• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Parmesan Cheese: 3/4 Cup or 3 Oz?

In summary, Ann and Diane were talking about how cheese is measured. Ann said that typically 3 oz. of shredded cheese will be about 3/4 cup. Diane said that sometimes volume is affected by how much air is introduced when shredding, whipping, scooping, etc. Ann said that sometimes weight is more accurate. Diane said that if the size of your shred throws off the volume measurement, the weight will still be the same. Ann and Diane were discussing how cheese is measured and how it is better to go by weight.
JAE
If a recipe calls for 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, and in parenthesis it says (3 oz) does that mean when I weigh the cheese it should weigh 3 oz even if it's way more than 3/4 cup?

Yes. Typically 3 oz. of shredded cheese will be about 3/4 cup. If yours is way off, use the smaller amount if you like things less cheesy and use the larger amount if you like it really cheesy.

Thanks Ann
I was going to just PM you, but it was quicker to post a new thread this time. The amount looks like almost 2 cups! I shredded it with the MAG. I weighed it on the old scale from PC first.

That's why. The super-fine shreds take up more room. It's the same amount of cheese, but it'll melt easier.

I always say lean towards the side of MORE CHEESE myself!:blushing:

I'm with you Kelly;)

Everyone loved the pizza dip with the bread wreath. Ann, thanks for the cheese help, and thanks for the recipe.

You're welcome. :)And, actually, I realized in the middle of the night that you should go by weight, because that's more accurate. (Learned that from Good Eats.) If the size of your shred throws off the volume measurement, the weight will still be the same. I don't know where my head was yesterday. :rolleyes:

Ann... Your head is ALWAYS right in the game! You're the best!

Aw, shucks, Diane. Thanks.

When measuring it's always better to go with weight. Volume is affected my how much air is introduced when shredding, whipping, scooping, etc. It's especially important when measuring flour.

I forgot to say that I only used about half of the 3 oz, and then I left out about 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. It was fine. It seemed like way too much.

JAE said:
I forgot to say that I only used about half of the 3 oz, and then I left out about 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. It was fine. It seemed like way too much.

Somehow with cheese I never seem to say Cheese and too much in the same sentence!!!!!!!!

quiverfull7 said:
Ann... Your head is ALWAYS right in the game! You're the best!
I'm with you! Ann is always the one of the very first people I think of when I have a question that is stumping me and if by some odd chance she gets stumped, then I'm really screwed!!!!!;) :D

And back to the original reason for the thread, it is always by weight. The same thing goes with our original cookie press recipe, go by weight not volume:chef: and I'm with everyone else who says you can never have too much cheese!!!! Especially Parmesan, dang I LOVE :love: this cheese. Especially with whole roasted garlic, hot french bread, our garlic oil or Olive oil, and a little bit of our Italian seasoning! Oh and a nice glass of wine!!!!!! :D I could eat it for dinner and nothing else!!!!!!!!!! My hubby feels the same way! I had a few oil dipping shows back when we first came out with the set and they were good, my problem was that I could barely focus on the show, because I was drooling over what was being eaten!!!
In fact I think I will do this, this coming weekend because I bought a big bag of garlic at Thanksgiving and then my shows slowed down and I don't want the garlic to go bad, (heaven forbid!:eek: ;) )
And I won't forget the wine either!;)

1. How do I measure 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese?

To measure 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, fill a measuring cup with 3/4 cup of cheese and use a spatula or knife to level off the top.

2. Can I substitute 3 oz of Parmesan cheese for 3/4 cup?

Yes, 3 oz of Parmesan cheese is equivalent to 3/4 cup. You can use either measurement in a recipe, but make sure to measure accurately for best results.

3. Can I use pre-shredded Parmesan cheese instead of grating my own?

Yes, you can use pre-shredded Parmesan cheese for convenience. However, freshly grated cheese will have a better flavor and texture.

4. How should I store 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese?

3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks, but for best quality, use within 1 week after opening.

5. Is Parmesan cheese the same as Parmigiano Reggiano?

No, they are not the same. Parmigiano Reggiano is a specific type of Parmesan cheese that is made in a specific region of Italy. However, they can be used interchangeably in recipes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PamperedchefDaly
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • janetupnorth
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies