1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Booths Outdoor events- canopy recommendation?

1. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

For those of you that do outdoor events, what do you use (if anything) for a canopy?

I'm waiting for word back on a few events, and have another possible (3 total)- and they are all outside. Two would be in May in my local area- which I really want to try to get into. Most of my events to date have been within my county, but more than 20 minutes drive time for most of the leads I get. I'm trying to get more local leads.

Even though it will be May, if the weather is nice, it can get quite warm (North Carolina). The third possible event is early June...guaranteed to be warm!

I was looking at an easy-pop up canopy. Was just wanting some feedback on a nice one that doesn't cost a small fortune and that is simple to set up (especially if I'm setting up alone).

Thanks!!

Apr 14, 2009
  2. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

The one I have (we live in AZ and it gets hot! and shade is a must) is a 10X10 canopy. The fabric part comes off when you store it and the frame folds down. I can't set it up alone. It takes 2 people, but it isn't hard to do so you can rope someone in to help. It is white (which is a plus because some events require it be white here). We got it at Costco. You may consider looking on craig's list for a used one?

3. flemings99

flemings99 Veteran Member Gold Member

I purchased a quick shade last year for events. It's easy to put up/take down. Can do it with 1, but practice first. Easiest if you have 2. Mine is a 10x10 also. Most fair spaces here are sold in 10x10 slots. Mine was purchased at Target for $99 on sale.

Apr 14, 2009
  4. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

I got mine at Costco as well. It's King Canopy and it's very easy to set up. I can do most of it myself, and then I ask another vendor to help me pop it up. It was about $200 and it has sides too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
    Apr 14, 2009
  5. pcchefjane

pcchefjane Senior Member Gold Member

We got one for my DD and I to share last year at Walmart. I can't remember off the top of my head how much it was but believe me, whatever it costs is well worth it. The hot sun will cook you if you sunburn at all! Be sure to bring sunscreen too!

Apr 14, 2009
  6. cookin to the top

cookin to the top Member Gold Member

I have a 10x10 EZ-UP, absolutely love it!

7. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

If you can get sides for your model, I recommend investing in those, too. I worked a 3-day event last summer that was under canopies, and I don't have sides. I had to repack all my stuff, put it under the tables, and lower the canopy. If I had the sides, I could have just tied them down (and it would have kept the rain out). Sides will also keep people from seeing the messy part of your area (usually the back) and prevent them from bombarding you with questions from all 4 directions at once.

Apr 15, 2009
  8. whiteyteresa

whiteyteresa Veteran Member

I GOT MINE THERE TOO AND IT COST ME $78 LAST YEAR. I COULD HAVE PUT IT UP MYSELF BUT I AM TOO SHORT.

:chef:

Apr 15, 2009
  9. Teresa Lynn

Teresa Lynn Legacy Member Gold Member

I have a fiskars it needs 2 people but it is very easy to assemble it is not a pop up type

Apr 15, 2009
  10. julia.poe

julia.poe Member

I have done outside events that offer canopies. I know it may cost a little more but if you are the only one it may be worth it.

Apr 15, 2009
  11. PampChefJoy

PampChefJoy Veteran Member Gold Member

Ours came with a cover that has wheels on it so you can tilt it and pull it on wheels behind you... very useful! Got it at Sports Authority - and it was under $100. also has a shade panel... used to have one with netting/curtain/sides and liked that as well.

Apr 15, 2009
  12. gingertannery

gingertannery Advanced Member Gold Member

I have an ez-up and love it too. I don't have sides so I take a large tarp or material and metal clamps and clamp the material to the legs.. making sides .. works very well. Great when you need to leave things over night.. and when the sun is low... can be a pain in the wind. I also bring either gallons of water or I have seen some bring cinder blocks to weigh down the legs in the wind... they will take off and fly if it is windy enough..

13. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

The last event I did, that little more was $100. My husband said I was in the wrong business, I should rent those canopies and get $100 a pop.

14. scottcooks

scottcooks Veteran Member Gold Member

LOL! Your husband has a great sense of humor! Checkout sales at variety stores, Sam's Club and Costco. There are some canopies at online auctions as well.

I made the mistake of a 12x12 - while it was nice, the market I do each Saturday always was a little grumpy with me.

Apr 18, 2009
  15. toastnthekitchen

toastnthekitchen Novice Member

I just picked up a 10x 10 easy up at a discount store called Marcs for $39.99.

16. esavvymom

wow..that's a great price.

I ended up getting a canopy from Walmart for $88. So far, I've used it at two events. The first one, it did fine- but we didn't tie it down as sturdy as we could have (wind kicked up as afternoon storms were coming our way). The second event, we did a better job. We have the legs sticking inside half-cinder blocks, and then took utility rope and tied the frame of the canopy down very well to the blocks. That event- it rained off and on and the wind kicked up. My canopy stayed put (we were on the street, so couldn't anchor into the ground either).

Overall, it wasn't bad- and super easy to set up (just needs an extra person to fold/unfold the frame).

Jun 3, 2009
  17. chefpenny99

chefpenny99 Member Gold Member

I have a 10 x 10 EZ UP. You need a minimum of two people to set it up. I've even used it at indoor events, it's great for hanging the PC banner from Merrill. Something to remember though, if you're using one outdoors you need to have sand bags or bricks to weight it down. Otherwise, they try to blow away.

Jun 4, 2009
  18. esavvymom

and not just brick/block or sandbags...good utility rope to tie it down to that bag/block otherwise your frame wobbles and shakes something fierce! :D Usually seem to be able to find that kind of rope in the aisle with the boating equipment.

Jun 4, 2009
  19. chef131doreen

chef131doreen Veteran Member Gold Member

I would say yes get one Walmart, or Ocean State job lot very cheap and worth it

20. Krista Burson

Krista Burson Member Gold Member

I just bought a 10 x 10 at Ace Hardware for $50, it's the easy pop up kind

21. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

I bought that one last year and it busted at my first fair. It's not commercial quality.

Jun 5, 2009
Have something to add?