• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is It Time to Switch from PC to Mac After 5 Years?

In summary, a laptop's lifespan is usually about 3 years, but can last up to 5 years with regular use. A Mac is the best choice for someone who is not familiar with computers, as they tend to have more applications that can read files.
cookin to the top
Gold Member
My PC laptop just started to make a weird buzzing noise. I've had it for over 5 years, 2 of which were in Iraq. (Not the cleanest of conditions then). What is the normal lifespan of a laptop, in general? Is it time to switch to a Mac, or would it be worth it to have it looked at & fixed? What are your experiences?

Please.....anyone have any input?

I got a new one after 5 years. I think it is totally acceptable especially with needing more power for P3. We do still use the original one I bought for my biz it works fine just a bit slow. I do not feel it is worth the $ to repair a laptop.

I can't recommend Mac enough...this coming from somebody who is in IT support in a Windows shop. Don't forget that you can get refurb units directly at apple.com with the same warranty as brand new!

If you are still in the military you can go to hp.com and get their employee pricing. We just bought a laptop 2 weeks ago and are very happy. You have to have a .mil email to be able to get this discount. We saved a bunch!!!

Our old laptop was running slow, needed a new battery, etc. plus with my husband working on his thesis (he's at NPS) he needed something he could use to work from home and school. They can't use thumb drives, etc. right now so the only thing they can do is burn to CDs (pain in the butt with all the updates they'd need to do) or use the H drive at school. So using one laptop is soooo much easier.

We get a disount thruogh Dell w/PC. I love mine have had it for 3 years now and it works fine.

When my laptop died for the 2nd time, I was told it was going to cost about as much to fix it as to replace it.
That was when DH (who is NOT a computer person at all!) suggested I get a Mac - so that I didn't have to deal with pc issues all of the time.
He went and bought me a Mac Laptop, and I couldn't be happier! Love it, Love it, Love it!:love::love::love:

I think the average life of a laptop is 3 years with constant use. My DD & SIL got a good Dell one this time so it should last 5+ years. I think the "insides" get outdated as well.

I'm not a comp. pro- can you transfer files from your old PC to a new one? (To a mac?)

cookin to the top said:
I'm not a comp. pro- can you transfer files from your old PC to a new one? (To a mac?)

yes- you can, even a mac. Simplest in my opinion is to use those USB Memory sticks if you have a USB port on your old computer. All new computers will have them. I always created a folder on my old machine called "Backup" or something, and then put copies of all files in that one folder. Be sure to include your email, your bookmarks from your web browser, and of course P3 files. :D The main thing is to have applications that can read the files you transfer....which most Mac's do (i have one and love it and we just switched my DH's parents, and they love theirs!)

Good luck!

I would think after 5 years and 2 within harsh conditions, you probably are due for a new one. I LOVE my mac!! Wouldn't go anywhere with out it!

1. How long does a laptop typically last?

The average lifespan of a laptop is around 3-5 years, but this can vary depending on usage, maintenance, and brand.

2. What can I do to extend the lifespan of my laptop?

To extend the lifespan of your laptop, it is important to keep it clean, avoid overheating, and regularly update software and hardware components. It is also recommended to use a laptop case or sleeve for protection.

3. Should I choose a PC or Mac for a longer lifespan?

The lifespan of a laptop is not solely determined by its operating system. Both PCs and Macs can have a similar lifespan if properly maintained. It ultimately depends on personal preference and usage.

4. How often should I replace my laptop's battery?

Most laptop batteries have a lifespan of 2-4 years. If you notice a significant decrease in battery life or the battery is no longer holding a charge, it may be time to replace it.

5. Can I upgrade my laptop's hardware to extend its lifespan?

In some cases, you may be able to upgrade certain hardware components, such as RAM or storage, to improve your laptop's performance and extend its lifespan. However, it is important to check with the manufacturer or a professional before attempting any upgrades.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
PamperedDor
Replies
Views
heat123