recipe?

Yes, you can use a combination of both peanut butter and frosting in this recipe. This will add even more flavor and richness to the cake.

5. Is this recipe gluten-free?

It depends on the ingredients you use. If you use gluten-free flour and make sure all other ingredients are gluten-free, this recipe can be made gluten-free.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cheflorraine
  • wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
Admin Greg