• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Starting a New Job: Giving Two-Week Notice with No One to Talk To

In summary, the individual had been laid off from their previous job for 8 months and took the first job that was offered to them due to financial reasons and the desire to start working again. After 4 months, they realized that the job was not a good fit and have recently accepted a new job offer. They are now facing the dilemma of giving a two week notice to their current employer, as their manager is on medical leave and the owner is on vacation. They are unsure of who to inform and how to go about it, but have decided to fax a letter to the owner's son who is the president of the company. There is no human resources department in the small company and the individual is unsure of who to report to in
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Some of you may remember that I was laid off my last job for 8 months and finally found a job this spring. I basically took the first job that said yes for two reasons - first I had to because I was on unemployment and second was because I really wanted to start working again. Well after 4 months I have discovered it wasn't the job for me (it didn't take me 4 months to figure that out). Anyway, I have officially accepted a new job as of today and will start in two weeks. I have never had to officially give a two week notice! My first job I worked directly with my supervisor day to day so I just told her. My next job the company was closing and my last job was the job I listed above. My only dilemma is the fact that I have no one to call or talk to personally. My manager is out on medical leave and the owner is on vacation. The only option I see available is to fax a letter to the attention of the owner's son (he's the president of the company). That doesn't seem very appropriate but I need to take care of this ASAP. Any thoughts?

I would write a letter to your manager and cc the owner and the president. Someone will be inform and deal with it how it should be done. You could also enquire with human resurces. Good luck!

Chef Gilles said:
I would write a letter to your manager and cc the owner and the president. Someone will be inform and deal with it how it should be done. You could also enquire with human resurces. Good luck!

The problem is it's such a small company there is no human resources and with my manager being out on medical leave and the owner being gone on vacation - there is no way to even cc them in on it. It's such a sticky situation! I need to turn in my two weeks because I have already confirmed a start date at my new job.

Make sure you send someone a letter. Have something on paper. Dont delay!

I agree. Do a letter, a very brief one just stating you're leaving in 2 weeks. Do you go into an office on Monday or can only fax it somewhere?

Yes, fax or email it somewhere. Just to let someone know, even if it is the top person. Doesn't seem like there is anyone avalable ayway. What if there was an emergency? Who would you call? I know you want to do the right thing, but at this point don't worry about it. What are they going to do?

Who do you report to while they are gone...if you needed to call in sick, who would you call? I would think that would be the person to ask.

Could you ask them who to send the official letter to, how to do it?

Someone knows how to get in touch with those in charge.

Do you have interactions with the owner...the one on vacation? If so, I would imagine you could email that person and state your dilemma. I can't imagine they would not be checking their emails daily.

Don';t any of them have smart phones? i would do a hard copy letter but email them now too.

kam said:
Who do you report to while they are gone...if you needed to call in sick, who would you call? I would think that would be the person to ask.

Could you ask them who to send the official letter to, how to do it?

Someone knows how to get in touch with those in charge.

Do you have interactions with the owner...the one on vacation? If so, I would imagine you could email that person and state your dilemma. I can't imagine they would not be checking their emails daily.

We sort of "self-govern" at our store when it comes to time off and sick time.

I did remember that our supervisor has a fax machine at home so I faxed her and the president today. Guess we'll see what happens on Monday.

Good for you. You did what you could and that should cover it. Also, like Anne said, what are they gonna do? Fire you? Oh and the general rule of thumb, is to go to the person just above you if you can not go to the person who a) hired you or b) Human resources or c) a manager.

pampered1224 said:
Good for you. You did what you could and that should cover it. Also, like Anne said, what are they gonna do? Fire you? Oh and the general rule of thumb, is to go to the person just above you if you can not go to the person who a) hired you or b) Human resources or c) a manager.

This is one of the reasons why I need to move on - the person who hired me is the owner who is on vacation, we have no human resource department and my manager is on medical leave although she is never at our store to begin with!

I also work for a very small company, directly for the owner, but would be able to get in touch with him via phone, e-mail & text. Hopefully the new job will be much better! Good luck!

1. What is the proper way to give a two-week notice when there is no one to talk to at my new job?

The best way to handle this situation is to send a formal resignation letter to your current employer. This letter should include your last day of work and express your gratitude for the opportunity to work with the company. You can also include a brief explanation of why you are leaving and your contact information for any follow-up questions.

2. Should I give a two-week notice even if I don't have anyone to talk to at my new job?

Yes, it is always professional and courteous to give a two-week notice before leaving a job, even if you do not have anyone to talk to at your new job. This allows your current employer time to find a replacement and tie up any loose ends before your departure.

3. Can I give a two-week notice via email if there is no one to talk to in person?

While it is always best to have a face-to-face conversation, if this is not possible, you can give a two-week notice via email. Make sure to follow the same guidelines as a formal resignation letter and express your gratitude and contact information.

4. How should I handle any questions or concerns my current employer may have about my departure?

If your current employer has any questions or concerns, it is best to address them professionally and honestly. You can offer to help with the transition process and provide any necessary information to make the process smoother.

5. Is it okay to give less than a two-week notice in this situation?

It is always best to give a two-week notice, but if there are extenuating circumstances, it is okay to give less notice. Be sure to communicate with your current employer and apologize for any inconvenience it may cause. Offer to assist with the transition in any way possible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • KimberleePowell
  • General Chat
Replies