• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ot: Nook Tablet Vs Kindle Fire

regular Kindle. I don't know much about the Nooks, but I know there are several ladies here that can give you an opinion.
chefheidi2003
Gold Member
Does anyone have either one of these? What are your opinions? I am leaning towards the Nook Tablet but I would like other opinions. Thanks in advance.

I have a regular Kindle. I don't know much about the Nooks, but I know there are several ladies here that can give you an opinion.

I would base your decision on what you wish to do with it. The Kindle Fire allows you to play videos in addition to reading books, but because of that it has a backlit color display. This can be draining on the eyes when reading books. If you're wanting something mainly for reading books, you may want to consider one of the eInk display Kindles, or a similar product.

I have not paid for most of the books I have, and many I've gotten on sale. Amazon has one book each day that is on sale, usually around $1.99. With the Prime membership (it does cost $79 for the year) you also get access to a library of books to borrow, and TV shows and movies to watch, either on your PC or the Kindle Fire. Prime also gives you free 2-day shipping on eligible items. There is also a website I discovered which allows you to lend your Kindle books to others and borrow theirs: Welcome to lendle.com. I also use eReaderIQ.com | The Easier, Faster, Smarter Way to Kindle! to track price drops.

I don't have the Nook tablet but have the Nook color. Of course I bought it this summer, they usually come out with something better a couple months after I make a "major" purpose (laptop, camera, etc!). I really enjoy my Nook. I like that I can read in the dark as DH usually likes to enjoy watching tv with the lights off. So he can watch tv and I can enjoy a book or a game without holding a book and a book light. I wasn't sure I would like the feel of a non-book in my hands but it grew on me.

Love love love love my Nook!!!! Love that I can Share/borrow books from other Nook owners, I have several friends that are in different countries and we can share....love that I can walk into any Barnes and Noble and it automatically connects to their server and I can read whatever I want in their store for free while sipping a cup of coffee, love the coupons I get on it when I walk in the store...I've had it for 2 years. Love Love Love it. I have an Ipad and I still use the Nook to read. Oh yes, and you can replace the battery on my Nook.

Nanisu said:
Love love love love my Nook!!!! Love that I can Share/borrow books from other Nook owners, I have several friends that are in different countries and we can share....love that I can walk into any Barnes and Noble and it automatically connects to their server and I can read whatever I want in their store for free while sipping a cup of coffee, love the coupons I get on it when I walk in the store...I've had it for 2 years. Love Love Love it. I have an Ipad and I still use the Nook to read. Oh yes, and you can replace the battery on my Nook.

Quick question about sharing - I tried to connect with a couple other friends and it never would show to "accept" so we can borrow. I had one that it worked with but two others we tried on both ends and never could get it to work. Any tips?

I have the regular Kindle and absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!What I've heard about the two, is that amazon has a wider variety of books, and more FREE books. I prefer my plain Jane black and white kindle versus color screen, because you can stare at the pages for hours and not get a headache, because the color screens are just like looking at a computer, whereas the Kindle is like looking at a book

I just got the kindle fire, haven't read any books on yet, so I guess I can't give an opinion. Thats for sharing the websites. Finishing book two of the Hunger Games before starting on my ebooks.

Actually the Nook has a LOT more books--we compared them all before we bought. As for sharing, it's easy--directions are right on the website.

Nanisu said:
Actually the Nook has a LOT more books--we compared them all before we bought. As for sharing, it's easy--directions are right on the website.

And do I have to buy books from Barnes and Nobles if I get a Nook??

chefheidi2003 said:
And do I have to buy books from Barnes and Nobles if I get a Nook??

I have a friend who is researching both, and she said she's learned that with the Nook, you are not restricted to B&N. I don't know the details of what you could get as well, but she said it's not restricted to just B&N.

aried said:
Finishing book two of the Hunger Games before starting on my ebooks.

I'm halfway finished with Catching Fire. They're soooo good, huh?

My daughter has the Nook Color and loves it. She's a freshman in college and now her roommate wants one for Christmas.

I need more Nook friends - anybody want to PM me their B&N account email? I haven't been able to buy many books since I've been laid off.

Okay - so here's a question just to confuse things a bit more....

Can you use an I-pad the same way you can a Nook or a Kindle? And will it have the capacity to synch with a local library for borrowing like I could with a Nook or Kindle? Just wondering, since the little hint in the CN mentioned an I-phone, I-pad, or a 'Droid...I really am not into technology a whole lot, and don't want to have to double up on this stuff if I don't have to.

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - so here's a question just to confuse things a bit more....

Can you use an I-pad the same way you can a Nook or a Kindle? And will it have the capacity to synch with a local library for borrowing like I could with a Nook or Kindle? Just wondering, since the little hint in the CN mentioned an I-phone, I-pad, or a 'Droid...I really am not into technology a whole lot, and don't want to have to double up on this stuff if I don't have to.

There are apps for the ipad that let you read nook and kindle books. They sync up the same as far as I know. The advantage there is you can use both of the stores for books. I think you can get the apps on most computers too. An ipad or new computer is more expensive and might not be as portable or have the same battery life.

Tracy99 said:
There are apps for the ipad that let you read nook and kindle books. They sync up the same as far as I know. The advantage there is you can use both of the stores for books. I think you can get the apps on most computers too. An ipad or new computer is more expensive and might not be as portable or have the same battery life.

Thanks. :)

If an ipad is what will work for an app for PC, then I would rather pay more money, and have it do everything I want, instead of having to get multiple electronic thingys I have to carry around. (and my computer is a Mac, so easier to synch with that too...) It would be great if it was my phone too...maybe then I wouldn't be misplacing it ALL the time. I never know where my cell phone is. :eek:

Yes they have Nook and Kindle apps for your phones, ipads, computers, etc. Originally I was looking at getting an Ipad so I wouldn't have to choose between a Nook or a Kindle but due to money reasons I couldn't afford an Ipad right now.

I do have another question. Can you get free books for the nook??

chefheidi2003 said:

Yes! - that much I know. :) Plus, from what I understand, while you are in B&N, you can read any book they stock for free.

ChefBeckyD said:
Yes! - that much I know. :) Plus, from what I understand, while you are in B&N, you can read any book they stock for free.

Too bad there isn't a B&N closer to me..LOL.

My sister just got a kindle fire from her work party (they gave everyone one for thier Christmas gift) and her library is set up to loan ebooks through the kindle fire. I am guessing it is also that way for the nook. We have 2 kindle fires on the way for me and my DH.

Ive been checking into these quite a bit and we have decided to get the kindle fires for each of our 14 year old twins...we are thinking with all their summer reading they have to do for high school next year and the fact that they are constantly on my desktop for FB and emailing the Kindle fire is the most like an Ipad without the expense. Running about $200 right now compared to the ipads for over $500. They can browse the web, check email, read books, borrow from our library and for about $80 a year subscribe to the amazon program they have for a lot more perks. The fact that they can hook into our wireless network at home for no "extra" fees is the plus for me right now. They are going to flip out Christmas morning! We already have to buy 2 laptops for our 16 year old and 19 year old....big Christmas this year!!!!

kreaser said:
Ive been checking into these quite a bit and we have decided to get the kindle fires for each of our 14 year old twins...we are thinking with all their summer reading they have to do for high school next year and the fact that they are constantly on my desktop for FB and emailing the Kindle fire is the most like an Ipad without the expense. Running about $200 right now compared to the ipads for over $500. They can browse the web, check email, read books, borrow from our library and for about $80 a year subscribe to the amazon program they have for a lot more perks. The fact that they can hook into our wireless network at home for no "extra" fees is the plus for me right now. They are going to flip out Christmas morning! We already have to buy 2 laptops for our 16 year old and 19 year old....big Christmas this year!!!!

I think that's a GREAT idea. Mine has made school so much easier for me. It's great for taking notes and keeping track of quotes for book reports, plus with it's small size, I keep it in my purse and I'm able to read whenever I can. I've read about 40 books in a year because of its convenience :D

ome question I have is since we got 2 kindles if we sign up for the prime membership do we have to do 2 prime memberships? One for each kindle?

Jennie4PC said:
ome question I have is since we got 2 kindles if we sign up for the prime membership do we have to do 2 prime memberships? One for each kindle?

IDK but I'm guessing not. When you buy a book you can choose which device to deliver it to (so and so's kindle or smartphone etc.) so it would make sense you only need one

ChefZee said:
IDK but I'm guessing not. When you buy a book you can choose which device to deliver it to (so and so's kindle or smartphone etc.) so it would make sense you only need one

I would think it depends on what account you buy/register the Kindles on. I had to replace my Kindle under warranty a little while back, and when I buy books, it has the option to choose if I want to send it to "Noora's Kindle" or "Noora's 2nd Kindle". So if you were to buy/register your Kindles on one account, they should both be able to use the one Prime memberhsip. If you were to buy/register your Kindles to separate accounts e.g. each of the kids' own accounts, then you'd have to pay separate Prime memberships.

Well..I decided..We ordered a Nook Tablet for me last night. I am very excited to get it. And I got it on a special of buy it using a mastercard and get a $25 B&N Gift Card.

Those of you with Nooks - check your local library!! Mine has books for Nook (and actually just recently added Kindle books, but not as many and I know not all libraries have Kindle yet). I have had my Nook for 3 months and have not paid for a single book yet! I can borrow books from the library right from my home computer, they're good for 21 days. It's awesome! Even if you live in a small town, your library may be a branch of a larger town library that has it, in which case you can still use it!

mountainmama74 said:
Those of you with Nooks - check your local library!! Mine has books for Nook (and actually just recently added Kindle books, but not as many and I know not all libraries have Kindle yet). I have had my Nook for 3 months and have not paid for a single book yet! I can borrow books from the library right from my home computer, they're good for 21 days. It's awesome! Even if you live in a small town, your library may be a branch of a larger town library that has it, in which case you can still use it!

Now I am really happy. I just checked and my local library is getting that option December 24th.

You will LOVE it. Its so easy and I'm reading constantly!

Coming in a bit late ...

Right now, I have a Nook Tablet, and my husband is playing with his new Kindle Fire next to me :)

1) If you are interested in using lots of apps/games, got for the Fire. Amazon's App Store has a LOT more titles, and generally at better prices. Plus, there's a free app every day.

2) If you want to get ebooks from sources other than your (local) library or the provider of your device, then I'd suggest the Nook - it's really easy to load ebooks I've purchased elsewhere from my computer to my Nook. It can be done on the Kindle, but you have to work harder at it

3) If you'd rather keep your "stuff" locally, get the Nook (you can use an SD card to expand the storage). If you don't mind using "cloud" storage (ie, on Amazon's machines), then use the Fire. (BN does have a way to archive/store online content you've purchased from them, but need off local storage for whatever reason, but you can't use it for content purchased elsewhere. I _think_ you can use Amazon's cloud storage for anything, but after a certain amount, you have to pay a fee)

4) Videos? Music? Get the Fire

Oh, and for your Amazon Prime account? You can link up to 4 other people to one Prime account (I have my mom & husband linked to mine). Yes, you can use it for multiple devices (including, interestingly enough, our new BluRay player). So don't spend extra for a separate Prime account for each of the kids, etc - invite them to share yours. Go under "Your Account" and "Manage Prime Membership"

SpiritdancerIA said:
Coming in a bit late ...

Right now, I have a Nook Tablet, and my husband is playing with his new Kindle Fire next to me :)

1) If you are interested in using lots of apps/games, got for the Fire. Amazon's App Store has a LOT more titles, and generally at better prices. Plus, there's a free app every day.

2) If you want to get ebooks from sources other than your (local) library or the provider of your device, then I'd suggest the Nook - it's really easy to load ebooks I've purchased elsewhere from my computer to my Nook. It can be done on the Kindle, but you have to work harder at it

3) If you'd rather keep your "stuff" locally, get the Nook (you can use an SD card to expand the storage). If you don't mind using "cloud" storage (ie, on Amazon's machines), then use the Fire. (BN does have a way to archive/store online content you've purchased from them, but need off local storage for whatever reason, but you can't use it for content purchased elsewhere. I _think_ you can use Amazon's cloud storage for anything, but after a certain amount, you have to pay a fee)

4) Videos? Music? Get the Fire

Oh, and for your Amazon Prime account? You can link up to 4 other people to one Prime account (I have my mom & husband linked to mine). Yes, you can use it for multiple devices (including, interestingly enough, our new BluRay player). So don't spend extra for a separate Prime account for each of the kids, etc - invite them to share yours. Go under "Your Account" and "Manage Prime Membership"

Well then..from what you put on here I think I made the right choice. I wanted it mainly for books..but the other things are nice too.

I got mine yesterday. I am playing with it. I am trying to put my first book on it..but need to enter a credit card number..even if it is a free book. So I have to wait for my husband to have a minute so I can get his CC# from him.

chefheidi2003 said:

If you're looking for free books for the Nook (B&N) they do offer a free book every Friday. Also if you're on FB, make sure you 'like' this page: Cheap E-Reads (they also have a lot of spin-offs for different genres: Nookhood, Casting Pearls, etc.) They have people that are constantly scanning bn.com for free or discounted books. When they post in your newsfeed (or on their wall), click on the link to get it right away. Often BN puts books on for free for only 1 day or shorter! I've gotten a TON of books this way...for free!

Check with your local library system too. Many libraries now have "digital sections" where you can borrow ebooks to read on your device for up to 21 days...then they return themselves! Nook uses the EPUB format, which is more standard than the Kindle version for getting ebooks from other sites/stores. You just have to "sideload" them to your Nook using your computer & USB cord.

SonyaVerrillo said:
If you're looking for free books for the Nook (B&N) they do offer a free book every Friday. Also if you're on FB, make sure you 'like' this page: Cheap E-Reads (they also have a lot of spin-offs for different genres: Nookhood, Casting Pearls, etc.) They have people that are constantly scanning bn.com for free or discounted books. When they post in your newsfeed (or on their wall), click on the link to get it right away. Often BN puts books on for free for only 1 day or shorter! I've gotten a TON of books this way...for free!

Check with your local library system too. Many libraries now have "digital sections" where you can borrow ebooks to read on your device for up to 21 days...then they return themselves! Nook uses the EPUB format, which is more standard than the Kindle version for getting ebooks from other sites/stores. You just have to "sideload" them to your Nook using your computer & USB cord.

I tried to find Cheap E-Reads on FB but I can't. Am I doing something wrong?

So I've been reading this post because I've been wondering the same thing.... I thought I would perhaps go get myself a tablet of sorts after the holidays. I was leaning to the Kindle Fire... welp, I'm getting one for Christmas... now I never snoop or shake boxes, yet every year I somehow know all the things my hubby gets me before Christmas day... and this year is no different. An email came to to my email adress yesterday that said "Your Best Buy Receipt" Gee I didn't buy anything. I open it and it is an e-receipt from the other day when he went shopping. Oops. Kind of excited for my Kindle!

vanscootin said:
So I've been reading this post because I've been wondering the same thing.... I thought I would perhaps go get myself a tablet of sorts after the holidays. I was leaning to the Kindle Fire... welp, I'm getting one for Christmas... now I never snoop or shake boxes, yet every year I somehow know all the things my hubby gets me before Christmas day... and this year is no different. An email came to to my email adress yesterday that said "Your Best Buy Receipt" Gee I didn't buy anything. I open it and it is an e-receipt from the other day when he went shopping. Oops. Kind of excited for my Kindle!

Sounds just like something my hubby would do. He has his own email address, but he puts mine down for everything.

On the other hand, he can be standing next to me at the register while I'm buying his Christmas gifts, and he'll be totally oblivious and not have a clue until he unwraps them.

If it makes you feel any better, the other day, I bought something that I really want. (It's an NFL Films 4 DVD set of last year's playoff games and the Superbowl.) I handed it to The Kat Lady and told her, "I'll be really surprised."Over the years, I've learned the hard way that it's the best way to get what I really want.;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If it makes you feel any better, the other day, I bought something that I really want. (It's an NFL Films 4 DVD set of last year's playoff games and the Superbowl.) I handed it to The Kat Lady and told her, "I'll be really surprised."

Over the years, I've learned the hard way that it's the best way to get what I really want.

;)

I'm pretty good at finding stuff he likes, he just has no idea that I'm buying it, even if he's standing right there. I, on the other hand, pretty much have to do what you do.

Just got a Kindle Fire yesterday (it's a gift for my hubby). We already own 2 Kindles, but he wanted the upgrade. It is SLICK!

It is actually fairly easy to send e-book formats to your Kindle once you set up the backend... you can either email it (it will convert PDF, but I try to get the .mobi file whenever possible - better formatting), or you can hook up USB cable and drag and drop using your windows explorer.

For free books - search for "pixel of ink" or "ereaderlove". Both are on FB and are also standalone websites too.

You do not need a separate Prime membership, as mentioned. You can choose which device to load the book to (and you can go back and load to a 2nd device if you want to share).

PampChefJoy said:
Just got a Kindle Fire yesterday (it's a gift for my hubby). We already own 2 Kindles, but he wanted the upgrade. It is SLICK!

It is actually fairly easy to send e-book formats to your Kindle once you set up the backend... you can either email it (it will convert PDF, but I try to get the .mobi file whenever possible - better formatting), or you can hook up USB cable and drag and drop using your windows explorer.

For free books - search for "pixel of ink" or "ereaderlove". Both are on FB and are also standalone websites too.

You do not need a separate Prime membership, as mentioned. You can choose which device to load the book to (and you can go back and load to a 2nd device if you want to share).

And I'm lost. LOL

vanscootin said:
And I'm lost. LOL

The tutorial/introduction that comes on the Kindle is pretty comprehensive, and covers the information about how to get books onto your kindle manually.

Here are the two sites Joy mentioned:

Free & Bargain eBooks | Pixel of Ink

eReaderLove.com | Free Kindle Books, Free Nook Books, & Free eReader Books

and one I use:

eReaderIQ.com | The Easier, Faster, Smarter Way to Kindle!

I've also looked at this one, but haven't used it yet:

Frequently Asked Questions - Lendle: Kindle Book Lending, Borrowing, & Sharing

And if you don't already have a Prime membership, you can learn more here:

Amazon.com: FREE Two-Day Shipping, No Minimum Purchase with Amazon Prime

vanscootin said:

I know everything I'm getting as well. I feel so bad cause my husband can NEVER surprise me, like when I check the mail and it's on the customs sheet, or he hides my new iPad (so excited!!!) in the same closet our daughter presents that need to be wrapped are lol. On top of that, the one he could have surprised me with, he made me wrap sheesh haha

Tonight my husband said to me..I found a laptop..oh shoot I didn't want to tell you that. He said well I guess it is too late. I found a laptop that I think would be perfect for you..but I wasn't going to surprise you with it. LOL. I know it isn't for Christmas but I still think that it is funny.

Just got my Nook Color yesterday! I knew I was getting it, but I've had to wait almost 2 months to "open" it! LOL
I purchased my first book last night, it was an exclusive ebook, and it was only $1.99. I haven't checked yet if the library has these to loan, but I would LOVE to get anyone's email address so I can start sharing books.

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I was a little aggravated at first because I don't have wifi at home so it wouldn't let me do anything. I used my computer and set up my Amazon account and then my son brought his cell phone which is a "hotspot" so I was able to use it to get the wifi to set up everything. Got my first book - The Hunger Games - and was happy. But, now I have finished The Hunger Games and am ready for the next one. Decided to go get a router so I will be able to use the wifi settings on my laptop and the Kindle...lol Hopefully I can get that done this week. But, I do know I have to take my youngest son to ball practice tomorrow and will be able to find wifi in town to get the rest of the Hunger Games books. Oh the life in rural towns...lol

Shawnna said:
I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I was a little aggravated at first because I don't have wifi at home so it wouldn't let me do anything. I used my computer and set up my Amazon account and then my son brought his cell phone which is a "hotspot" so I was able to use it to get the wifi to set up everything. Got my first book - The Hunger Games - and was happy. But, now I have finished The Hunger Games and am ready for the next one. Decided to go get a router so I will be able to use the wifi settings on my laptop and the Kindle...lol Hopefully I can get that done this week. But, I do know I have to take my youngest son to ball practice tomorrow and will be able to find wifi in town to get the rest of the Hunger Games books. Oh the life in rural towns...lol

While you're waiting to get your router, you can hook up your Kindle to your computer with the cable, and sync the contents that way. There should be directions in the Kindle's manual or on Amazon's website on how to do that.

So, I could purchase a book with my computer and it will sync to my Kindle?

Shawnna said:
So, I could purchase a book with my computer and it will sync to my Kindle?

Yes. I don't remember the details, but if you're logged into the Amazon account your Kindle is hooked up to, you can purchase on the computer, and you can use the cable to manually sync if you don't have WiFi access or a 3G Kindle. I prefer browsing on the computer anyway.

found the "pixel of ink" but not the "ereaderlove". Thanks Joy

I would suggest the Kindle- I am a fellow consultant and I have the perfect thing for you. I ordered two of the brand new Kindle DX and only needed one. The Kindles are affordable, which not only has wifi but also FREE 3G. That means you don't have to commit to a monthly payment and can use it on the go. I also would suggest the Archos Android tablet which has wifi and browser capabilities, as well, as email, etc.; I also have an extra of these, christmas mixups, heh.
Email me if interested theyre both $250 (they were retail $350). [email protected]
I

<h2>1. Which one is better, the Nook Tablet or the Kindle Fire?</h2><p>This is a highly debated topic and ultimately comes down to personal preference. Both the Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire have their own unique features and it ultimately depends on what you are looking for in a tablet.</p><h2>2. What are the main differences between the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire?</h2><p>The Nook Tablet has a slightly larger screen size at 7 inches compared to the Kindle Fire's 6 inches. The Nook Tablet also has expandable storage with a microSD card slot, while the Kindle Fire does not. Additionally, the Nook Tablet has a longer battery life and a dedicated physical home button.</p><h2>3. Can I access the same apps and content on both the Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire?</h2><p>Yes, both tablets have access to popular apps and content through their respective app stores. However, the Nook Tablet has the advantage of also being able to access the Google Play Store for a wider selection of apps.</p><h2>4. Is the Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire better for reading eBooks?</h2><p>Both tablets are great for reading eBooks, but the Nook Tablet has the advantage of being specifically designed for reading. It has a built-in anti-glare screen and a feature called "LendMe" which allows users to lend and borrow eBooks with other Nook users.</p><h2>5. Can I use the Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire for more than just reading?</h2><p>Yes, both tablets have a variety of features and functions beyond just reading eBooks. They can both be used for web browsing, streaming media, playing games, and more. However, the Nook Tablet may be better for those who primarily want to use their tablet for reading, while the Kindle Fire may be better for those who want a more versatile device.</p>

1. Which one is better, the Nook Tablet or the Kindle Fire?

This is a highly debated topic and ultimately comes down to personal preference. Both the Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire have their own unique features and it ultimately depends on what you are looking for in a tablet.

2. What are the main differences between the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire?

The Nook Tablet has a slightly larger screen size at 7 inches compared to the Kindle Fire's 6 inches. The Nook Tablet also has expandable storage with a microSD card slot, while the Kindle Fire does not. Additionally, the Nook Tablet has a longer battery life and a dedicated physical home button.

3. Can I access the same apps and content on both the Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire?

Yes, both tablets have access to popular apps and content through their respective app stores. However, the Nook Tablet has the advantage of also being able to access the Google Play Store for a wider selection of apps.

4. Is the Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire better for reading eBooks?

Both tablets are great for reading eBooks, but the Nook Tablet has the advantage of being specifically designed for reading. It has a built-in anti-glare screen and a feature called "LendMe" which allows users to lend and borrow eBooks with other Nook users.

5. Can I use the Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire for more than just reading?

Yes, both tablets have a variety of features and functions beyond just reading eBooks. They can both be used for web browsing, streaming media, playing games, and more. However, the Nook Tablet may be better for those who primarily want to use their tablet for reading, while the Kindle Fire may be better for those who want a more versatile device.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tropicalburstqt2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • pctharper
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pctharper
  • esavvymom