• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Over Protective Facebook Owner...

In summary, the conversation was about consultants using each other's ideas and content on their Facebook business pages. Some consultants have no problem borrowing and reposting content from others, while others have had negative experiences with consultants who do not give credit or ask permission before reposting. Some consultants have strict policies against sharing from their page, while others are open to it. However, everyone agrees that the whole point of social networking is to share and promote each other's businesses. The only issue is when consultants start commenting on each other's posts intended for customers, which can discourage customer engagement. Overall, borrowing and sharing ideas is a common practice in the business and is encouraged as long as proper credit is given.
Chozengirl
Gold Member
I was wondering how you are on facebook with your business page.
I follow a few consultants just to network and get ideas. I've reposted from a few of them with no problem. I've even offered the same offers as some (which I requested permission from first).
I reposted a recipe and picture from another consultant recently and she jumped down my throat and chewed me out...ON MY PAGE!!! Needless to say, I took her off and quite following her. I don't need that 'poison' in my business.
Depending on what I use to repost some things (my phone or computer) it doesn't always link/track back to the original post/er.
How do you feel about your page? I feel like we are all "in this together" and feel humbled if someone wants to use my ideas.

I am NOT original when it comes to my FB posts. I borrow from other consultants and other pages that have good ideas. When borrowing from other consultants, I will ususally post a "thanks, Susie" to acknowledge where I borrowed it from. If I pull from another non-PC page I don't get permission, but I do make it a point to reference and provide a link to the other page (When the Dinner Bell Rings is one of my favorites)

I make it a point to copy and paste what I borrow, I don't share from another consultant's site. Why? because when you do that, you are sending your customers to another consultant. I want their business.

I have my FB page and I admin two other PC pages for other consultants. They are almost completely a carbon copy of my page. We have mostly different fans so it works just fine.

Feel free to copy from me at will. I don't mind. My posts are 99% not original, they are poached from others. If I post something that is obviously personal, please edit it when you post it is my only request.

I do borrow alot as well and I let people borrow from me too. Aside from that facebook is a public site. Depending on your settings anything you post (including personal pictures) can be copied, saved and used by someone else. So by default everything you post is public. Now that doesn't give people a free license to do whatever they want, but once you post something it really isn't just yours anymore:)

Jane has great things on her FB page! I "borrow" from her all the time!!!!

I borrow from others and they borrow from me - that's what this business is about! I noticed a picture on FB from another consultant that I realized was mine because of my horrible orange counter tops!! It's not a big deal for me.

The whole point of social networking is the sharing/virality of postings... if she doesn't want to have her stuff shared, she can set privacy settings. I know because I have tried to share things from people and not been able to.That being said, I am very adamant about consultants not sharing from my TT facebook page because it will link back to me and I don't want that. I am strictly business-to-business and prefer not to have the general public know me :) I work in secret for consultants!

Truth be told, those ideas of her's probably werent originally HER ideas anyway. The ideas get passed around left and rght! I see things come from my hosp. NED that I saw first on here!

I borrow all the time and I don't care if others borrow from me. What I don't like is when consultants start replying on my posts that are clearly intended for my customers. Don't say "Stealing" or "Borrowing" or "Do you mind if I copy this?" ...just do it! If you must say something, say "Love it!" "I gotta have that!" ...Anytime consultants start commenting it changes the intent of the post and my customers stay away from it.

pamperedlinda said:
I borrow all the time and I don't care if others borrow from me. What I don't like is when consultants start replying on my posts that are clearly intended for my customers. Don't say "Stealing" or "Borrowing" or "Do you mind if I copy this?" ...just do it! If you must say something, say "Love it!" "I gotta have that!" ...Anytime consultants start commenting it changes the intent of the post and my customers stay away from it.

Yes!! I completely agree!

I also don't mind people borrowing anything I post. Some might be original, some I borrow from others. But one thing that I really, really wish people would do is click the "like" button or make a comment like Linda said, "Love it!" or "Gotta have that!" etc. before copying the post. :)

And please, remember to just copy and paste and download the picture...don't click "share", otherwise your friends will be directed to my page and then they'll see that you were just copying from me (or whoever). ;)

pamperedlinda said:

When someone asks if they can borrow or such, I reply to them in a private message something like this:

Hello, _______________,

Yes, please borrow away as most of my posts are not original to me and are borrowed from other sources. While I'm flattered other consultants like my page, its primary purpose is to reach my customers. I don't want to alienate them or have them think this is a consultant only community. Please don't be offended, but I have deleted your original post to keep the focus of my page all about my customers.

lt1jane said:
When someone asks if they can borrow or such, I reply to them in a private message something like this:

Hello, _______________,

Yes, please borrow away as most of my posts are not original to me and are borrowed from other sources. While I'm flattered other consultants like my page, its primary purpose is to reach my customers. I don't want to alienate them or have them think this is a consultant only community. Please don't be offended, but I have deleted your original post to keep the focus of my page all about my customers.

You are kinder than me, I just delete it. But I do go to their post and hit Like

pamperedlinda said:

I agree- I borrow from others and everyone else please borrow from me! Not everything I post is from other consultants, so of it I do find on my own. I agree with what Linda said, don't tell me you borrowed it in my comments! If I follow you I will see it and I will feel honored. And if you would like to let me know you borrowed, it click on "LIKE" or leave a comment similar to what Linda said!!

Unless you are in the same city... I don't see the issue.

Well thank you ladies! I didn't link back to her and that was her problem is that I didn't giver her credit. Her comment was "photo credit would be nice". So I explained to her that I posted from my phone and it doesn't do track backs. I appologized and told her that I would give her credit once I'm on my laptop. She then replied, "well next time don't post from your phone and give credit where credit is due. I know this is my picture and you need to be courteous to those who work hard to keep their facebook posts up."
That's when I deleted her, her comments and my post.

Chozengirl said:
Well thank you ladies! I didn't link back to her and that was her problem is that I didn't giver her credit. Her comment was "photo credit would be nice". So I explained to her that I posted from my phone and it doesn't do track backs. I appologized and told her that I would give her credit once I'm on my laptop. She then replied, "well next time don't post from your phone and give credit where credit is due. I know this is my picture and you need to be courteous to those who work hard to keep their facebook posts up."
That's when I deleted her, her comments and my post.

There is a word for people like her, and sorry...I cant say it :rolleyes:

Let me start by saying I don't mind if someone copies and shares from my page as long as it's general food/cooking/entertaining information. Credit is always appreciated, but not necessary.That said, I understand being a bit miffed if you've worked hard to put something amazing on your page or you've shared something very personal and then find out someone used it without asking or giving credit. I know that happened to one of my CS friends long ago. Someone copied her personal story and pasted it as if it were their own. Not cool.

Let me start by saying I don't mind if someone copies and shares from my page as long as it's general food/cooking/entertaining information. Credit is always appreciated, but not necessary.

That said, I understand being a bit miffed if you've worked hard to put something amazing on your page or you've shared something very personal and then find out someone used it without asking or giving credit. I know that happened to one of my CS friends long ago. Someone copied her personal story and pasted it as if it were their own. Not cool.

Oh no! This was a pic of the beer can chicken on the BBQ with the recipe.
THAT'S ALL! Nothing grand or spectacular at all.

1. What does it mean to be an "Over Protective Facebook Owner"?

An "Over Protective Facebook Owner" is someone who is extremely cautious and controlling when it comes to their Facebook account. They may closely monitor their privacy settings, limit who can see their posts and photos, and be hesitant to accept friend requests from people they don't know well.

2. Why would someone be an "Over Protective Facebook Owner"?

There are a variety of reasons why someone might be an "Over Protective Facebook Owner." They may have had negative experiences with social media in the past, or they may simply value their privacy and want to keep their personal information safe.

3. Is it a bad thing to be an "Over Protective Facebook Owner"?

Being an "Over Protective Facebook Owner" is not necessarily a bad thing. It's important to be cautious and mindful of your online presence, especially on a platform like Facebook where personal information can easily be shared. However, it's also important to find a balance and not let fear or anxiety control your social media usage.

4. How can I tell if someone is an "Over Protective Facebook Owner"?

It can be difficult to tell if someone is an "Over Protective Facebook Owner" unless they openly express their concerns or behaviors. However, some signs may include having a limited number of friends on Facebook, strict privacy settings, or being hesitant to share personal information or photos.

5. Can being an "Over Protective Facebook Owner" cause problems in relationships?

Yes, being an "Over Protective Facebook Owner" can potentially cause problems in relationships. It may lead to misunderstandings or conflicts if friends or family members feel excluded or left out of important updates or events. It's important for "Over Protective Facebook Owners" to communicate their concerns and boundaries with others to avoid potential issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jules711
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
FelicityG92
  • mspibb
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • pamperedlinda