• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What makes Pampered Chef a better at-home business than Tupperware?

In summary, the speaker is hoping for help with recruiting a former coworker who is now a stay-at-home mom. They believe the coworker would be a good fit for their business and have experience working together. They mention that their coworker had tried Tupperware in the past but didn't enjoy it, and the speaker believes they could have a different experience with their business. They ask for information about the advantages of their business over Tupperware. Other speakers chime in with their personal experiences and knowledge about Tupperware and other direct sales companies. One person suggests using a flyer in comparison, but others advise caution in presenting it to potential recruits.
AMTC
Gold Member
I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I had my Grand Re-Opening last night and a gal who used to work full time with me came. She's now home with 4 girls under 8 years old and I haven't seen her in 7 years. I told her PC is a great at home business. She said she had tried Tupperware, but didn't like it. But she did say "But it may have been my leader too" I really think she would enjoy PC AND I've worked side by side with her so I know she knows that I'm the more Inspiring Leader type than the pushy leader type and that I always help try to find answers so she won't feel lost. (although I do have to probe more to find out what she didn't like about her leader). And I KNOW she would be great at running her own PC business.

Anyhow - businesswise - I don't know a thing about the Tupperware business.......can anyone tell me the advantages of PC over Tupperware?

Thanks!

I had one lady say that when she sold tupperware (years back) she had to cover the cost of hostess gifts and such. Where PC provides all of that. That is one difference I know of.

Just encourage her to sit down with you to hear about the business. It is for 'information' not 'obligation'! Have her come with a list of questions and after you go through the Come Join Us booklet, have her hit you with any questions she has left. Trust me, her questions will be whatever she didn't like about TW.

Good luck. Oh, sorry didn't have more info on TW. :)

If anything the kit rebate is great right now. She has nothing to lose just to give it a try.

the host benefits for PC are WAYYY WAYYY WAYYYYYYYYYYY better. I hosted a TW show and was not impressed.

Seriously... what other DS company gives as much to their hosts? No bias, just Curious?

The only two I have hosted were Partylite, and passion party and they give you a host special and free product value!

DebbieJ said:
the host benefits for PC are WAYYY WAYYY WAYYYYYYYYYYY better. I hosted a TW show and was not impressed.

heat123 said:
Seriously... what other DS company gives as much to their hosts? No bias, just Curious?

The only two I have hosted were Partylite, and passion party and they give you a host special and free product value!

I agree! I ended up "hosting" a show because the modular mates were on sale and I ordered enough to make a show. But on my host order I had to order the modular mates at full price, I couldn't get the guest special pricing like PC does.

DebbieJ said:

...as did I and I had to pay SHIPPING! What an outrage!

Personally, I never try to compare DS companies because I don't want anyone to think that I'm "bashing" them....even if I'm just being factual. What I do is simply lay out all of the advantages of a PC business and right now, as mentioned, with the 50% rebate, it's the perfect time to give it a try. I ask them how they want to work their PC business and only focus on PC - not what they previously did.

I have someone on my team that is also a Tupperware consultant. She is no longer focusing on TW because she can not book shows. When she joined PC, I told her she would not have any trouble booking at all. She sent out an email to her TW contact base and booked 4 shows out of the blue immediately. Those same people never booked a TW show even when asked directly. For some reason TW has itself in a niche where people think of only the traditional TW products, even though they sell all kinds of different stuff. Just my opinion and experience.

isn't there a flyer in here comparing PC to other DS companies? You could use that if you want the comparison.

stefani2 said:
isn't there a flyer in here comparing PC to other DS companies? You could use that if you want the comparison.

I was wondering about that. I couldn't find one though. If there is one, I would use discretion in showing it to customers and potential recruits so as not to appear to be "bashing" -- it would be great information to know though.

I don't know if I have her name right - wasn't it AJPratt? I JUST LOOKED AT IT LAST WEEK! hmmm.....

There is a comparison chart on pg. 159 of "The Big Book of Direct Sales" located in the files section. It is a bit dated and I'm not sure how accurate it is considering that it lists Pampered Chef as only offering a 20% commission as opposed to the 20-31% (and possibly more with the new plan?) that is possible. It does provide a decent overview though. HTH

At a vendor event I did last weekend, there was a Gold Canyon rep there who used to do Tupperware. She said she got out of Tupperware b/c she and her customers got really annoyed how the colors of the products would change w/ every season, and even tho their products carry a lifetime warranty, TW didn't have stock or replacement parts to compliment last seasons products.

So, if I had purchased a bowl or something last season....and let's say the color was red......and the colors changed to green this season, I would be SOL if my bowl needed to be replaced. I would have to get a green one. So, if I had a collection of all red TW products, the replacement product(s) would not match b/c I would have to get the current seasons color. Does this make sense?

She said her customers got sick and tired of that and her biz went no where. She then found another DS company to do biz thru.

Having sold tw for 33 years, and then switching over to PC, there are alot better benifits to selling PC over TW. In tupperware if you want to try to earn a trip, you have to be a director or higher to even earn one,, in PC it does not matter if you are a consultant or higher the trips are for everyone. Tupperware prices have tripled since I used to sell. There profit is alittle easier or better whatever way you want to look at it.. They make 25% right at the beginning. And can take their profit out right away without waiting for a paycheck twice a month. But on the flip side of that,, I believe tw parties are much harder to date right now. I personally love PC and would never go into anything else. I think PC offers much more for their consultants and higher ups. You do get a 35% discount on your tw for what you want to order for yourself. I feel the training that PC offers can not be beat.

Thanks for all the responses so far and if anyone has anything else to add I would love to hear it.

I am certainly NOT looking to bash Tupperware. I am simply looking to educate myself on how they do business so I can compare and contrast the differences. When I speak with my potential consultant and she says I didn't like this, I want to be prepared to answer her because I am aware of it ahead of time.

Also good to know about who could earn trips with Tupperware. If she never mentioned that I might not know and something could get lost in translation and she might think trips are for Directors and above.

Thanks for all the great tips! Keep 'em coming!

Liquid Sky said:
At a vendor event I did last weekend, there was a Gold Canyon rep there who used to do Tupperware. She said she got out of Tupperware b/c she and her customers got really annoyed how the colors of the products would change w/ every season, and even tho their products carry a lifetime warranty, TW didn't have stock or replacement parts to compliment last seasons products.

So, if I had purchased a bowl or something last season....and let's say the color was red......and the colors changed to green this season, I would be SOL if my bowl needed to be replaced. I would have to get a green one. So, if I had a collection of all red TW products, the replacement product(s) would not match b/c I would have to get the current seasons color. Does this make sense?

She said her customers got sick and tired of that and her biz went no where. She then found another DS company to do biz thru.

I had that very same thing happen. I have a canister set that I got when I hosted. It is two large canisters, one green, one blue, both with white lids. The lid to the green canister no longer fit (must have shrunk in the dishwasher).

Yes, they have a lifetime guarantee, but I still had to pay $4 for shipping on the lid and the lid is RED!!!!!! So now my canisters do not match. I mostly keep them in my pantry, so I'm not too annoyed, but it is disappointing.

I also bought some modular mates then last year I wanted some more. They were on sale, but the lids were all different colors this time around. My TW rep did eventually find matching lids for me (seems lots of TW reps carry lots of stock around here) but it was such a pain.

their shipping and handling charge is much greater than PC.... if it is over $100 it is 10% of the total plus tax on that,, believe me,, it it much more expensive than PC.

She definitely knows that she didn't like TW....if she can identify all the reasons why and then present them to you...to compare and see how much better PC really is...that may just help her to see it for herself.

I just completed my PC agreement yesterday after selling Tupperware for the past 3 years. Their prices have gotten so high that I had trouble selling anything. They are a petrolium based product (plastic) and we all know about the prices associated with that.

The other problem was I got sOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of doing warranty work. Most of the things I warranted was older than I am (35). I had these little old women call me who could not read the mold numbers. So I had to go over to their homes and read the numbers for them.

Their training stinks and you could not understand anyone when you called Orlando (customer service) because they spoke broken English. No offense to any hispanic people but I need to understand you!!!

Okay, that was my 2 cents. Hope it helps...

Laura

Since Tupperware is mostly known for their plastic products, I could never sell it. There are tons of news stories about plastic and how it's bad for you. Never put plastic in the microwave. Don't store high-fat foods in plastic. Don't use plastic items that have been but in the dishwasher because it might be breaking down.

I have a friend that has tried to go plastic free. It's almost impossible but she would under no instance consider buying a Tupperware product. For that reason, I think it would be hard to sell TW....

From what I saw from a lady I know who sells it, she carries a lot of stock. I'm not sure if it is by choice or not. We did a few booths together and she had a ton of "out of season" stuff she was selling off for 50% off. I would hate to think she lost a lot of money!

beepampered said:
Since Tupperware is mostly known for their plastic products, I could never sell it. There are tons of news stories about plastic and how it's bad for you. Never put plastic in the microwave. Don't store high-fat foods in plastic. Don't use plastic items that have been but in the dishwasher because it might be breaking down.

I have a friend that has tried to go plastic free. It's almost impossible but she would under no instance consider buying a Tupperware product. For that reason, I think it would be hard to sell TW....

Just between us, that isn't entirely true. I have a friend who works for Johns Hopkins (Johns Hopkins did research for the study), and she said this part of the report was taken out of context. In fact, the cafeteria at JH sells items heated in platic all the time!

Of course, we needn't mention that to someone deciding between hosting a PC show or a TW party.;)

Tupperware has done their own studies about plastics. They have 2 lines that are specifically formulated to go in the microwave. They do not release any harmful chemicals. They will not warranty microwave damage for any of the lines that are not microwave lines. I would never put anything in the microwave that was not specifically meant for the microwave whether it be PC, Tupperware, Glad, Rubbermaid etc....

My 2 cents,
Laura

Last edited:
My SIL sells TW and my DB is always complaining about their spare room being so full that no one can come over and stay. She is under the impression that there can't be more than 1 PC consultant per family. :yuck: I think her mom or someone told her and she won't listen to me. She is really freaked out cuz I am a consultant and her aunt signed up last year. Mind you they live in AZ. Anyway back to my point...my DB hates all the stuff (she does avon and at home america too!!)

I sold TW years ago, and they were SUPER HIGH PRESSURE. Not sure if she had to deal with that...but tell her how laid back PC is, and what low sales requirements we have to stay active.

I sold tw for 3 years also and decided this summer to give it up and start my pc business, With tupperware you are constantly changing your kit for the changing colors. It is expensive and inconvient. I already had a full kitchen of pc so I got the mini kit and started right away. I love it. The only thing i miss is the comission right away. But I wouldnt go back for anything in the world!!

DebbieJ said:
I had that very same thing happen. I have a canister set that I got when I hosted. It is two large canisters, one green, one blue, both with white lids. The lid to the green canister no longer fit (must have shrunk in the dishwasher).

Yes, they have a lifetime guarantee, but I still had to pay $4 for shipping on the lid and the lid is RED!!!!!! So now my canisters do not match. I mostly keep them in my pantry, so I'm not too annoyed, but it is disappointing.

I also bought some modular mates then last year I wanted some more. They were on sale, but the lids were all different colors this time around. My TW rep did eventually find matching lids for me (seems lots of TW reps carry lots of stock around here) but it was such a pain.

And that is why I told my TW rep that I will not purchase anymore MM even though I need them! I have hunter green and tan lids...which look fine together....but I dont want blue or red as well!! It is very discouraging as I would love a few more pieces!!

I will put my 2 cents in here I honestly think she could make a good business out of the pampered chef then tupperware cause I have sold both things and I have made more money with my pampered chef then my tupperware. I have found after looking back it seemed harder to sell the tupperware then it is pampered chef and I still here people at my parties comment how much tupperware has gone up and I feel like I got rewarding feeling from pampered then I ever did from tupperware.

had one lady say that when she sold tupperware (years back) she had to cover the cost of hostess gifts and such. Where PC provides all of that. That is one difference I know of.

what gifts does PC provide?

Judybabe said:
had one lady say that when she sold tupperware (years back) she had to cover the cost of hostess gifts and such. Where PC provides all of that. That is one difference I know of.

I think she means that PC covers the cost for us whereas with TW the Consultant would have to suck it up and pay the difference in retail and the host's price as well as any customer specials.

Judybabe said:

PC covers the cost of the hosts free product, half off, 60% off host bonus, and the host discount. Most direct sales companies expect the consultant to pay for those.

That's why, when a consultant says that they make 50% or 40% etc....one of the first questions to ask is who pays for the host benefits? I know that MK reps pay for all host benefits - so if they give you something for 50% off, they have just lost their entire commission on that product.

Before I signed with PC I did a comparison to other direct sales companies. The advantages of PC in general were
1. No inventory -- just what you wanted for your own kitchen
2. PC covers the hostess benefits in full -- nothing out of our pocket
3. PC covers the credit card processing fees in full -- nothing out of our pocket
4. Great product reputation and warranty
5. Guest shipping costs lower than most
6. Products do not "expire" or go out of date
7. Large $ value of products in the catalog ($1000 PC order and there are still lots more products -- some companies $1000 is everything they have)
8. PC offers their consultants alot of achievable promotions and free product opportunities.
9. PC business supplies are more reasonably prices
10. I was with 2 other direct sales companies and I always felt like they were making money on the consultants. I feel like PC tries to help us be profitable.

My friend sold Tupperware and talked me into hosting 2 parties, I could never ever get enough sales to even meet the minimum amount for a party. Before I became a PC rep, I never had a problem getting sales of PC when hosting a party

I heard that TW is now being carried in Walmart etc for some pieces! PC will NEVER do that! :)

wadesgirl said:
I agree! I ended up "hosting" a show because the modular mates were on sale and I ordered enough to make a show. But on my host order I had to order the modular mates at full price, I couldn't get the guest special pricing like PC does.

I know this is an old thread but I came on here to see what other's had experienced having another DS party.

I see this post and it hit it right on the nail.

Well let me tell I'm excited as to how much I got free but like Wadesgirl said I too had the modular mates special but on my host order I have to pay full price. I'm not to happy about this at all. PC benefits are the best I've seen.

Oh my goodness..I just went to the Tupperware website to check it out and they had a headline that read, "It's not to late to get organized." It should be TOO late, not TO late. The English teacher in me is very disappointed in them. Haha! I know this has nothing to do with the discussion really, but you would think that if they are going to publish something on their main website, they would take the time to make sure everything was spelled right?

I was just looking at their site last week because a friend invited me to a party for March. Can I just say how I like that our styles and colors (well, except the green stuff ;) ) are classic and nice--white, black, stainless steel, a little cranberry. All those crazy colors TW carries is enough to make me nuts! And they change colors so often that if a couple years later you want to get more of the collection, you're out of luck w/ it matching!

Has anyone seen their kitchen products? They are trying to get the PC customers but they never will with the prices they charge. Their ice cream dipper and can opener is twice the price of ours.

I do not bash other DS companies but I thought this was interesting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ShelbyMichalek
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • Amy knutson
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Lexif424