• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

MSG in Pantry Items: Facts and Information | TIA

In summary, MSG, or monosodium glutamate, is a flavor enhancer commonly used in processed and packaged foods to enhance the savory or umami taste. It is made from the sodium salt of glutamic acid, a naturally occurring amino acid. The FDA has deemed MSG safe to consume, although some individuals may experience mild side effects. Pantry items that often contain MSG include canned soups, broths, bouillon cubes, seasoning mixes, and processed meats. However, there are alternatives to using MSG, such as natural flavor enhancers and herbs and spices. Unfortunately, MSG may not always be listed as a separate ingredient on food labels, so it is important to check for other names like glutamic acid or look for products labeled
mrshamel3808
Gold Member
I have a recruit who asked me if our pantry items contained MSG and didn't know where to find this info. Does anyone know? TIA

It can't possibly have msg. If it did it'd be on the label with the ingredients. I've never noticed it. I'm referring to the rubs. The sauces may be a different story.

I am actually allergic to MSG so I had my conultant (now my team leader) check into this. She called HO and they said no MSG in any pantry items.

What is MSG and why is it used in pantry items?

MSG, or monosodium glutamate, is a flavor enhancer commonly used in processed and packaged foods. It is made up of the sodium salt of glutamic acid, an amino acid found naturally in many foods. MSG is added to pantry items to enhance the savory or umami taste of the food.

Is MSG safe to consume?

Yes, MSG is safe to consume. The FDA has classified MSG as a generally recognized as safe (GRAS) ingredient. However, some people may experience mild side effects such as headache or nausea after consuming MSG. These reactions are rare and typically occur in individuals who are sensitive to high levels of glutamate.

Which pantry items typically contain MSG?

Pantry items that commonly contain MSG include canned soups, broths, bouillon cubes, seasoning mixes, and processed meats. However, MSG can also be found in some unexpected foods such as soy sauce, tomato sauce, and snack foods like chips and crackers.

Are there any alternatives to using MSG in pantry items?

Yes, there are alternatives to using MSG in pantry items. Some manufacturers use natural flavor enhancers such as yeast extract or hydrolyzed vegetable protein. Additionally, using herbs, spices, and other seasonings can also enhance the flavor of pantry items without the use of MSG.

How can I identify if a pantry item contains MSG?

Unfortunately, MSG may not always be listed as a separate ingredient on food labels. It may be listed under other names such as glutamic acid, autolyzed yeast extract, or hydrolyzed vegetable protein. However, if you are concerned about consuming MSG, we recommend checking the ingredient list for any of these terms or looking for products labeled as "MSG-free".

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
Happy Mom
  • PamperedMandy2010
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
JulieHaak