• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Suitcase or Carry-On: What's the Best Option for a Conference Trip?

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about luggage options for a trip to NC. The options are to take a larger checked bag and pay a fee, or to take a smaller carry-on and potentially save money on the fee but have to pay to ship items back home. The group suggests using a shared suitcase to split the cost of shipping, or using a bag or purse as an extra item. They also discuss restrictions on toiletries in carry-on bags. Southwest Airlines is mentioned as not having fees for checked bags under 50 lbs.
aussiecook
Gold Member
Hi All I figured since there has been so much info for those of us going to NC, this would be a good place to 'pick some brains' about bags!!

I decided to dig out my suitcases tonight and check the baggage requirements for our airline. I have 2 choices. I can take the 'jolly green giant' which is my big suitcase and pay the checked baggage fee :yuck:. Or save the money and take a carry on that really is plenty big for clothes and toiletries.

If I take the 'jolly green giant', Ill have plenty of room to bring my own goodies home with me, no paying for shipping with Fed Ex. But I will pay the checked baggage fee.

If I take just the carry on I wont have the checked baggage fee, but will have to pay to have all my goodies sent home. Plus Im less likely to buy 'souvenirs' that noone needs or wants, cause I want have room!!

Ahhhh the dillema!! I hate making decisions, hurts the brain too much, especially at 2 in the morning!! Any help would be appreciated :eek: Thanks

If it were me, I'd choose the smaller case. You'll be paying for the larger case both ways. You might be able to combine your stuff with one or two friends' stuff, so that you can share the cost of shipping. Plus, as you mentioned, you'll be more likely to really carefully consider each purchase, which will probably save you money in the long run.

Ditto on Rae's response. I'm using DH's suitcase this year, which is much smaller than mine, for that very reason. Luckily, I wouldn't have checked bag fees even if I took my large one (I'm traveling via bus). But I want to avoid the temptation to fill up the bag with purchases like I did last year. (A clustermate and I bought a 50 pack of the calendars from Merrill and somehow I ended up putting all of them in my suitcase. It weighed a ton.)

You can also take a bag or purse as another item. When we went to Denver I decided to just do a carry on. I used the PC grocery bag that they gave us at Leadership to bring all my goodies home in. It tucked under the seat perfectly.

Plus I heard that if you use FedEx next to the surprise boxes it's not too bad to send stuff home in.

Also, don't forget you could easily get stuck with additional charges if your checked bag is overweight (and it's really easy to load a bag over 50 lbs!) - you could potentially have to get an additional box at the airport, and have to pay for _two_ checked items on the return trip.

I vote for take the small bag, and have FedEx handle the shipping :)

quick question... do all airlines/airports have a checked baggage fee? I'm flying Southwest as I did last year and I don't remember one... :confused:

Okay, I have been thinking about this too. My question is this. If I take my bag as a carry on, what toiletries are allowed in the carry on. I know at one time you couldn't have shampoo and things like that. Are they going to toss my stuff if I only take a carry on?

pcsharon1 said:
Okay, I have been thinking about this too. My question is this. If I take my bag as a carry on, what toiletries are allowed in the carry on. I know at one time you couldn't have shampoo and things like that. Are they going to toss my stuff if I only take a carry on?

I'm pretty sure they have to be 3oz or less & you might have to take them out of your bag. I'm easy, I use whats in the room or buy what else I need in Chicago, they have stores all over the place!

caraighan said:
quick question... do all airlines/airports have a checked baggage fee? I'm flying Southwest as I did last year and I don't remember one... :confused:

Southwest is NO FEES for up to two bags checked as long as each in under 50 lbs!! I love Southwest, that is who we are flying also!

Ginger428 said:
I'm pretty sure they have to be 3oz or less & you might have to take them out of your bag. I'm easy, I use whats in the room or buy what else I need in Chicago, they have stores all over the place!

Yes 3 oz or less, if it is 3.5 they will make you toss it!!!! no exceptions!!

pcsharon1 said:

Check the TSA website. All the rules and regulations are there. Additionally, you should check your airline's website for baggage info, fees, etc.

Deb's right. The TSA website and your airline's site will have the latest information about baggage fees/restrictions, etc.The short answer about the toiletries is that any liquids (including lip gloss, etc. that's usually in your purse) must be in 3 oz. or smaller bottles and must all fit into a single 1 quart zip-top bag. You'll need to have that bag out at the screening checkpoint. If you don't have special needs, it's easier to leave the shampoo at home and use the stuff provided by the hotel.

In the minority here, but I like to take a larger bag. Gives me room to play with, doesn't get my clothes a wrinkled mess when I arrive, and gives me plenty of space to add additional pairs of shoes! Plus, hair rollers do take up space. Even when I fly, I prefer to check my bags and for me, it is worth the few dollars. I absolutely hate people who fly with carry on bags as big as me and by the time I come onto the plane, there is no overhead room for my coat or small tote bag. That, and the fact that I am not as young as I once was, or as I appear to be, and lugging a heavy bag around the airport does not appeal to me at all. If I could figure a way to pay a few extra dollars and have the train people drop my bag at the hotel, I gladly would.

Whatever you do...invest in the expensive Hefty zip lock bags if you put shampoo or hairspray in your checked luggage. I go through half a box of these because something will spill or spray in your luggage. I have seen too many people have hairspray let loose all over their good clothing (dry cleaning at a hotel is a major expense) and I have seen liquid make up let loose.

I am torn. Last time I brought Big Bertha and I thought my knuckles would drag on the ground before I got home!!! It has the fantastic swivel rolls, but on the way home I manage to pack so much crap in it that it is like carrying six dead bodies when I have to lift it.:eek:

baychef said:
Whatever you do...invest in the expensive Hefty zip lock bags if you put shampoo or hairspray in your checked luggage. I go through half a box of these because something will spill or spray in your luggage. I have seen too many people have hairspray let loose all over their good clothing (dry cleaning at a hotel is a major expense) and I have seen liquid make up let loose.

I am torn. Last time I brought Big Bertha and I thought my knuckles would drag on the ground before I got home!!! It has the fantastic swivel rolls, but on the way home I manage to pack so much crap in it that it is like carrying six dead bodies when I have to lift it.:eek:

Ann - did you read the tip about taking the stuff you buy at Conference and taking it to the Fed-Ex station (usually by the Surprise Boxes) and shipping it home? They just deduct the cost from your next Commission Check - and you don't have to carry all that stuff home! I bet you could do it with all your treasures you find in Chicago!

chefann said:
Deb's right. The TSA website and your airline's site will have the latest information about baggage fees/restrictions, etc.

The short answer about the toiletries is that any liquids (including lip gloss, etc. that's usually in your purse) must be in 3 oz. or smaller bottles and must all fit into a single 1 quart zip-top bag. You'll need to have that bag out at the screening checkpoint. If you don't have special needs, it's easier to leave the shampoo at home and use the stuff provided by the hotel.

This is what I've started doing. It's just easier, and it doesn't matter to me what kind of shampoo and soap I use for a couple of days!

mscharf said:
Southwest is NO FEES for up to two bags checked as long as each in under 50 lbs!! I love Southwest, that is who we are flying also!

Thanks!!! That's great to know! I knew I didn't remember any fees from last year! I just thought things might have chaged!

I'm opting for my own shampoo/conditioner/body wash. I sometimes have reactions to "new" things and I have a problem with some smells making my sinuses run (not a pretty sight)! My HD gave us all a set of the PC travel bottles so I will use that. I have an old WW scale I still have so I'll be sure to weigh them. I also got a note from my chiropractor about my cane. I had to laugh at what he wrote, "This letter is to declare the medical necessity for Ms. Vaughan to use her walking cane. Without the use of her cane, she may fall and hurt herself in a significant way." One of my CS/PC FB friends said she wouldn't want to be the flight attendant who tried to take it away because she/e could get significant bodily harm"! LOL!

ChefBeckyD said:
Ann - did you read the tip about taking the stuff you buy at Conference and taking it to the Fed-Ex station (usually by the Surprise Boxes) and shipping it home? They just deduct the cost from your next Commission Check - and you don't have to carry all that stuff home! I bet you could do it with all your treasures you find in Chicago!

I bought 50 Calendars last year from Merrill, what a relief to bring them right over to Fed Ex!! :D

Fed-Ex station (usually by the Surprise Boxes) and shipping it home? They just deduct the cost from your next Commission Check - and you don't have to carry all that stuff home! I bet you could do it with all your treasures you find in Chicago!

ONe year I mailed my dirty clothes home.... I wanted to bring all my new goodies home and did not care when I got the dirty stuff :blushing:

:thumbup: Love this idea!
nancycookspc said:
ONe year I mailed my dirty clothes home.... I wanted to bring all my new goodies home and did not care when I got the dirty stuff :blushing:

So what type of clothes are you wearing. I have all my PC shirts, but I saw in another post we shouldn't be wearing jeans. Is that for everyone or only for the directors (guess they have to set an example). I haven't seen any dress code discussing this.

There's some dress code on CC, in the meetings policies. I think it was mentioned in some of the conference materials from HO, too. No jeans. No spandex.
A good general rule is to wear something that wouldn't make you embarrassed to tell your pastor/rabbi/boss you are a business owner while you're wearing it. There are many, many threads about this already this year.

JackieBozeman said:
So what type of clothes are you wearing. I have all my PC shirts, but I saw in another post we shouldn't be wearing jeans. Is that for everyone or only for the directors (guess they have to set an example). I haven't seen any dress code discussing this.

It makes no sense to wear PC shirts.

This is a business conference. So you want to wear business attire.

I finally got around to pulling out my pre-pregnancy clothes (DS is 13 months :eek:) and I'm so glad that so much of it fits! Now, just to find a suitcase to put it in, and to not pack too much.

I'm wearing a PC shirt and denim capris on my flight. Figured it'll help spot other consultants and maybe make a contact or two. But I got nice dressier capris and blouses for Conference.

My first NC I wore PC shirts. Didn't really think about the fact that I'd be in a sea of other PCers. Of course, I didn't have all of you to help guide me in those days. :)

So I thought I was so smart putting my ibuprofen, benedryl, and immodium in my travel bottles and my DD & SIL informed me that airlines require them in the original packaging just in case anyone flies as little as me and didn't know that!

raebates said:
My first NC I wore PC shirts. Didn't really think about the fact that I'd be in a sea of other PCers. Of course, I didn't have all of you to help guide me in those days. :)

You see a LOT of people in PC clothing at Conference. People come, buy new PC wear at the booths, and then want to wear their new clothes.

Many of the PC clothing items are professional looking (collared blouses, cardigan sweaters, etc....) and totally appropriate for Conference. I wouldn't wear my PC t-shirts, but I would wear my 3/4 length sleeve blouses.

I need a little bit of help packing, please. Looking over the NC agenda (I'm wave 1) ~~~ I have signed up for my litte classes and first timer orientation outside of that what other events do I need to attend? I'm just consultant, I haven't hit my $15,000 mark yet :( But as far as the Banquets go do I go to any of them? I don't want to over pack and I SURE don't want to under pack!

lmradlein said:
I need a little bit of help packing, please. Looking over the NC agenda (I'm wave 1) ~~~ I have signed up for my litte classes and first timer orientation outside of that what other events do I need to attend? I'm just consultant, I haven't hit my $15,000 mark yet :( But as far as the Banquets go do I go to any of them? I don't want to over pack and I SURE don't want to under pack!

The Agenda lists all the events. You'll get an invitation to any of the special meals/receptions (President's Reception, career club, etc.). If you won't be going to those, then your schedule should include:
general sessions
general meals (none on day 1, 2 on day 2, 1 on day 3)
banquet (hosted by your Executive Director)
workshops and first timer orientation

Unless your ED has a theme for the banquet, you'll really only need one outfit for each day.

chefann said:
The Agenda lists all the events. You'll get an invitation to any of the special meals/receptions (President's Reception, career club, etc.). If you won't be going to those, then your schedule should include:
general sessions
general meals (none on day 1, 2 on day 2, 1 on day 3)
banquet (hosted by your Executive Director)
workshops and first timer orientation

Unless your ED has a theme for the banquet, you'll really only need one outfit for each day.

:sing::sing: THANK YOU :sing::sing: This is a BIG help!!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Melissa78
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • PampMomof3
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD