• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Wax Paper or Parchment Paper: What's the Difference?

no sticking!And another great use for parchment paper is for lining the bottom of a baking pan before you start baking your cake or pie. This way, you'll never have chunks of cake or pie missing because it's stuck to the bottom of the pan!Again, I highly recommend investing in parchment paper if you're going to be baking on your stone!
clshirk
Ok, so how can I convince people to buy parchment paper from PC vs Walmart/grocery store? What makes it worth $7.25 per roll?

And here's my second dumb question, what's the difference between wax and parchment paper? I bought wax paper to do some things for myself and realize it falls apart really easy- I don't understand why.
This is information I can use in my show too.

Wax paper can burn in the oven! You can bake with parchment....

I did one of the peanutty brownie on the round stone as one of my first recipes EVER. I used wax paper because it's all I had and it says on teh box that you can bake with it. Well, the problem was it virtually MELTED into my brownie! What a MESS! GLad I practiced before my show, lol! I bought parchment paper from Walmart and don't have the PC stuff, so no idea what the difference may be, but interested to find out!

Parchment paper is actually coated with SILICONE for a non-stick cooking surface. You can bake cookies on your stone on parchment...while they are baking, start scooping out cookies onto another piece of parchment that will fit on the stone...slide the (hot baked) cookies off onto a cooling rack, and then slide the parchment paper with dough right back onto the stone and back into the oven.

You can also bake fish/chicken and veggies inside a little parchment "bag" (called en papillote, which is pronounceD IN PAPPY-YOTE) for a VERY moist dinner...with NO CLEANUP!! I will look to see if I can find some info about that for you.

Wax paper isn't made for baking...more for dividing layers of cookies in a box or things like that. I have had my wax paper for probably ten years and hardly ever use it, but my parchment I use all of the time.

OH! Also, you can line your baking pans with parchment on the bottom only when making a cake and you will never have chunks of cake missing because it is stuck to the bottom of the pan! I just made a pound cake for my trifle demo tonight in the SBP and lined it with parchment so it would come out with no hassle. Also when making brownies , if you line your pan with parchment and come up the sides, once they are cooled you can "lift" them out and cut them on your cutting board!

If you are doing a brownie pizza on the Large Round stone, you must use parchment on the stone or else it will spread out too much and make a mess in your oven!

Not sure if it's really necessary to buy the PC parchment...but it does have 45 FEET of paper....which is probably more than what's in grocery store packages! Ours is also heat safe to 450 degrees..not sure about others.

HTH

Thanks sooo much for the explanation and ideas!! I now love parchment paper and I"ve only read your details!

The DVD we got at the beginning of the season (I think it's the one that came free in our first supply order) has a feature on the parchment paper, and shows some great uses for it. I'd check it out if you have the video.

Ooh, and I forgot to add, my favorite use for the parchment paper is for lining the bar pan before cooking bacon. Then I can cook my bacon in the oven, and crumble up the paper and throw it away, and there's no mess!

Okay, so your question about parchment vs wax paper has been answered. As for why to buy from PC and not Wal-Mart, unless it's on sale or you have a really good coupon, our is cheaper per foot. I did a comparison once. Even with shipping, it's a better deal.

KellyTheChef said:
Parchment paper is actually coated with SILICONE for a non-stick cooking surface. You can bake cookies on your stone on parchment...
HTH

:eek: Why would you even want to bake on your stone using the parchment paper?? You wouldn't be able to get your stone seasoned this way! :p

True, it wouldn't season your stone, but it still retains all the properties of your stoneware--specifically the porousness.

I LOVE using the parchment on the stones for cookies as well. It's so nice to quickly be able to move the baked on off and the raw ones on... speeds things up so nicely... it's also great for the ease of getting the cookies off the stone to cool and yet not technically "moving" them with a spatula.

quiverfull7 said:
it's also great for the ease of getting the cookies off the stone to cool and yet not technically "moving" them with a spatula.

LOL- one less thing to clean.
Ok, I'll do the price comparison too to make sure the prices aren't different, but if you're right- that's a great deal- it's like buying in bulk!

hoosierchef said:
:eek: Why would you even want to bake on your stone using the parchment paper?? You wouldn't be able to get your stone seasoned this way! :p
(1) It's quicker...you can portion cookies onto the parchment while your stone is in the oven baking a different set of cookies
(2) If you have ever tried to bake cookies w/o this method, once the stone is heated up after the first batch, it causes the cookie batter to start to melt as soon as you start scooping them on. Then, the first couple of cookies you did are halfway melted and warm before you even put it into the oven. So, they don't all cook evenly since some of them got a head start from the heat of the stone. (I hope that makes sense...)

No, it won't season your stone...but they will still bake evenly since the baking properties of the stone work even with the parchement paper!

wow i always thought parchment paper was a waste of money, i didnt see any point in buying it, but i think you girls talked me into it LOL

Wax paper is also for baking although it does tend to smoke if you dont trim it. I use it when I make a jelly roll and also German chocolate cake. You need to use it in a regular baking pan though- not on a stone because the wax will melt off.

abrahamlaur said:
wow i always thought parchment paper was a waste of money, i didnt see any point in buying it, but i think you girls talked me into it LOL
I love makeing jelly rolls or the omelet roll on the bar pan, and the parchment paper is a must. My stones are very seasoned so it would be fine to use the paper. Every once in a while a recipe calls for parchment paper in the bottom of a cake pan or cheese cake pan. Not useless, very helpful

Everyone said everything about it all ready but don't forget our Parchment Paper is also 100% unbleached. Also, on the box of PC Parchment Paper there are tons of ideas for how to use it as well!

1. What is the difference between parchment paper and wax paper?

While both parchment paper and wax paper are commonly used for baking and cooking, they have distinct differences. Parchment paper is made from silicone-treated paper, making it non-stick and heat-resistant, while wax paper is coated with a thin layer of wax, making it non-stick but not heat-resistant.

2. Can I use parchment paper and wax paper interchangeably?

No, parchment paper and wax paper cannot be used interchangeably. Parchment paper can withstand higher temperatures and is ideal for baking, roasting, and steaming, while wax paper is not heat-resistant and should not be used in the oven.

3. Can I use parchment paper in the microwave?

Yes, parchment paper is safe to use in the microwave. It can be used to cover food or as a liner for microwave-safe dishes. However, make sure to use parchment paper specifically labeled as microwave-safe.

4. Is parchment paper environmentally friendly?

Yes, parchment paper is considered environmentally friendly as it is biodegradable and can be composted. It is also chlorine-free and does not contain any harmful chemicals.

5. Can I reuse parchment paper?

It is not recommended to reuse parchment paper as it can become brittle and may not provide the same non-stick properties after being used. It is best to use a new sheet of parchment paper for each use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
Replies
Views
yazcrom