• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Father's Day Gift Idea: DIY BBQ Sauce in a Jar!

In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, juniper berries, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, paprika, and cumin. Season salmon with half of the spice mixture. Place salmon in a resealable bag and add remaining spice mixture. Seal bag and shake to coat. Place salmon on a wire rack in a baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. In summary, Erica came up with a great idea for Father's Day gifts. She found a recipe for a barbeque sauce on marthastewart.com and was going to make some and put it in a jar with a gift tag that said "to dad." She also had an idea for a pastry
kitchenqueen
HI Everyone

I had an idea for my shows before Father's Day (June 19th) and thought I'd share it

I found a recipe (marthastewart.com) for a barbeque sauce. I was going to make some of this sauce, put it in a jar and tie one of our pastry brushes around it with a gift tag "to dad" on it. I would use this as a display and maybe sell a few pastry brushes or get some whells turning for father's day presents along with the host special for this month. It's sopmething small but this doesn't have to be for just dad...they would make cute hostess gifts for summer gatherings too!! :D Here is the recipe I have - and really you can use any recipe, even family recipes. Since I am quite new to PC, I'm not sure if PC has a recipe, if so, could anyone post it? Many Thanks!

Makes 1 1/4 Quarts

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
2 canned chipotle chiles packed in adobe sauce, minced, or
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.

2. Stir in tomatoes, chiles, Worcestershire, vinegar, and molasses. Simmer until reduced by a third, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.

3. Working in batches, purée sauce in a blender. Season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate in a jar up to 2 weeks.

ENJOY!!
~Erica :)

Great Idea!! I will have to try that one:)
Sanne

Careful not to either (a) make too much food for a show, or (b) offer something to the customers beyond TPC - remember to keep the focus on the products, not on the food. Food is a means to an end (sales) not the other way around. My upline exec.director put it bluntly - you're not a caterer!! Good luck; take care.

Just thought I'd add...Hi Scott - Thanks for the feedback! Your upline director is completely right about us not being caterers, which is why I normally have 1-2 recipes that I demo (depending on the show). Unfortunately, some still like to think of us as caterers! :rolleyes: Having too many demos is not alays a good idea either - I agree!

The Pastry Brush idea was a gift idea for Father's Day in June, and the BBQ recipe was just an extra. I did not demo the sauce. I had copies of the BBQ recipe for people to take home with them. And those who did order the pastry brush I included the recipe with their receipt. Living in the south, people here take their BBQ skills seriously ;) and making marinades and sauces is quite popular.

I should have added after June that I sold 9 pastry brushes! So since then, for upcoming holidays or special days, I've been coming up with my own gift ideas and/or packages. For expample, for Grandparents Day coming up this 11th of September, I have had the jar opener and trivets out for people to spark that interest of sending a gift to grammy along with their own order. So far, I've sold 4 jar openers this month. I like to think it is adding to my sales! ;)

Barbecue RecipesCOOL! Way to go on "upping" sales with it. I have some awesome recipes for dry rubs, basic barbecue sauce (similar to yours) and hot barbecue sauce. I'm going to offer them with the products too - it's what Christie Northrup (the Lemonaid Lady) would call low cost high value benefits to customers.

The recipes came from a "best recipes from state fairs" book. BTW I have tried them all. My favorite is the Salmon recipe, then the Spicy BBQ sauce, the Brisket Marinade, then the chicken rub... all are GREAT!

SUGAR SPICED ALASKAN SALMON RUB (this recipe makes enough rub for 24 servings; maybe cut it in half.)

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground Juniper Berries - you can order them online
http://www.a1spiceworld.com/juniper_berries.html
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup kosher salt

Mix all dry ingredients. Pan fry Salmon with spritz of oil over medium heat, or bake on 350 degree stoneware until just finished. Sugar will carmelize; let it -it dissolves in hot water later. This is great on all fish! Don't overcook!

CHICKEN RUB
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion salt
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
Two 3-to 4-lb roasting chickens
Rub mixture all over chickens, cover & refrigerate 1 hour. Grill on rotisserie or over cone of stoneware fluted pan.

option to get awesome smoky flavor...
4 cups hickory, apple, or mesquite wood chips - soaked in water for 20-30 mins.
Place chips in bottom of stoneware fluted pan, place chicken on cone of fluted pan & roast 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours at 325. two chickens? One on roaster, one on a mini baker next to it with a beer bottle in the center to spike the chicken on. Yes, you can leave 1/2 the beer in the bottle to steam the chicken, too!

PORK /RIBS RUB

2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3-4 lbs ribs (or pork roast).

Rub mixture all over meat, cover & refrigerate 2 hours. Ribs left this way are Memphis style - dry rub. Sauce options follow:

MELLOW BARBECUE SAUCE

3/4 cup finely chopped onion (minced)
2 cloves pressed garlic
1 Tbsp corn oil
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
1/3 cup rum, whiskey or pineapple juice
1/3 cup clover honey
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp chilli powder

Cook onion and garlic in oil until clarified, remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, about 15 minutes to reduce. Remove from heat. Reserve 1/3 of the sauce to pass with cooked meat. Baste liberally during end of cooking with remaining 2/3 of sauce.

SPICY BARBECUE SAUCE

2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 pressed garlic cloves
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup Spicy Ketchup (Heinz Hot & Spicy Kick'rs)
(opt. 1 tbsp Liquid Smoke)
2 tsp ground mustard
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Saute onions and garlic in butter until clarified. Stir in other ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Reserve 1/3 of the sauce to pass with cooked meat. Baste liberally during end of cooking with remaining 2/3 of sauce.

BRISKET MARINADE (or Tri-tip, or Flank Steak-strike both sides 8-10 times with meat tenderizer)

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp chilli powder

Mix all ingredients with wire whisk. Reserve 1/4 of marinade. Using remaining, marinade 2-4 lbs of meat for 1-4 hours. After searing both sides of meat on high heat, reduce heat to low and grill until done. Brush marinade liberally during cooking, especially in last 10 minutes.

1 Tbsp corn starch
2 Tbsp hot water
reserved marinade

Whisk corn starch and hot water in with remaining marinade. Heat to boiling, remove from heat. Stir as it thickens. Serve with cooked meat. (if sauce becomes too thick, add hot water 1 tsp at a time and whisk until it reaches desired consistency)

Good luck; happy barbecuing!

Thanks!OH MY GOSH!! Those are wonderful Scott, thanks for sharing!! I am definitely putting those in my recipe file so I can share those with some of my customers! :D :D

What ingredients do I need to make the DIY BBQ sauce?

You will need ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder.

How long will the DIY BBQ sauce last?

If stored in an airtight jar in the refrigerator, the BBQ sauce can last for up to 2 weeks.

Can I customize the recipe to my liking?

Yes, feel free to adjust the amounts of each ingredient to suit your taste preferences. You can also add in additional spices or hot sauce for extra flavor.

What size jar should I use for the BBQ sauce?

A 16 oz Mason jar works well for this recipe. However, you can use any size jar as long as it is large enough to hold the sauce.

Can I use this BBQ sauce as a marinade?

Yes, you can use this DIY BBQ sauce as a marinade for meats or vegetables. Simply coat the food in the sauce and let it sit for at least an hour before grilling.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
iteachncook
  • NooraK
  • Products and Tips
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
Tracy99