• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Create Healthy Homemade Pet Food with PC Tools: Delicious Doggy Cookie Recipe

In summary, pet food recalls are in the news and it wouldn't be a great idea to show people how to make homemade pet food using all the great tools PC has to offer. Some people believe that store bought food is the best way to go, while others believe that homemade food is better. There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument, but in the end, it is up to the individual to decide what is best for their pet.
Francine
With all of the pet food recalls in the news lately wouldn't be a great idea to show people how to make homemade pet food using all the great tools PC has to offer? I don't have any pets but I thought that I should flot the idea around in case someone could really benefit from this. For example you could demo a doggy cookie.

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 cup chopped cooked chicken livers
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cup canned mixed vegetables, mashed
Directions

Combine flour and cornmeal.
In a separate bowl, beat egg with the oil; add broth and parsley, mixing well.

Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing well. Add the chicken livers and mix well.

Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness and cut into desired shapes.

Bake at 400*F for 15 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in refrigerator.
Hope this can help

I think this is an awesome ideaI love it!

Rachel Ray's mag has a doggie treat recipe in each issue. I'm sure they could be made with pc products too.

Here's her truffle recipe from this month's mag:

Jessica Gorman's Olive oil and Bacon Truffles

1/2 lb bacon
3 1/2 cups whole weat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup beaf broth
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheet with foil. In lg skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp (about 10 minutes). Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Let cool slightly, then crumble. In lg bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, and crumbled bacon. In lg measuring cup, stir together 1 and 1/3 cup warm water and the broth and pour into the dry ingredients. Add the oil and stir together to form loose dough. Knead on a work surface until smooth.

Divide the dough into balls of the appropriate size for your dog (about 1 inch for lg dogs and 1/2 inch for small dogs) and set on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with reserved bacon grease. Bake until firm to touch, 35 to 45 minutes and let cool completely.

I make homemade dog biscuits for my parrots. They love them. Here's my recipe:

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
6 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups broth (my parrots like chicken best, but I've also used beef)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg

Mix to combine. Roll out to 1/4" thick and cut. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350F.

I roll mine a little thinner, then cut them into squares with the pizza cutter, making them about 3/4 to 1 inch square. They're usually done baking in about 30 minutes, but you do have to make sure they are done all the way through. They should dry out in the middle. If there's moisture left in them, they will grow mold during extended storage.

I think it's a good idea, but you may just want to stick with doggie treats. I say that because as a kitty momma myself, I've looked into making his food - it's not an easy task. There are so many vitamins and supplements involved that are needed to make it truly healthy for them. Yes, you can cook chicken and rice and such and mix it all together, but for it to have the benefits that purchased food has, you need the supplements. Just my 2 cents!!

I have heard both sidesI have talked to pet trainers and breeders who would disagree that store bought food is the best way to go. I was told and agree that many times what is in store bought pet food contains artificial flavors, colors, and what most people don't know is that food that is not fit for consumption by humans is usually used to make pet food.

I am not coming against your concern for nutrients and what's best for our pets, especially when you pay a couple hundred for a pet that becomes part of the family, but I have read, link at the bottom, some really interesting articles and talked to breeders that agree homemade food is better than store bought food. One of which I have placed at the bottom. Good veggies and meats can give us all the nutrition we need if we have a well balanced diet.

I think pet food companies spend more money on marketing and advertisments than they do on the actual nutrition or freshness in pet foods.

http://www.api4animals.org/facts?p=359&more=1cat=286

Debbie :D

I make all of the food for our 3 dogs (2 labs & a mastiff/boxer mix) and 6 cats which includes all meals and treats. Alot of time is saved by me using a few PC products. I tell ya I'm looking forward to the Fed Ex guy to drop off my mid season products and put that 8qt SS bowl to good use.

that would actually be a great show to get more bookings. you could advertize it at shelters, vets, petco or something. at a shelter you can do a flier that says, adopt a pet and get a free doggy cooking show!

wow i think i might try that! maybe i'll try making some treats for our english bull dog .. he would love that! i think you might have tapped into an untapped area there! good job!

What ingredients do I need to make the Delicious Doggy Cookie Recipe?

To make the Delicious Doggy Cookie Recipe, you will need whole wheat flour, rolled oats, peanut butter, honey, and chicken or beef broth.

Can I substitute any ingredients in the recipe?

Yes, you can substitute the peanut butter with almond butter or sunflower seed butter for a different flavor. You can also use vegetable broth instead of chicken or beef broth for a vegetarian option.

How long will the cookies last?

The cookies can last up to 2 weeks if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.

Can I use these cookies as a main meal for my dog?

No, these cookies are meant to be used as treats and should not be used as a main meal for your dog. They should be given in moderation.

Can I use Pampered Chef tools for other pet food recipes?

Yes, our Pampered Chef tools can be used for a variety of pet food recipes. We recommend checking the recipe for any specific instructions on using our tools, but in general, they can be used for mixing, shaping, and baking pet food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Barry Carlton
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Chefgailb
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies